Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Place 57 - 207 East 57th Street

Forum Veteran

Whoa, that was fast.

Looks nice! Maybe like 505 5th? I like the vertical window treatment/panes...their proportions look classic. The building does look luxe...worthy of being on 57th. No balconies sticking out like open drawers! Let´s hope it´s nice at steet level.

In the rendering, I like the way the base mediates between the old five-story foreground building and the taller stepped-back structure beyond.

Default noisy corner

I have been working in this neighborhood recently. Thers was alway a lot of heavy traffic in and around the 57th st intersection.

I wonder if it possible to have a "reasonably" quiet home in that building. Even if the windows are closed, I would imagine that the ambiant sounds of the area are ever present - and unsettling.

I guess one would have to move-in first to find out.

cheers

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Reminds me of 505 Fifth Ave.
    Exposed floor plates just like 325 Fifth Ave., 1600 Broadway, and bunch of others.
    Is this becoming a trend?

I love this. We are all so lucky the tenement is safe and how great the two look together. The brownstone tenement will wind up looking like a jewel and the modern building will acquire...I don´t know....history. I like the iron fire escapes and how they stand out...and look industrial, kind of modern themselves. THIS is the kind of buiding that should´ve gone up on that site behind Bloomingdales with the tenement at it´s side. And no "open drawer" balconies!

(if those are exposed floor plates this building pulls it off nicely...)

Default Place 57 - 207 E 57 St - by Ismael Levya / Sutton 57 - 212 E 57 St - by Thomas O'Hara

I can't believe there's not a separate thread on these....

Place 57:

Why must these new glass buildings have exposed floor plates? It ruins the look of the glass facade.

Case in point: I hope they put the blue strips along the rest of the concrete, it improves the look DRAMATICALLY

From the corner:

Ugly south wall

Sutton 57 is boring by comparison, but a decent filler nonetheless, quality materials. By now it was snowing heavy and I was right under it.

Quote Originally Posted by sfenn1117
    I can't believe there's not a separate thread on these....
    Actually there is one here and here. Take your pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by sfenn1117
    Ugly south wall
    That wall is facing east, but yes, it isn't pretty.

Are you a moderator? If not, you really should be. lol THANKS I was searching place 57 rather than the address. And yes, it is the east wall.

Delete this thread I guess.

The Dude Abides

From http://cityrealty.com/new_developments:

Occupancy has begun at Place 57 on East 57th Street 12-JUN-06

Occupancy has begun at Plaza 57, the 36-story residential condominium, midblock tower at 207 East 57th Street.
    All but two of the 68 apartments have been sold and work on the lobby is being completed. A two-bedroom unit is available for about $2,395,000 and a three-bedroom apartment is available for about $3,175,000.

The blue-glass-clad west, north and south facades of the building, which has an angled plan and is slightly cantilevered at its northwest corner are finished and add considerable sparkle to this midtown location. The east façade is windowless and not glass-clad as it is a “party wall.”

Ismael Leyva was the architect and the developer is The Clarett Group.

The building has a 24-hour doorman, a fitness center, a residents’ lounge, a children’s playroom, individual storage units and a concierge service is available. Working in partnership with famed crystal maker Baccarat, features include a lobby with crystal lighting and decor and an outdoor garden ornamented with chandeliers. Both are designed by interior designer Vicente Wolf.

The site was formerly occupied by the Sutton movie theater.

Clarett recently developed the 64-unit Opus at 2770 Broadway on the Upper West Side and is building Sky House, a 55-story condominium tower at 11 East 29th Street and Chelsea House, a 13-story condominium project at 130 West 19th Street Its other projects have included the handsome Post Luminaria at 385 First Avenue at 23rd Street.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Reminds me of 505 Fifth Ave.
    Exposed floor plates just like 325 Fifth Ave., 1600 Broadway, and bunch of others.
    Is this becoming a trend?
    I don't know how old your post is, Antinimby, but neither this building nor 1600 B'Way have exposed floor plates.

Over a year ago, buddy.

At the time, the floor plates were exposed.

I know they have since covered them up at all those places (and a good thing, too).

The Dude Abides

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast