Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Central Park Romance??

Default Central Park Romance??

Myself and my girlfriend are coming to the city for her birthday and I was wandering is it still a romantic idea to go for a horse and carriage ride through Central Park?? If so when is the best time,how much and how do I go about doing it(do I need to book)??

Of course it is, why wouldnt it be?

I'm sure it will be nice but I'm just thinking when would be the best time and how much!!!????!!!!

You don't need to make a reservation. The carriages all wait on Central Park South, near the Plaza. I'm not sure how much they cost.

I believe the carriages will generally charge about $25-30 for a half-hour ride. As for the best time, early evening is when the park is probably the prettiest.

Forum Veteran

Just follow the smell of horse manure on Central Park South.

Geez.

You just reminded me of a Seinfeld episode.
    A wedding anniversary carriage ride.
    A horse named Rusty.
    A giant can of Beeferoni that Kramer feeds to Rusty.
    Intestinal distress.
    Romance over.

First read this article:

Carriage Horses: Cruelty is the Name of the Trade

"Hansom Horse's Tale of Whoa" - New York City, November 2, 2000 "A horse broke free from its carriage yesterday at Columbus Circle and hit at least one car as it galloped to Broadway - stopping morning traffic as people watched in horror...The horse went down about half-a-block before the harness broke, snaring one of his legs...The horse fell and slid down the street..."

"Bolting Carriage Horse Hurts 2" - New York City, August 6, 1999

"Carriage Horse Is Electrocuted on Street" -- New York City, January 1999 A horse pulling a carriage stepped on an electrically charged manhole cover and was shocked to death.

"Carriage Ride Turns into Bronco Bust" -- New York City, January 1998

"Runaway Horse Bashes Tourist...Carriage Horse Bolts and Injures Pedestrian" -- New York City, November 1997

"Hit and Run Accident Sends a Carriage Horse On Wild Rampage" -- Boston, 1996

"Two horses have been struck and killed by city buses, another by a car, and on one occasion a spooked horse jumped through a plate glass window" -- Atlanta (during the Olympics) July, 1996

"Carriage Horse's Tale of Whoa...Leg Stuck in Hay Shute For 2 Hours" -- New York City, 1996

"Hansom Horse Dies in Street" -- New York City, August 1996

"Carriage Horse Goes Out of Control, Collapses and Dies" -- New York City, September 1997

"Vigil Held for Horse Carriage Casualties" -- New York City, August 1994 (Two carriage horses collapsed and died on New York City streets within a 16-day period.)

The headlines speak for themselves. Every year, hundreds of carriage horses in the United States and around the world are used, abused and then slaughtered, if they are not killed on the streets first.

According to Peggy Parker of the Carriage Horse Action Committee, the average working life of a carriage horse in New York City is less than four years, as compared to the mounted police horses who serve an average of 15 years before being retired.
    While we can't be absolutely sure where all police horses go when they are through working, we do know that the majority of carriage horses go to slaughter.

Equine Advocates is committed to exposing the truth about the abuse, inhumane treatment and slaughter of urban carriage horses. Many cities, including London, Paris and Toronto, have banned carriage horses for humane reasons. Even Beijing has stopped it because of congestion problems. Crowded cities, especially New York, Philadelphia, and others, should prohibit it for both of those reasons. We hope through education, public awareness and legislation, the carriage horse trade will become a thing of the past

Greta Bunting is the author of a wonderful and informative book entitled, "The Horse: The Most Abused Domestic Animal". (order information)

Here are some excerpts from that book relating to the subject of carriage horses:

"An operator of a horse and carriage business likes to describe it as 'romantic.'

It is anything but that in today's crowded cities. Before the day of the automobile, privately owned carriage horses were for the owner's pleasure and use, and not as a means of making money. For this reason, the horses could expect better treatment than when used for commercial purposes.

Today they must work long hours in all weather, battle traffic, breathe exhaust fumes from motorized vehicles, and in general are not even adequately watered (not so many pools of urine!"), and some receive inadequate or poor feed and insufficient veterinary care.

Yet sometimes a horse is forced to pull a 9-passenger carriage, plus the driver and possibly someone on the seat beside him. In addition, as Holly Cheever, D.V.M. points out, 'Lameness and hoof deterioration are inevitable when a horse spends its life walking or jogging on the unnaturally concussive asphalt of city streets.'

Some horses are worked with split hooves and some have internal parasites. Deaths of horses in New York City have been a disgrace. One year, three horses died the same day, followed by a fourth shortly afterwards. Lame ones and blinds ones have been found working there. Carriage horse operators usually manage to persuade the city fathers that they are a 'tourist attraction'.

On the contrary, some tourists avoid cities that allow this business, and I have never heard of anyone going to a city just because it had horses and carriages! Out of ignorance of the abuse, tourists may ride in a carriage when there, but that is not their purpose in going...

Drivers love to get between the shafts and 'prove' that the carriages are not heavy. It would be interesting to see the condition of these clowns after pulling a carriage loaded with passengers all day long, in the broiling sun, without shade, proper rest or sufficient water.

Furthermore, an honest carriage driver will tell you that the problem is not so much the weight of the carriage, as the effort the horse has to make when it starts up again after a stop.

Considering the number of starts and stops it makes on a busy street, this effort is constant. So are the exhaust fumes, so is the pounding on the pavement. And so, many times, is the heat or the cold

...and in the end there are no green pastures for carriage horses -- only the slaughterhouse.

Yet the world does nothing to stop the abuse. Commercial horse and carriage operations should be banned. Period."

© Greta Bunting 1997 All rights reserved.

For more information on how to obtain a copy of her book.

The death of 7 horses in 10 years in comparison with hundreds of bulls sacrificed every day in summer in Spain, France and south america or thousands of calves slaughtered every day for eat a good steak is totally insignificant and incomparable.

I´ll continue seeing a romantic ride and no a cruel ride.

Enjoy the ride with your girlfriend, red screw!

SORRY I ASKED SANNAJAGELLONICA !!!!!!!!!!
    Cheers Magnum,hopefully it'll be a good one all round.What other romantic things are there to do??I was thinking of doing the Empire State Building at night too.

Default Suicide magnet?

[LatelineNews: 2004-11-27] NEW YORK - A man jumped to his death Friday from the 86th-floor observation deck at the Empire State Building, one of Manhattan's busiest tourist destinations, police said. The apparent suicide forced police to briefly close the landmark on Fifth Avenue to tourists in New York for the holiday weekend.

The man apparently climbed over a security fence that encloses the observation deck before leaping off. He hit a landing on the sixth floor, where he died instantly, police said.

No identification was found on his body.

At least 31 other people have committed suicide at the Empire State Building since it opened in 1931. More than 3.8 million people visit the tourist attraction each year, according to the building's Web site.

It is 1,454 feet to the top of the Empire State Building's lightning rod.
    Last edited by Jasonik; March 22nd, 2005 at 02:31 PM. Reason: I couldn't resist.

RedScrew, the row boats in Central Park are quite romantic, as well.

alright!
    First of all, what´s wrong with you guys? Can´t I say openly what I think. I think it´s the cultural differences. Here no one would have freaked out for that article put in the thread like this... and we don´t even mean to be rude

I feel sorry for every used animal in the world and I would never pay for it.

what about skating in the wollmann rink.
    Wollman hosts skaters day and night. But nighttime is a New York City moment. Music plays across the ice as skaters find their own rhythm circling the rink. A moon is a plus, but not required since the ice itself gives off a silver sheen.

Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Billy.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	753  

magnum, is it really about the deaths??

sannajagellonica, first of all please excuse for being maybe so rude. Sorry.

I only mean to say that a life of a horse in New York City isn't so cruel.

Actually i don´t like even go to the zoo and see the sad faces of the animals in cages!

Skating in the wollmann rink or row boats could be the best options.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast