Thread: Chicago Skyline

Default Chicago Skyline

What does everyone think of how the chicago skyline in the movie i, robot

I liked it. I think the movie should've been set in NY though.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkYankee
    I liked it. I think the movie should've been set in NY though.
    Thank god it wasn't though.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by BVictor1
    Thank god it wasn't though.
    Yeah, thankfully we were just a convenient sidenote in the robot rebellion while Chi-town got the full brunt of it. If our robots started acting up, we would have been all over that schitt in five seconds

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    Yeah, thankfully we were just a convenient sidenote in the robot rebellion while Chi-town got the full brunt of it. If our robots started acting up, we would have been all over that schitt in five seconds
    Of course, the NYPD would have tried to put 40 bullets in the thing, and then found out it was the good robot...

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by BVictor1
    Of course, the NYPD would have tried to put 40 bullets in the thing, and then found out it was the good robot...
    Touché

Default Chicago

Chicago is prefect place for a movie like that so is New York.

NYPD probably would have made it better.

I always thought I, Robot was shot in San Francisco, with the bridge n' all. I guess I'm just stupid then. "Achoooo, sorry, I'm allergic to bulls**t"

Default Past as Future maybe so with the current Pipeline

CGI cities are always interesting to look at regardless of whether they are New York, Chicago, LA, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Calcutta, Sao Paulo, etc. All of which have been manipulated for movies to futurise them, make them look more like the past etc. In the iRobot case, I had become so familiar with Chicago from living there for some time that I noticed these elements in the skyline with each glance:

• Seems to be more balanced off the centre than peaked at the sides as one would guess. But with Chicago Spire now on the pipeline, and whatever that will generate in peripheral growth, that city may actually go in a similar direction.

• Next time I noticed that some buildings look like they had been moved from North to South to further increase density - the Hancock shape in particular looks duplicated and resized to do this. May or may not have been the specific case, but that is how it looked when I saw the skyline a few more times in the film.

• Then I noticed that smokey-like glow surrounding the skyline that can be seen on occassion, but that reminded me more of LA for obvious reasons.

No one is trying to get the future top-dead accurate, but some of this may happen to the skyline, and it makes for an interesting futuristic look that is a bit less generic. Then we get that matching problem with streetlife. Looks alternately like a Canadian city's future (maybe a Vancouver) or a Bladerunner rip-off rather than Chicago, and you back off from the skyline into Hollywood liberties and financing.

Very cool Traveltalks on Chicago (1945)