Thread: UES to EWR - Driving (Best Way)

Default UES to EWR - Driving (Best Way)

I live on the UES near 86th St. and I travel for a living. I used to travel from LGA, but that is no longer an option. It looks like the majority of the time, I'll be traveling from EWR...specifically from the South area (not the passenger terminals).

After two dry runs this week, I finally figured out I want to stay on 95S until exit 13A, which puts me very close to the South area. Mapquest, Yahoo!, etc. had me taking 95S to 78W and coming in from the North end of the airport. That was a mess.

My real question is whatís the best way (assuming the worst time of day) to get from the UES to Jersey?

So far Iíve tried 97th St across to the Henry Hudson to 42nd St. to 11th Ave to the 40th St. entrance of the Lincoln Tunnel. That was a nightmare. But not as bad as taking Park Ave down to the 40ís and trying to get cross-town there.

I feel like going up to the GW is probably best, but it just seems SO far out of the way.

And Iím reluctant to try the FDR down to Houston/Canal to the Holland Tunnel because the FDR can be a trap. As could be getting cross-town down there.

And then thereís always the Tri-Borough to the BQE to the Verrazano Bridge through Staten Island.

Obviously there are many options. Anyone want to suggest what they think is the best?

TIA.

Tipsy

Would you consider doing part of the trip using mass transit? From Manhattan, I have travelled to LGA,JFK, and EWR many times both by using mass transit and by driving, and can tell you for cost/reliability perspective, you can't beat it - this probably is only practical if you are travelling light..

I would recommend mass transit if possible.

Option 1: 6 train => E train => Airtrain at Penn Station
    Option 2: 4/5/6 train => N/R train => Airtrain at Penn Station
    Option 3: 4/5/6 train => Bus (coachusa.com) from Grand Central

But if you must drive, maybe take a timed one-way avenue south instead of the Henry Hudson or Park Avenue. The one-way avenues have timed lights, and generally move ok.

Option 4: 5th Ave or Lexington Ave southward => 66th St west (thru Central Park) => West End Ave southward to the 11th Av & 40th St entrance.

If there's not that much traffic, maybe just forget the whole 11th Av & 40th St "back entrance". So before leaving, listen to radio traffic reports on 1010am or 880am, and if there's not much of a delay at Lincoln tunnel, don't bother with the back entrance.

Option 5: 97th St west => Columbus Ave southward (turns into 9th Ave) => one of the Lincoln tunnel entrances between 34th & 42nd St off 9th Ave.

Peak traffic (as defined by E-Z pass) tends to be 6am-9am & 4pm-7pm (M-Fr), and 12noon-8pm (Sat-Sun).

Quote Originally Posted by NYCResident
    Would you consider doing part of the trip using mass transit? From Manhattan, I have travelled to LGA,JFK, and EWR many times both by using mass transit and by driving, and can tell you for cost/reliability perspective, you can't beat it - this probably is only practical if you are travelling light..
    You hit the nail on the head. I've just got too much stuff for public transit. I'd never make it past the transfer from the 6 to the E at 53rd (HUGE flight of stairs when the escalator is inop). Plus, the AirTrain only goes as far as terminal A, and I need to get to cargo (South Area).

I know you can't have your cake and eat it too, but dealing with traffic is still a better option than lugging all my stuff through 3 trains, plus the AirTrain plus a cab.

Good recommendations though! Keep 'em comin'!

Tipsy

I would avoid Holland Tunnel. Having driven through it a few times, and having walked by the approaches many times, I believe that the congestion there is worse than Lincoln Tunnel.

To travel South from UES I would not recommend 2nd Ave, since it comes to a standstill near the 59th St. Bridge and the Midtown Tunnel. 9th Ave. is also jammed long before the tunnel entrance. I have had some success with taking 5th Ave. down and turning right on 34th St. or 37th St.