View Poll Results: Are you surprised that the Market is crashing after the Bail Out was delivered last w

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't understand the crisis, so I don't know.

0 0%
  • I've tuned this story out, so I don't know.

0 0%
  • Yes

1 11.11%
  • No

8 88.89%

Thread: Are you surprised?

Banned Member

Default Are you surprised?

Are you honestly surprised that the stock market has crashed below 10,000 points in the wake of the $700billion bailout by Congress + $630billion cash infusion by the Fed last week?

This downward trend could eventually lead to a stock market crash and eventual depression. Alot more than a simple bail out bill would be needed to stabilize this economy.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I think we have been long overdue for a major crash.

Despite McCain's attempts to claim otherwise, a lot of people saw this coming.

Good side is that apartments are going to get cheaper.

I don't believe the 700 billion had an impact on it directly, circulating 700 billion will take months, and it wont be months until we see the real results. I think this drop is the same reason the the dow lost 700 last week, people aren't buying, and they are not spending money because they are scared. Lets not blame bad leadership yet, lets wait to see what happens.

Edit: Also in 29, the market lost 40 percent in one day, we have maybe lost 30 percent in one year, so maybe its in the horizon.

Here's the thing. Wall street only seems to make money when people spend it like idiots.

When people come to their senses (Bubble bursting) all sorts of woe sets in as things normalize.

The problem her is that we are likely to see the negative side of from a swing of a financial pendulum that was pushed so far off center, and had gotten so large, that it encompasses much more than it should.

Could you imagine of Social Security had gotten privatized?

I am sitting here watching my 401K get smaller than it was 3 years ago, INCLUDING contributions I have made since then. I am not investing in real estate, or electronics (directly). They are all spread funds across nations and across quite a bit of market, but they all tanked. Close to 33%. This recession, as it stands now, put my savings back 5 years (recovery wise).

Nice!

But yet I am being constantly told, by wall street, to stay put for the long run. Do you realize that if I had gotten out on day one, the day we dropped, what, 400+ points, I would have saved about 10%?

So what lessons are we learning with this? We are the mules that are keeping things afloat. But even the mules are now starting to jump ship, both here and abroad.

I would feel more comfort about this being something we "all have to endure" if I did not see the middle class bearing the brunt (the upper % has been largely protected or bailed early, the lower class does not even invest, so where did all this cash come from? Guess).

As for this bailout. It is pointless as it is structured now. It needs more oversight by people we can trust who know more about this situation.

Problem is, we need a Dr Quinn right now and all we have is the Nutty Professor.

Wall street is on Flubber.

The Crash has not yet taken place.

Fun fact - the great crash of '29 actually was 3 separate huge declines in the span of a week. But that wasn't the worst part...the market actually recovered a lot of the losses over the next few months... before falling 90% over the following two years.

No matter how bad something seems... it could always be worse. Course if you're young, you can always wait it out. If you bought stocks in October '29, you only needed to wait 25 years to get back to even!

Another 508 points and 5 % in the DOW
    Another 108 points AND almost 6 % in the NASDAQ
    Another 60 points and almost 6 % in the S&P

DAM...depression right around the corner, hope not

Quote Originally Posted by TheFivePoints View Post
    Another 508 points and 5 % in the DOW
    Another 108 points AND almost 6 % in the NASDAQ
    Another 60 points and almost 6 % in the S&P

DAM...depression right around the corner, hope not
    I have taken an interest into the financial crisis, reading on the crash of 29, the fault seemed to lie upon uneducated reckless, unprotected investors. Not to worry though, our wonderful government will rescue us from harms way, and we will defeat the terrorist in terrorist land!