Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25 South Street - 1921

Default 25 South Street - 1921

Can anyone tell me what was located at 26 State Street in 1921?
    It was recorded as a place of residence for a man that was found dead in Bryant Park on July 4th.
    Thank you so much for reading this.
    Betty

There's more than one State Street in NYC. Are you sure that your reference is to the Manhattan one? Around 1921, 26 State Street, Manhattan, seems to have been occupied by a moderately large office building, known as the Battery Park Building. If I recall correctly one of your earlier inquiries, your ancestor was a sailor or merchant seaman. Perhaps he had something to do with 26 State Street, Brooklyn, a site that's very close to the East River waterfront.
    Last edited by ManhattanKnight; December 19th, 2007 at 10:48 AM.

Agree that it's moer likely you're liooking for a Brooklyn address.

The closest address to 26 State Street in Manhattan that I could find is 24 State Street. Here is a link to a 1919 NY TIMES articles (pdf) about the slae of properties at 21-24 State Street.

An image of that area circa 1920 -- 26 State would be to the left of the lone tower at the right:

A.I.G. planned to erect nearly twin towers on properties it owned fronting on Battery Park as shown above,
    courtesy of AIG Archives Department

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Has to be Brooklyn.

Default ISorry but I made the post without checking the facts.

I guess my 73 year old brain is dead It was not State Street. I just went to look at the death certificate. And yes I am still on the trail of this guy, that was a sea captain. In 1921 he was a Naval Reserve Commander.

It was 25 SOUTH STREET that is listed as his residence on the death Certificate. But you are all wonderful for trying to answer an obtuse question.

25 South Street is the correct place.
    Sorry to be a dummy in Sweden

Death Certifcates are held at the NYC Municipal Archives in the fantasic old Surrogates Court Building at Chambers / Centre Street just to the north of City Hall Park (and across from the Manhattan Municipal Building) ...

MUNICIPAL ARCHIVES

For more information, call 311 or (212) NEW-YORK if outside of NYC.
    You can also e-mail the Municipal Archives via the Contact Us form.

MICROGRAPHICS UNIT

Since 1984, the staff of the Micrographics Unit have been preserving selected series from the Municipal Archives’ vast and diverse holdings on silver-halide microfilm. The director of the Municipal Archives determines which collections should be transferred to microfilm, based on the public’s demand for the information and the collection’s physical condition. Heavily referenced items, such as birth, marriage, and death certificates, are selected for microfilming to allow greater public access. Fragile materials, such as the early colonial records of New York City are microfilmed to help protect the original documents from excessive handling and overexposure to light.

The NY TIMES ran an article on this building just last week:

Streetscapes | Chambers and Centre Streets

The Hall of Records of 1907:
    Taking Credit Where Little Is Due

Inland Architect/Office for Metropolitan History
    BY HORGAN & SLATTERY The Hall of Records in 1907, at Chambers
    and Centre Streets. Arthur J. Horgan and Vincent J. Slattery,
    Tammany Hall architects, had their names put on the cornerstone,
    but it appears that all they did was to select the building's sculptural
    decoration.

The NYC Department of Buildingsstates that 26 South Street is now "Vacant Land".

At DOB the only Certificate of Occupancy for that site (24 - 26 South Street; Block: 34 / Lot: 30, 31) is from 1963 and shows it to be a surface parking lot.

The site is very near to where the NY Vietnam Veterans Memorial now stands.

NYC Department of Finance shows that the site is now 55 Water Street, one of the group of big ugly things along the SE Manhattan waterfront that went up in the late 60s / early 70s.

This massive 56 storey building was the largest office building in the world when completed (1972). It contains 278 800 square metres of office space. The building has vertical striping of windows on its upper floors, and horizontal striping on its lower floors.
    At one point there was a little park called "Jennette Park" on or near the site.
    This plaza [Vietnam VBetrans Memorial Plaza] consists of two parcels of land, each with a distinct origin and history of uses. The City of New York acquired the northern section of this plaza in 1686 and 1730 by virtue of the Dongan and Montgomerie Charters, which assigned all unused or excess properties to the City. At that time, the remainder of the property was in the East River and was known as Coenties Slip. When the Commissioners’ Plan of 1811 laid out Manhattan’s grid, the island contained hundreds of piers, but as the City’s population grew, the waterfront was filled in to make more land.

Coenties Slip was filled in 1835. In 1884 the trapezoidal parcel created by filling in Coenties Slip was named Jeannette Park in honor of The Jeannette, the flagship of the ill-fated Arctic Expedition (1879-1881) sponsored by New York Herald editor James Gordon Bennett, Jr., who named the ship after his sister.

In 1886, Horticulturist Samuel Parsons Jr., who served as Superintendent of Parks, designed Jeannette Park. More than 60 years later, Commissioner Robert Moses rebuilt the park with horseshoe pitches and tennis, paddleball, handball, and shuffleboard courts all arranged around a tear-shaped asphalt plaza with a flagpole. In 1967 the small square north of this property, which had belonged to the City since the 18th century, was designated parkland.
    In 1971 Paul Friedberg redesigned the enlarged, triangular property in brick, with an amphitheater fountain. The owners of the skyscraper at 55 Water Street maintain the site in exchange for receiving permission to build over what was once Coenties Slip.
    Some interesting INFO from the NYC DOF (scroll to the bottom of page and click "View Document" for a pdf of original) regarding the lot at 23- 25 State STreet (previously owned by the Seamens Church Institute of NY)

Ther used to be a little alley called Cuylers Alley running between South Street and Water Srreet; here's a shot circa 1930 (NYPL digital archives) showing a truckload of Christmas Trees there:

I think your Commander might have been living at the Seamen's Church Institute Building.

Here it is in 1922 (Demo'd ~ 1968 -- the lighthouse up top is now in the
    plaza at the South Street Seaport); South Street is seen on the right:

Museum of the City of New York, Underhill Collection

'THE AVERAGE PERSON SO SOON FORGETS'
    The Titanic Memorial Lighthouse atop the
    Seamen's Church Institute building at
    South Street and Coenties Slip in 1922.

sci

Default Thank You --Thank You

What a wealth of information you have.
    I do have his death certificate. I was just wondering if I could get a police report.
    You are wonderful
    Thank you.
    Betty

"Jeanette Park, South Street, Coenties Slip"

ROTH, Ernest David NA, (New York, NY, 1879-1964):
    "Jeanette Park, South Street, Coenties Slip",
    depicts a 1940's skyline of bustling New York City,
    etching, 13 1/2" x 17 1/2", SLR in pencil, dated 46,
    signed, dated and titled in the plate, in exceptional condition.

Sold for $400.00

http://www.burchardgalleries.com/auc...n2101/l032.jpg

My pleasure ^
    Quote Originally Posted by bettyinsweden View Post

... police report ...
    Hmmmm ... got me on that one.

I'd still give the Archives a shot.

The entire South Street area is now the 1st Precinct NYPD, but NYPD precincts were organized differently in 1920s.

Here's a LINK to a big MAP showing how the precincts were laid out pre-1950s (the star shows the site where the HQ used to be at Grand / Centre Streets-- before the HQ moved downtown to the very serious 1 Police Plaza, and the old HQ became a fancy condo )

In fact the 1st Precinct HQ used to be located at Old Slip, just a couple of blocks away from 26 South Street. It is now the home to the NYPD Museum (yikes -- the Museum has a pretty sorry website ).

Good luck!

Renamed thread to correct address.

Lots of good stuff here!

Default Police report

But would the police in the area of his residence have a report? He was found in Bryant Park, is that not near the Big Library at 41st Street?

This man was born in Sweden in a castle (his father was a carpenter there)
    Married in New Orleans -traveled from San Francisco to Manila from 1899-1913 as a ships Captain delivering men and supplies during the war there. Then crossed the Atlantic many times during WWI. Again with men and supplies. Including mines. Then shoots himself in the head in Bryant Park.
    At least that is what the death cert says!
    Betty

Actually, my first guess about your ancestor's "residence" was the Seamen's Church Institute. It just didn't work with that State Street address. Here's a roughly contemporaneous view looking west from the East River:

Seaport: New York's Vanished Waterfront. Photographs from the Edwin Levick Collection. Smithsonian Books, Washington, in Association with the Mariner's Museum, 2004.
    "The imposing Seamen's Church Institute dominated its section of Water Street and became known to locals as simply 'the Seamen's Building.' Sailors who stayed there referred to it as 'the doghouse'."
    Last edited by ManhattanKnight; December 19th, 2007 at 04:33 PM.

The Dude Abides

^Handsome building, even somewhat resembles a castle. Pity it was demolished.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast