Page 16 of 124 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Downtown Brooklyn Development

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    You can say that again. Combine that with the Brooklyn Museum, Prospect Park and Atlantic Yards, and you can say Brooklyn is lurching toward worldclasshood. It's true, however, that some folks sound as though they prefer it as a backwater.
    Yeah, and then during economic hardtimes, complain that the city ignores them in favor of Manhattan.
    Here's a chance for Brooklyn to grow and prosper, but those same selfish people would rather see Brooklyn stay stagnant. Complete idiots.

Image from The New York Sun...

Space TALK:
    Hint of What Renzo Piano’s New Brooklyn Tower Will Look Like,
    Courtesy of The New York Sun

by Brooklyn Eagle
    published online 09-27-2006

DOWNTOWN BROOKLYN — Following last week’s story in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle on the new tower planned by CUNY and Forest City Ratner for the New York City Technical College, a similar article appeared in The New York Sun.

The Sun article also contained a model of what the tower — planned for the corner of Tillary and Jay Streets, at the entrance to City Tech and MetroTech — would look like.

However, Joyce Baumgarten, of Getto & DeMilly, a spokesperson for Forest City Ratner, said the model was not the official one.

© Brooklyn Daily Eagle 2006

at one million square feet, does anyone have an idea what the height of this thing will be? what are the dimensions of that site?

Well we can try to break it down:

Previous articles have mentioned an 8 story wing for classrooms. If that wing is truly 8 stories in that leaked rendering, then this tower looks about 40 stories.....it might push 500 feet?

Doesn't look overly tall....or very exciting shape wise.

that sounds about right ... though who knows, maybe we're in for a surprise.

Those buildings on the south side of the tower are about 20 stories tall. The right (east) one is a 19 story Polytechnic dormitory.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Those buildings on the south side of the tower are about 20 stories tall. The right (east) one is a 19 story Polytechnic dormitory.
    Then I would wager that it's a pretty tall building. Thats what I was thinking since the rendering shows a pretty slender building and 1 million square feet is alot for a residential.

May I remind everyone this?

Quote Originally Posted by krulltime View Post
    However, Joyce Baumgarten, of Getto & DeMilly, a spokesperson for Forest City Ratner, said the model was not the official one.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    No, I don't think it's the dorm. It seems like the model only focuses on buildings for this project. Remember it is supposed to be surronded by 8 story wings.

If those low-rises were indeed 20 stories, the tower would have to be about 80, and we know that's impossible in this city.

Check out this aerial again. They mentioned the tower was on the SE corner of Tillary & Jay and if those buildings were indeed 8 stories the ones to the right would be like 2 floors.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poly.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	2505   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0253 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	2506   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0482 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	2507   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0486 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	2508   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0490 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	2291 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	2509  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0491 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	2510  
    Last edited by Derek2k3; September 28th, 2006 at 04:28 PM.

Here is something new and under construction in Downtown Brooklyn on Duffield Street... Notice the little one aswell.

According to http://www.brooklyneagle.com/ it will be a Sheraton Hotel.

One look at that ^^ yellow one and all I could think was "Gene Kaufman" ...

And lo and behold: DOB for 222 Duffield St.
    Arch.: Gene Kaufman
    Owner: John Lam
    23 Stories
    250' Height
    Hilton, Sheraton considering downtown Brooklyn

http://www.newyorkology.com/archives..._sheraton.html

Construction will begin in September on two new hotels in downtown Brooklyn, possibly a 300-room Sheraton or a 180-room Hilton Garden, according to Brooklyn Daily Eagle. (Free, but extremely annoying registration process required to see their story.)

The hotels would be built on adjoining lots at 216-228 Duffield St., near Willoughby Street. (Map.) The property was purchased in October by hotel developer John Lam of The Lam Group, which has built several other hotels in the city.

The Duffield Street location is near Junior's cheesecake empire and not far from the only other big hotel in the borough, a Marriott, which is now undergoing a 280-room expansion. Nearby subway lines include the exciting M and R at Metro Tech; the 2 and 3 at Hoyt; and the A, C and F at Jay St./Borough Hall.

Wow! I'll deal with the little one if we can get the bigger one built! It looks over 50 stories tall!

And Kaufman even maintained streetwall. Shocking.

So I try to view the article online, and everytime I click on the link to the story, or any other story, it brings me to a stupid default page asking for money. Why did I bother to register?

And on the front cover, the rendering by Gene Kaufman hackitect says :

"The architect's rendering of the 27-story, 500 room side-by-side hotels planned for Duffield Street in downtown Brooklyn, which will have a shared rooftop with unparalleled views."

So let's see, the tower on the left is 23 stories, the right is about 50, what is going on here? I'm really interested in that right, glass tower now.

I think Krullie subscribes to the BE. Wait for his reply.

But damn! Kaufman is crossing the East River?