Page 114 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1464104110111112113114115116117118 ... LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 1860

Thread: Downtown Brooklyn Development

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

antinimby doesn't know what he is talking about.

if they build tall in that location the views would be insane. here is a hint - http://www.dklb.com/?source=googlead...FQ7xOgodNDEA7A

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

I know what I am talking about. It's you that don't know what I am talking about.

Of course any location near Manhattan/harbor/skyline is going to have a great view if you can go high above everything else. My point is that the views from that specific location isn't going to be that much different than the site next to it, and the site next to that and so on. In other words, it isn't anymore special as far as offering potential views than other sites.

So tell me why they would go supertall here and now, especially with the added costs of building tall, than many other sites all around there, some of which have more buildable square footage, haven't already?

(BTW, what the hell is that link suppose to show?)
    Last edited by antinimby; January 4th, 2014 at 08:34 PM.

^ Very nice views. Nice building, too.

http://www.dklb.com/?source=googlead...FQ7xOgodNDEA7A

Edit: Damn, I hate it when the link is the same for everything.
    Last edited by Merry; January 9th, 2014 at 09:57 AM.

Your logic is senseless.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Of course any location near Manhattan/harbor/skyline is going to have a great view if you can go high above everything else. My point is that the views from that specific location isn't going to be that much different than the site next to it, and the site next to that and so on. In other words, it isn't anymore special as far as offering potential views than other sites.
    So no developer would put up a taller building that doesn't have first-of-a-kind views from within?
    Explain West 57th Street, Riverside South, the LIC, Williamsburg and Greenpoint waterfronts, etc.
    Actually on the contrary, a developer is more likely to build higher when a location has already proven successful at returning fat returns.

So tell me why they would go supertall here and now, especially with the added costs of building tall, than many other sites all around there, some of which have more buildable square footage, haven't already?
    This statement essentially assumes that one developer owns all sites, and does so at the same acquisition cost basis with the same operating costs.

Sorry, I assumed that you knew how to operate a hyperlink.
    It is Forest City's 4 year old 36 story rental building on the same block that filled up in no time and collects top dollar rents.
    Clearly there is motivation for FC to build higher here, and he has shown the desire previously (scuttled City Tech site tower plan). The specific economics of this site also call for it.

There are currently several 50+ story buildings going up within blocks of this site (eg. Steiner's Hub, BAM North I). The trend is continuing upward.

Please leave your bitterness tone at home. I realize how personal you take things when talking about Brooklyn but we're all just guessing here. Neither of us knows how tall this will be but looking at this area, the likelihood of a supertall (1000+ ft) is very slim to none.

Even in Manhattan, there is really only one supertall residential building built and that's in the 100+ years of intense skyscraper development and only in one of the most prime area (Central Park south). Downtown Brooklyn has nowhere near that kind of history.

Lastly, an area does not go from a bunch of 30-50 stories and out of the blue jump to 90+ stories. I can see 60 or even 70 but not anything higher than that for now.
    Last edited by antinimby; January 5th, 2014 at 10:19 AM.

I'd take 50-60 and I'm expecting Barclay Tower instead of New York by Gehry. City Point phase 3 is supposed to be 70 floors I believe.

Even in Manhattan, there is really only one supertall residential building built and that's in the 100+ years of intense skyscraper development and only in one of the most prime area (Central Park south). Downtown Brooklyn has nowhere near that kind of history.
    The economics of supertall residential construction have only made sense for about 2 years now, and there are around a dozen or so supertall residentials built, u/c or planned. It would make sense that there might eventually be some interest in supertalls in areas of Brooklyn with extreme demand.

History is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to supertalls in NYC, because there was no such residential market in the past.

^ Actually, history makes a big difference in the likelihood of a supertall being buit in a certain area. When one place (Manhattan) has a long history of building skyscrapers, then it is more likely to build higher and higher, eventually reaching and surpassing the 1000 ft mark.

A place with less skyscraper development will not all of a sudden jump from low or medium highrises to supertall in a short span of time. It takes time, which is what history is.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Also the value of the land has to be high enough to warrant that kind of height. This does not apply to 'upstart' nations that want to increase their prestige by going supertall. In that respect I could see Brooklyn going to 80 floors in the downtown area. The only nothing views face east. I looked over there when I wanted to buy.

The immediate area isn't super-desirable with all the buses, McDonald's, Applebee's, LIU, and that crummy hospital nearby. I expect a run-of-the-mill luxury tower 40-60 floors. Maybe in a few years when the office building next door is redeveloped we can expect something exceptional.

Please leave your bitterness tone at home. I realize how personal you take things when talking about Brooklyn but we're all just guessing here. Neither of us knows how tall this will be but looking at this area, the likelihood of a supertall (1000+ ft) is very slim to none.

Lastly, an area does not go from a bunch of 30-50 stories and out of the blue jump to 90+ stories. I can see 60 or even 70 but not anything higher than that for now.
    You are the person taking the tone - remember this?
    I'm happy to have an informed debate about Brooklyn, or any area, on this forum. That's what makes this resource so interesting.

My problem with you is that you are a perpetual know-it-all who doesn't know it all, and that your ego immediately results in caustic response anytime someone dear challenge your proclamations. This dynamic is demonstrated by your nasty tone, and your insistence on framing the question as 1000+ feet or bust.

Nothing is currently slated in Brooklyn for over 600 feet. A tower at this site of 800 feet tall, for example, would be remarkable. That is the point of my statement, which should be apparent if you focused more on replying to what i write, and less on making yourself feel good.

This didn't help.

^ Thank you Zippy.

@ BrooklynLove -

Your first posts on this matter started with these personal attacks. Show me where I attacked your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynLove View Post
    Your logic is senseless.
    Sorry, I assumed that you knew how to operate a hyperlink.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynLove View Post
    antinimby doesn't know what he is talking about.

I know hyperlinks but all that showed was some promotional pics of people on the ground, not the aerial view you were claiming to show. I am not about to go looking for it. When you put a link to show something, it should lead directly to it, otherwise for courtesy, you should describe the linked steps.

As for my supposedly "know-it-all attitude," that's almost laughable. The tone of my posts are no different than everybody else's here. Notice I use words such as "I doubt" and "neither of us knows" which humbly acknowledges that I'm not sure of something. Where do you say anything remotely close to that?

Your posts here instead are the most arrogant and confrontational than anyone's. There is no denying this. Everyone can go back the last two pages and see it so don't even try to.

Lastly, if you bothered to follow the initial discussion before you interjected with your rudeness, you'd realize that we were indeed talking about supertall (1000 ft) and that wasn't even brought up by me so you are wrong on that as well.
    Last edited by antinimby; January 7th, 2014 at 09:18 AM.

^ Thank you Zippy.

@ BrooklynLove -

Your first posts on this matter started with these personal attacks. Show me where I attacked your posts.

I know hyperlinks but all that showed was some promotional pics of people on the ground, not the aerial view you were claiming to show. I am not about to go looking for it. When you put a link to show something, it should lead directly to it, otherwise for courtesy, you should describe the linked steps.

As for my supposedly "know-it-all attitude," that's almost laughable. The tone of my posts are no different than everybody else's here. Notice I use words such as "I doubt" and "neither of us knows" which humbly acknowledges that I'm not sure of something. Where do you say anything remotely close to that?

Your posts here instead are the most arrogant and confrontational than anyone's. There is no denying this. Everyone can go back the last two pages and see it so don't even try to.

Lastly, if you bothered to follow the initial discussion before you interjected with your rudeness, you'd realize that we were indeed talking about supertall (1000 ft) and that wasn't even brought up by me so you are wrong on that as well.

OMG enough, if the two of you want to bicker back and forth over foolishness do it offline. I come here for news about projects, not an episode of real world.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

There's always PM.