Page 115 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115116117118119 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,725 of 1860

Thread: Downtown Brooklyn Development

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    I know hyperlinks but all that showed was some promotional pics of people on the ground, not the aerial view you were claiming to show. I am not about to go looking for it. When you put a link to show something, it should lead directly to it, otherwise for courtesy, you should describe the linked steps.
    As I discovered, it's not possible to link directly to a specific image because the site has been built using Flash. The aerial view is under the Residences link - very easy to find.

A bit of an overreaction, me thinks FWIW.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

^ So you don't agree with what I said?

^ Regarding the specific quote in #1711, no, I don't agree. I found the views quickly and easily. No instructions required.

It's interesting that you like to take this particular subject further here instead of in PM. I suppose bkguy is fuming right now but realize I'm not the one extending this side discussion.

Anyway, here goes...

I don't know if there's a general forum/internet etiquette regarding links but there should be. I understand that in this particular instance you found the "view" but it shouldn't be left up to you, the reader, to look for and decide which it is that the poster of the link is referring to.

Regardless of ease, if the link does not show it immediately, it should not be expected of the readers to go and find it and guess if that is the right page. And in fact, I would guess that, you obviously being the exception, most other people wouldn't bother with the trouble. I know I stopped once I saw there were 10 other links there. (Not everybody is as enthusiastic about developer's sales website as you seem to be.)

It really isn't that difficult to put in instructions. Something simple like this would've suffice: (click on "Residences")

It takes all the guessing and unnecessay work out and makes life easier for everybody.
    Last edited by antinimby; January 11th, 2014 at 12:17 PM.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

antinimby - i don't like fighting. here is my proposal. how about i take you on a tour of what's happening downtown, including my house. let me know.

love,
    brooklynlove.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

biggie in the works here - http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2014...-frontpage-top
    two buildings coming down and a parking lot in between.

also these guys -http://www.empiremanagement.com/Company.aspx - are building out nassau street now nearby.

and there are multiple developments underway within blocks.

this place was HORRENDOUS when i was a kid.

whowouldathunkit

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    It's interesting that you like to take this particular subject further here instead of in PM.
    Why didn't you, when all this started?

I made an observation, and then you asked me a question on the forum and I answered it on the forum.

(Not everybody is as enthusiastic about developer's sales website as you seem to be.)
    Don't make assumptions. I'm not. I was interested enough to make the (minimal) effort to find the views...all by myself .

And in fact, I would guess that, you obviously being the exception, most other people wouldn't bother with the trouble.
    Another assumption, with which I disagree.

Let's agree to disagree, because I thought the "Residences" link was the first logical choice...not to mention much ado about nothing.
    Last edited by Merry; January 12th, 2014 at 02:15 AM.

Re #1716, this is a beautiful building. Shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Merry View Post
    Why didn't you, when all this started?

I made an observation, and then you asked me a question on the forum and I answered it on the forum.
    As far as I was concerned, it all ended until your "observation" @ post # 1711 quoted me. When someone quotes me, I am going to assume you are speaking to me. You are the one initializing the conversation. When people PM me, I PM them back. (Let me guess...you don't agree)

Quote Originally Posted by Merry View Post
    Let's agree to disagree, because I thought the "Residences" link was the first logical choice...not to mention much ado about nothing.
    Well, if that is the case, why are you devoting THREE (3) posts, with this very last one breaking my post into segments, on it? Aren't you just as guilty? ( Let me guess again...you don't agree?)

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynLove View Post
    biggie in the works here - http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2014...-frontpage-top
    two buildings coming down and a parking lot in between.

also these guys -http://www.empiremanagement.com/Company.aspx - are building out nassau street now nearby.

and there are multiple developments underway within blocks.

this place was HORRENDOUS when i was a kid.

whowouldathunkit
    That sucks, that's a nice building.

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
    Excavation Work Continues at 85 Flatbush Avenue Extension

Once upon a time 85 Flatbush Avenue Extension (75 Flatbush Avenue Extension as it was referred to back then) was going to be at the vanguard of the post-rezoning building boom in Downtown Brooklyn. In 2006 and 2007, plans were under way for a 21-story Jetsons-like tower designed by Ismael Leyva. That project failed to get traction, and then came the real estate recession. The triangular plot of land languished as it was hit with a $17,000,000 lien, and foreclosure proceedings set in. According to PropertyShark, the property was purchased (with all the debt, presumably) last January for a piddling $392,570 by the Read Property Group (the same developer currently trying to get approval for a massive redevelopment of the old Rheingold Brewery site in Bushwick). As the photo above shows, construction is now in full gear, though the plans now call for a downsized 12-story building. Still, it’ll be nice for this high-profile corner of Downtown Brooklyn to be more than a hole in the ground.

85 Flatbush rising towards the lower-right.

kriegs

This swath of Downtown Brooklyn between MetroTech and DUMBO is an urban disaster area. It's often the first glimpse visitors see of Brooklyn coming off the bridges and it leaves so much to be desired. There is no semblance of place and every two blocks is cut off from the next with tower in the park developments, highway off ramps, super-wide boulevards, and useless promenades.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Robert Moses at his finest! Walking around there is a total nightmare, especially at night.

I agree Derek, what do you recommend?

I don't think anything major can be done to bring the area back from the lost dimension. We'd need another Robert Moses.
    Infill development will probably continue between the on-ramps, overpasses and public housing; and the Jehovah Witnesses moving out is a good thing for street life.

I've imagined an elevated market selling made in Brooklyn merchandise above the Adams Street section of the Brooklyn Bridge pedestrian walkway. Many visitors who make the trek over the Brooklyn Bridge and have the misfortune of missing the stairs to DUMBO quickly turn back once they arrive in that pedestrian nightmare. Like Staten Island and its ferry, this just equates to lost revenue.

Besides all the urban mistakes Derek mentioned, I'd also add in a couple more: large footprint buildings (blockbusters) and little in the way of retail.

When you have so many of these unfriendly pedestrian features, is it a surprise pedestrians avoid it?