Page 24 of 124 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast

Thread: Downtown Brooklyn Development

^I'm hoping the SOM tower is something grand....it's a sharp triangular site that begs for something creative.

The Avalon Bay site is huge, and even a 42 story tower could be a hulking mess. Without zoning/height limits it could be a slender 70 story tower. This is why Chicago's tallest residentials top out at 60-80 floors, and our tallest top out 40-60 floors.

Default Walentas on Atlantic & Court

I had heard this was a hotel project. Guess not...

Walentas ‘Independence’ plan back on track

By Christie Rizk
    The Brooklyn Paper
    A Cobble Hill apartment building project that was temporarily suspended last year is back in full swing. Developer David Walentas’s plan for a 37-rental-unit building on the corner of Atlantic Avenue and Court Street has been revamped and redesigned.
    Community Board 6 rejected the Walentas’s original plan for an 81-foot building in 2005, and the Landmarks Preservation Commission refused to give the company permission to demolish a smaller building on Atlantic Avenue, next to the property, in 2006.
    But it seems the kinks have been worked out.
    “The project is definitely back up again,” said project manager Sam Charney, who didn’t want to go into detail before full design plans are revealed in two weeks.
    What is known is that Walentas’s Two Trees Management wants to build a six-story building on the current parking lot behind the Sovereign Bank building, with stores at street level.
    The LPC has approved the proposed building’s facade, as it is required to do for any new structure going up in a historic district.
    The initial proposal called for tearing down a small annex to the 84-year-old Renaissance revival-style bank, converting the old bank building to housing and connecting the two buildings with a glass bridge. But the LPC insisted on the preserving the annex.
    Two Trees is now looking for a major retailer to occupy the bank space. Construction is set to start late this summer, and the building is expected to be done in 2009.

©2007 The Brooklyn Paper

Default Some Downtown Developments

110 Livingston:

14 Townhouses:

The stalled Smith House:

A tower crane has gone in at Schermerhorn and Hoyt:

The site of the future Walentes project in the article above:

Banned Member

The Smith House aka Luxe + Pop is of the same crap aesthetic as every other Boylemengreen project. The brick work going up on Atlantic is so bad I cringe walking past it. Truly a blemish on an up and coming area.

Thanks for the pictures Xemu.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Anyone else think that row of townhouses were a bow to the NIMBYs?

Why would you build an entire block of townhouses in DT Brooklyn of all places?

Anyway, in the fourth pic above, that site at Schermerhorn and Hoyt is where a 25-story rental is going up.

I believe the design firm is the Stephens B. Jacobs group, the same one's who did Boulevard East nearby and of course, 325 Fifth in Manhattan.

well kinda...This block is really the dividing line between Dtwn Bk. & Boerum Hill. Before being knocked down for a parking lot, the entire block use to be lined with brownstones and they still line the southern side of State Street across from this development.

These townhouses are part of a master plan by Time Equities to develop the entire block. The southern side is to be developed with lowscale townhouses while the northern side will have mid-high rises. I like how the developers actually cared to build projects with some kind of architectural integrity. The block just east of this going through a similar type of development but looks horrible so far.

Schermerhorn House designed by Polshek is the next to rise on this block and is already under construction methinks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	090105131206.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	3751   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schermerhorn House 1  Polshek.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	3752  

Banned Member

I agree with Derek. If you saw where they are built, it is a very apprpriate development, finishing out a classic rowhouse/brownstone block. Mid-rise development will be directly behind it. It is a rather nice design.

Banned Member

FYI - Oro condo is up to 13 stories.

Default Schermerhorn House

Thanks for that graphic derek. Schermerhorn House has been underway for some time now. They're still working on the foundation though. Here's a pic I took of the site the other day (14 townhouses in the background):

I think I read that the foundation work at this site is especially complicated because of the huge Hoyt-Schermerhorn station below. If 14 Townhouses is anything to go on this building should turn out pretty nice. Fingers crossed...

Can anyone comment on 125 Court? Looking to move into the neighborhood, seems like a nice building but haven't got a chance to see in person, or know about any problems with it-

Default News on The House of D

April 3, 2007
    To Help Rikers, City Wants More Prisoners in Brooklyn

By TRYMAINE LEE
    The city’s Department of Correction wants to double the number of prisoners it plans to house at a reopened Brooklyn House of Detention as part of its effort to ease pressure on the aging jail complex on Rikers Island officials said yesterday.
    The plan to expand the Brooklyn jail, which has been closed since 2003, will take five years and should help the city eliminate beds for 4,000 prisoners at Rikers Island, Correction Department officials said. Most of those inmates would be transferred to the Brooklyn House of Detention, at Boerum Place and Atlantic Avenue, and to a planned jail in the Oak Point section of the Bronx, the officials said.
    The Brooklyn jail, in its current state, has room for 749 inmates. The expansion would allow it to house 1,479.
    The expansion would be built on empty land next to the House of Detention, which is in the heart of a booming residential and commercial area, and it would include jail space and a retail development, officials said. The existing building would not be altered.
    Stephen Morello, a spokesman for the Correction Department, said the city would soon seek proposals from developers about how they might design the combined retail-jail space.
    Some neighborhood groups are opposed to the plan to reopen and expand the jail.
    “Before it was mothballed, the House of Detention was not a good neighbor,” said Robert Perris, district manager of Community Board No. 2 in Brooklyn.
    “The bottom line for people in that corner of Boerum Hill is the impacts of both the Department of Correction and the visitors to the facility have caused in the past and might cause in the future,” he added.
    Sandy Balboza, president of the Atlantic Avenue Betterment Association, said the reopened jail could hurt the rebounding neighborhood’s momentum. “People have invested recently, they developed around the jail site,” he said. “They’ve invested, and the jail hurts their investment, especially the expansion of the jail.”
    A majority of the inmates expected to be sent to the Brooklyn jail would be from the borough, which is in keeping with a corrections trend in which inmates are kept closer to home, Mr. Morello said. Over all, he said, 33 percent of the city’s inmates come out of Brooklyn courts.
    “Rikers Island is not a great place to have jails, for a number of reasons,” Mr. Morello said, citing its proximity to La Guardia Airport and the limited access from the mainland to the East River complex.
    “It’s an impossible trip for family members, attorneys and aid groups who offer various services to the inmates,” Mr. Morello said. The Correction Department shuffles some 1,500 inmates a day from Rikers Island to court appearances throughout the city in an “inefficient manner that is not good for the justice system,” Mr. Morello said.
    He added that 80 percent of the inmates on Rikers Island have not been convicted of any crime and that 50 percent of the prisoners are released within 10 days. The average stay in the jail is 45 days, Mr. Morello said, adding that it does not make sense to have inmates spending so much time traveling from Rikers Island to courts in each borough.
    Mr. Perris said the plan to increase the inmate population at the House of Detention is not just about keeping prisoners closer to home.
    “That is a very humane goal, but there are people in the community who question whether it’s just rhetorical leverage,” Mr. Perris said. He said the community board’s Transportation and Public Safety Committee and its Land Use Committee both voiced opposition to the expansion at the board’s February meeting.
    “Court officers abused placard parking thought the area, and some visitors to the jail would urinate in people’s yards, hide weapons and contraband in flower pots,” Mr. Perris said. “So there is concern that if the jail reopens and doubles in size, these problems will reappear and be worse than they were before.”
    Some residents and community groups also spoke out against the plan at a public hearing held by the full board.
    Still, many of those who oppose the expansion say they will work with developers to include community goals, particularly in the plans for a retail development.
    Mr. Balboza expressed skepticism about that part of the plan. “The retail, how do we know retail can work there?” Mr. Balboza asked, citing the no-parking and no-standing areas along that stretch of Atlantic Avenue and the lack of a viable loading dock.
    “We have developers who have come to the neighborhoods around the jail and developed it, not because the jail was there but because people came in and saved these neighborhoods,” Mr. Balboza said.
    Mr. Morello said the next step in the Brooklyn jail expansion plan is the Unified Land Use review process. He said the Correction Department also must still buy the 22-acre parcel in the Oak Point section of the Bronx to build a jail where the city plans to house 2,040 inmates.

__________________________________________________ ___________

On a personal note, I live across the street from this place. I completely understand the need to reopen the prison. I was never here when it was in use, but I doubt it was as bad as the people above make it out to be. I am a little concerned about this line though: "The expansion would be built on empty land next to the House of Detention." The jail fills the whole block, so that could only be a parking lot across Boerum Pl. to the west and next to the new Y in the "Court House" rental. Would really kill what could have been a nice new city block.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Not too long ago, I remember they were actually talking about turning the jail into condos.

I know the courts are right there, but isn't the land prices in this part of Downtown Brooklyn too valuable to be used for housing inmates?

Isn't there another out-of-the-way site somewhere else they can build a prison? Red Hook? (joking)

Banned Member

The Family Court building on Adams Street is now empty and sits right next to new court building at 330 Jay Street. They could sell of the old detention center (in a much more residential area) and use the funds to construct a new prison that depends less on razor wire and more on modern prison technologies. The city really screwed that community on this one.

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xemu View Post
    On a personal note, I live across the street from this place. I completely understand the need to reopen the prison. I was never here when it was in use, but I doubt it was as bad as the people above make it out to be. I am a little concerned about this line though: "The expansion would be built on empty land next to the House of Detention." The jail fills the whole block, so that could only be a parking lot across Boerum Pl. to the west and next to the new Y in the "Court House" rental. Would really kill what could have been a nice new city block.
    There's the whole back yard to the prison on the State Street side that can be built on.