Page 26 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: The New York City Subway

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkDoc View Post
    Anyone here guilty of holding doors? Not really holding for people getting on, but holding to let yourself in after they're closing.

I'll admit, I do it if I can. Although, I don't do it as much as other because I'm scared of my fingers getting caught.
    Curse you and your door-holding ways!!! The only time I have ever done it was by accident when my bag got caught. I'll always make a run for a train if it is there but if the doors start closing... I wait! I don't usually mind personal door holding if it is 3 a.m. and that one person would have to wait another 25 minutes. What REALLY grinds my gears is people holding doors during the morning and evening rush. I hate to say this but in all honesty, the most door holding I see is done during the rush-hours by middle-aged men in suits who come over from Jersey and CT from their mansions and don't understand the subway system and that the trains run every 3 minutes during the rush. I live in Hell's Kitchen and the 42nd street Port Authority station on the ACE is the closest to my apartment. I can't count the number of idiots who hold doors and sprint down the mezzanine as if that E train will be the last train they ever see.

Default A New York Slice of America

A New York Slice of America, July 3: 128 Riders United

A woman, squeezed in between her fellow passengers on the Q train, put on her earrings. More Photos >

Published: July 4, 2008

THE R68A subway car is shiny and modern-looking, with seats in two shades of orange — few of which can be glimpsed when the car is crowded. And the second-to-last R68A of the Q train that pulled out of DeKalb Avenue at 8:27 a.m. on Thursday felt near capacity.

There would be no four-day holiday weekends, it seemed, for the 128 passengers in this car.

As the train went over the Manhattan Bridge, few riders looked up from their books or newspapers or iPods or private thoughts or even their dreams to see, to the south, through the bridge’s riveted girders, the Statue of Liberty in the haze of a hot summer morning.

Is it nearly impossible to take a single authoritative snapshot of New York City’s population, to freeze it in place, to discover and list all the different people who live here. Or were born here. Or who came here in search of success, or family, or to escape misery. Each block is different, from Park Avenue to Parkside Avenue, from the East Village to Eastchester — each is its own little city, with its own evolving ethnic mixture, its own traditions.

But if there is no perfect way to take that snapshot, then there are certainly worse ways than to catalogue the people in that car of the 8:27 a.m. Q train in the middle of the Manhattan Bridge, to learn who they are, and how they happened to be there. And there are certainly worse days to publish it in the newspaper than the Fourth of July.

And so six reporters and four photographers from The New York Times set out early on Thursday to capture the intricate human mosaic sharing one journey in one R68A, high above Brooklyn and Manhattan, with the skyscrapers and a little green statue out the windows.

In all, 99 people were interviewed — not everyone in the car, but a large cross section of this captive population. In this proudly unscientific approach, riders were asked what they did for a living, where they were born, how long they had lived in New York. Some were interviewed in more depth. Twenty-nine were not interviewed, for various reasons, including four who were asleep. They were not disturbed.

To look at all the homelands, all the ages, all the professions collected in that car is to see — as much as is possible — New York City in the summer of 2008, everyone traveling together across the Manhattan Bridge.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/04/ny...l?ref=nyregion
    Copyright 2008 New York Times Company
    Last edited by The Benniest; July 4th, 2008 at 02:46 PM.

Default A New York Slice of America

On the Q train between its last stop in Brooklyn, DeKalb Avenue, and the first one in Manhattan, Canal Street. This panorama consists of many individual photographs taken over a short period and stitched into a single image.

---
    Riding the Q Train

The Q train arriving at DeKalb Avenue in Brooklyn around 8:25 a.m. on Thursday morning. Riders reflected
    much of the tapestry of New York City between two stops on a crowded subway car.

On the train.

The train pulled away from the DeKalb station en route to Manhattan.

A woman, squeezed in between her fellow passengers, put on her earrings.

Some passengers slept.

Some did the crossword puzzle.

A few passengers managed to wrangle a seat.

Many others stood and held on.

A tiny passenger commuting via stroller.

The train pulled onto the Manhattan Bridge.

Outside, a hot summer morning and the harbor.

A rider gazed out the window.

The train arrived at Canal Street.

Passengers filed out and headed for the exit to the street level.

The Q train departed the Canal Street station and headed north.

Copyright 2008 New York Times Company

I love that the MTA always tries to blame riders for the delays when it's so obviously their own fault that the trains are slower than ever. I would beg to differ about people holding the doors- the most delays I've seen come when the trains are so overcrowded that the doors won't close, not because people are holding them.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I think it's so wildly rude to take pictures of unknowing/unwilling people on the subway and publish them for all to see. Photographers should respect that people are going about their private, daily lives- not putting on a show.

^ in terms of photography..

Does that mean you object to photographs of people/crowds above ground, as well?

i think its neat they did that little survey

Fahzee, if the people are identifiable, I do. It's an incredible invasion of privacy to splash someone's photo across the internet.

Walker Evans fails the test. Not content with violating the privacy of subway riders, during the Depression he also violated the privacy of the rural poor by revealing for all to see the squalor of their circumstances. There are photographers currently attempting to violate the privacy of refugees in Darfur, but the Sudanese authorities have the situation in hand.

Q Train! That's my train! I love it so much, it always runs without disruptions and takes me promptly home.

Look at all the birth countries. It's just like that where I live in Ditmas Park.
    Last edited by NewYorkDoc; July 4th, 2008 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    Fahzee, if the people are identifiable, I do. It's an incredible invasion of privacy to splash someone's photo across the internet.
    ^^ I agree with Schade. Especially in pictures like this...

...it's embarrassing to some people and like Schade said, an invasion of privacy.

I see no harm done here.

They arent getting into trouble for sleeping.

If they posted a picture of a man picking his nose then I'd say they shouldn't, but these are fine.

Is the PATH train as packed as this?

Usually it doesn't, but always prepare for large crowds on rush and peak hours.

That train doesn't even look very packed to me.

In your opinion, which is the busiest and "most packed" subway train during rush hours. Call me crazy, but I want to experience to a true rush hour train. While there in March, the tour guides (New Yorkers I might add) wanted to always leave the hotel before/after rush hours so us "noobs" wouldn't get scared by all of the people.

It drove me insane by the third day.