Page 50 of 124 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100 ... LastLast

Thread: Downtown Brooklyn Development

Banned Member

Duane Reade Confirmed; Supermarket, Restaurants Sought
    By Linda Collins
    Brooklyn Daily Eagle

DOWNTOWN BROOKLYN — “There is a ton of retail at this site,” said Amanda Scoblick, a director with Winick Realty. The site she is speaking of is the Myrtle Avenue development of John Catsimatidis and Red Apple Real Estate, where Winick is handling the leasing.

“It is one of the largest retail sites we’re handling and definitely one of Brooklyn’s largest right now,” added Scoblick, who is working as part of a team with CEO Jeff Winick and Frank Terzuli, another director.

As previously reported in the Eagle, the project, at 162-184 Myrtle Ave., between Flatbush Avenue Extension and Ashland Place, is a mixed-use development combining approximately 500 luxury residential units, more than 200,000 square feet of retail space plus underground parking.

It is being built in basically three buildings — low-rise, mid-rise and high-rise — over three city blocks and will have retail along the entire stretch, according to Scoblick, who confirmed that Duane Reade will be the anchor tenant for the lowest rise (east end) building, taking 10,000 square feet. “We just started the marketing of the project, there are no leases out yet,” she said.

The tri-level retail space includes: • 61,000 square feet at street level with up to 23 foot-high ceilings;
    • 79,000 square feet on the lower (below grade) level with 14-foot ceilings; and
    • 89,500 square feet on the second floor with 15-foot ceilings.

Noting that the residential units will be high-end, Scoblick said, “I’d say we are looking for moderately priced retailers — some regional chains and some local. But mostly we want to provide core retail services to the residents of the complex and of the neighborhood.”

In addition to the Duane Reade, this includes seeking a supermarket (the Winick team is “talking with one now”), one or more restaurants, possibly an electronics store and a health club that would be open to the public.

The 500 underground parking spaces will also be for the public to use as well as the residents. Dattner Architects, based in Manhattan is designing the complex and is using a combination stone and glass façade to integrate modern and traditional design.

“Brooklyn is booming with new development, and mainstream retailers are finally realizing the importance of the borough as key to their expansion strategy,” commented Winick, adding that the retailers coming to this development will not only benefit from the 500 residential units above, but from the 14,000-plus residential units being developed nearby.

Winick estimates that the project will be completed in mid-2009.
    Catsimatidis, whose firm owns the Gristedes market chain, could not be reached by press time Friday, but had told the Eagle in 2006 that he would include a Gristedes.

“We are in the supermarket business and we operate nice stores, so we want to put one there,” he said at the time.

Above all, Catsimatides told the Eagle, he was interested in improving that stretch of Myrtle. “The city wants to improve that area and we want to, too,” he said.

Prior to the start of construction, the commercial strip once had 11 retail tenants serving some large residential complexes like the Ingersoll and Walt Whitman Houses, and the Armory and University Towers.

© Brooklyn Daily Eagle 2007

One word: Deadening.

I didn't know plots of land that large even existed in NYC.

Banned Member

I agree, but one must consider what it is replacing. Myrtle Avenue was d-e-a-d. This actually represents an improvement (and not far off the precedent set by Ratner at Metrotech.)

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

this and the other development in this immediate vicinity of flatbush-x are all good.

but has this guy actually visited one of his stores recently?
    "We are in the supermarket business and we operate nice stores, so we want to put one there"

Default brooklyn flatiron;

excavation has commenced.

Default New Union Market confirmed near Forte & BAM

From the B'Klyn paper:

It’s official. Union Market will open a third outlet — in Fort Greene — by summer.

Marko Lalic, co-owner of the high-end Park Slope grocery, confirmed the long circulating rumor that he and his two partners are bringing their beloved gourmet supermarket to the corner of Fulton Street and Rockwell Place, in the old digs of a dollar store.

Times, and neighborhoods, change.

Where once residents shopped for 99-cent bargains, now they’ll shop for Gruyere and prosciutto di Parma. There will also be a good produce section, a much-desired commodity in the neighborhood.

This will be the second expansion in one year for the Park Slope market, on Union Street and Sixth Avenue. This summer, the proprietors revealed they were opening a shop in the South Slope, on Seventh Avenue, between 12th and 13th streets.

“Fort Greene is pretty similar to the South Slope, another underserved neighborhood,” said Lalic. “We feel the store would be a good fit.”
    Councilwoman Letitia James (D–Fort Greene), agreed.

“Obviously, we need some alternatives some of the existing markets in the district,” said James. “A number of constituents were going to Park Slope. So I’m glad that Union Market is coming to the corner of Fort Greene. And the owners have indicated to me they be hiring some local residents.”
    James’s excitement was echoed by Fort Greene resident Phillip Kellogg.
    “There’s definitely a need for terrific meat and fish and produce and bread and cheese and all that,” he said.

“People have been screaming about it for as long as I’ve been here, so I think it’s terrific,” he added.

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories...ionmarket.html

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

They just don't quit with these same tired, old, unattractive apartment brick slabs with no style whatsoever, in this city.

I'd bet you O'Hara's behind this one.

From brownstoner.com:

Development Watch: 236 Livingston Street

Another biggie for the Livingston/Schermerhorn corridor. Developer Shlomo Karpen (who made the dailies when he was sued by, and subsequently had to settle with, purchasers of his development known as the Williamsburg Mews) has broken ground on a 271-unit residential rental project with two towers, a 26-story one on Livingston and a 10-story one on Schermerhorn. When the project was presented to the Community Board 2 Land Use Committee in December (where we snapped these blurry photos), members were shocked that a mere eight units (one unit per floor on floors 3 through 10 of the Livingston tower) of affordable housing were included in the plan, which comes out to about 3% instead of the standard 20%. Apparently, inclusion of those eight lower-floor units enables the developer to add an extra five floors to the tower. Good deal for him.

better than:
    a) nothing, or
    b) a 6 storey fedder shitbox

i can live with this.

oh, and you sure do know your ohara

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...bhous=&allstrt=

^ If you've seen enough of his sh_t, then you'll know it too when you see (or shall I say smell?) it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynLove View Post
    better than:
    a) nothing, or
    b) a 6 storey fedder shitbox
    i can live with this.
    I'm sorry but this POJ (piece-of-junk) is worse than having nothing or a 6-story Fedder. Why?

Because those two other scenarios would mean that the plot can always be redeveloped in the future, when the architectural climate changes. With this, it'll just stay there permanently as an eyesore.

Case in point, here's West 42 St. in Manhattan. Look at all the hideous brick towers there now.

Wouldn't you rather have the land they're sitting on empty and have them redeveloped into something much more attractive now and in the future? Unfortunately those ugly towers will not go anywhere, ever.

You have to think long term.

By the way, the one on the far left with the orange and yellow bricks is O'Hara's.

Poor Brooklyn, enough demand to trigger an enormous building boom downtown only to get crap. High-rise crap to go along with the low-rise fedders everywhere else.

i guess that i'm just a bit more willing to settle. let me try to explain where i coming from.

it's taken so many years for large scale transformative development to finally come to downtown brooklyn, and just as things are starting to pick up steam, financing is tightening. while i agree that there could be something much nicer here, this building is not a total disaster, and it's a whole lot better for continued upward progress of the area than a vacant lot sitting for 5 years. i'm trying to take a wide lense view - there are many fine buildings coming as well, one just a block over on livingston for example.

let me ask you this - how much do you think people are paying to live in those ugly buildings on west 42nd? and those buildings bring in new retail to serve the new residents - retail (at least in part) aimed at people who can afford to live in those buildings. money breeds money. then the next developer down the street a few years later can better justify the (usually) higher expense of a less ick design.

we need to keep the wheel spinning.

The Dude Abides

^Here, here! Well said, BL.

pianoman, I'm surprised at you but BrooklynLove, I'm not. Don't sell Brooklyn short.

This isn't the 1970's where people are abandoning the city, I doubt a site in Downtown with one of the higher FAR's in all of Brooklyn with very little in terms of zoning restrictions are going to lay fallow for too long.

If this pathetic developer can't build something nice, I sure another will come along that can. Ugly is permanent, a vacant lot is not.