Page 38 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: The New York City Subway

Not sure that a NYC subway station was ever scarier than how it appeared HERE (keep watching for an awesome sequence shot in the plaza outside the original Twin Towers).

Just to connect all those dots and bring things full circle ...

Quote Originally Posted by NoyokA View Post
    That's my stop. And I've encountered rats occasionally there. They hide-out under that large red tool box at the end of the platform, I wish they would get rid of that thing.
    Okay so you know what I'm talking about. Btw, on my first encounter I was carrying takeout from Curry-In-A-Hurry on Lexington, I was concerned about what might happen if Mr. Rat caught a whiff of my vindaloo as I walked past him. I didn't want to wind up on the 10 o'clock news.

You know I related this experience on the straphangers.com forum. A couple of Transit employees responded. They were pretty cool, I must say. They blame the rats on the 28th St. platforms on the McDonald's on the corner right by the uptown entrance. They said those station garbage cans at mid-platform are probably loaded with the remains of someone's Big Mac and the rodents find it irresistable.

You're right, too. The big guy I spotted -- a few times -- came skulking up the platform from the toolbox, heading towards those black cylindrical garbage cans at mid-platform. One has what looks like a rat-sized hole gnawed in it. (Can they get rid of that thing too?) That's where we faced off, midway between the toolbox and the cans.

The Transit guys all assured me the rat would have run off if I kept moving -- that the rats are punks, all show (haha) -- and you know, they were right.

Next time I kept walking down the platform, cursing the rat as I got closer and, sure enough, the rat finally retreated and ran under the tool box as the train arrived. As the doors opened and I started to step into the last car he reemerged. I thought, 'Damn, can he at least wait until I'm all the way in the car?'

Then when I took a seat I had the thought, 'He wouldn't come in the car, would he?'

(He didn't.)
    Last edited by tommyguy; January 18th, 2009 at 10:19 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by tommyguy View Post

... rats are punks, all show (haha) -- and you know, they were right ...
    Don't be too sure of yourelf. You never know what you might run into ...

Default My opinion...

That is absolutely gross scumonkey...

When I saw the comparison between the New York City subway system and the Beijing system, I immediately favored NYC. I don't think I could stand all of that crap all over the walls in a simple subway tunnel... I can't even find words to describe how much I don't like the subway in China..

I've had my encounter with a few rats, specifically in the downtown stations of Manhattan.... and some in Brooklyn. I don't normally see rats on a daily basis here in Iowa (LOL), but every day while there I saw at least 2. I didn't mind, just as long as they didn't try to attack me and my food!!!

About the NYC stations not being nice, and this might just be a tourist's point-of-view, but I think that most of them are just fantastic! I was amazed by one of the Natural History Museum's many subway tunnels and noticed that almost every station's street is done in all mosaics in the tunnels. SURE... it's not the cleanest "artwork", but to an ex-art student, I think it's fantastic!! Here is another tunnel near the NHM that amazed me as well. The work that must've gone into these mosaics!

Anywhoo, when I'm in New York City, I prefer the subway over anything, at least when I know what train is going where... Haha!! Walking is alright, sometimes and taxi drivers just scare the hell out of me. Lol...

I was in Beijing just before Christmas and there are a few problems:
    - Its slow
    - The lines aren't well thought out (even taking into consideration the expansion of the system), only one line actually serves the main intercity station of Beijing
    - The system closes early (pretty much like most of the city)
    - It gets far too congested
    - Nobody has manners (ie people boarding the train before people have a chance to get off) meaning it takes twice as long for trains to depart
    - The network is disjointed in numerous places where lines terminate in the middle of nowhere, eg the Airport Express Line, Batong Line, (and they have plans for other similar lines!)...
    - The city centre is poorly served (talk about a pain to get the Olympic Village)
    - The fare payment system is bizarre
    - Interchanging is piss poor
    - Above ground its hard to see where the stations are as while the entrances all look the same, some are obscurely buried into buildings with little indication that they are entrances
    - The architecture is pretty much the same and lacks an identity that hasn't been seen elsewhere

The stations are clean, but that is because they are so new, however in some parts it looked like signs of wear and tear were happening.

i dk -- i've been out late around seward park in the past and have seen bigger waves of rats than on that chinese news video. i am talking burned in the brain memorable horrifying ocean-sized waves of'em. hey, now that sobers ya right up!

even big packs real latenight in union square too on occasion.

i dk if it's still like that anymore? my partying days are long over.

the Jay st station was getting its makeover today... about 100 guys scrambling to refinish the F side of the track. i never seen people work so fast haha

February 2, 2009, 3:22 pm

Strangers on a No. 2 Train, in a Debate
    By Mireya Navarro

On the way to Brooklyn from Manhattan around 7:30 p.m. on Super Bowl Sunday, a disheveled man walked into a No. 2 subway train making a stop at Canal Street. No one paid much attention as the man lay down on a row of seats to take a nap. The complete strangers around him did not realize he would soon force them to come together to make a practical decision.

The man, his eyes still closed, sat up a couple of stops later, opened his fly and urinated. From a seated position, he thoroughly soaked his vicinity, and the half-full car emptied out in the middle as his fellow passengers — including this reporter — fled in both directions.

In a next-door car where some of the escaping riders had reassembled, some shook their heads, visibly jarred, and one commented that this was a first. Then a debate ensued about the right course of action to take.

I said I would be getting off the train soon and would report the man’s actions to the proper authorities. They should remove him, I argued, before other unsuspecting riders walked into the car and had to deal with him and the mess.

The consensus seemed to be that this was a bad idea.

“All they’ll do is take the train out of service, and we’ll all be stuck,” a woman said.

“Yeah, it’s not worth it,” a man said. Others nodded.

I wavered. I worried about other riders, and about the man, so out of it that he had no clue where he was or what he had done. Someone should take care of him and the mess. What would any normal person do?

When the train stopped again, new riders quickly turned back from the man’s car as they saw the wet floor and put two and two together. They and a few more passengers from the soiled car scrambled to get onto the next-door car, where they joined the first group of refugees.

“What is he doing now?” someone asked.

“He went back to sleep,” a young man reported, as he turned his iPod back on.

I bowed to the majority and promised them to keep my mouth shut, as I got off the train.

The napper rode alone deep into Brooklyn.

^ That's a great New York story. I love seeing weirdos on the train, as long as they dont get violent of course.

Article was an anti climax. i do love the crazies though. Not to be confused with crackheads.

^
    Maybe you'll like this one.

1976 I think, and a couple of my friends met me in Lower Manhattan after work. We got off early, and after a few drinks and an early dinner, we headed for Yankee Stadium on the Lex.

The subway car began filling up with rush-hour commuters, and there was already a crazy guy occupying the two seats across from the conductor's cabin. He was alternately talking to himself and the crowd, which began to form a clearing in a forest of humanity around him. The three of us took a position against the opposite door.

He stood up and began to remove his clothes, and the clearing widened. Needless to say, no one else entered the car after crossing the doorway, and some left, figuring it was better to just be late.

Bums always get seats and space on the subway.

He continued to remove his clothes, all the while making observations about the state of the world and those around him. I think he got down to his shorts, one shoe and one sock.

One of my friends is a very quiet, polite, almost shy guy. His name is Weinhouse, but we've always called him House, because he's as big as one. As we were pulling into Grand Central, he suddenly clenched his jaw, and said loudly to no one in particular, "Well, that's about enough of this fu**ing shit." He grabbed the guy, and literally flung him out the door across the platform.

As the guy stood up, House held the door open with his foot, gathered up the clothes, and tossed them out to him saying, "God dammit, get dressed." The bum only managed to catch his shoe, the rest of his clothing in a heap around him. And there he stood, dazed in his underwear, with shoe in hand.

What is still clear in my mind are the expressions on the faces of the people on the platform. There were probably a lot of guess what happened on the stupid subway remarks at dinner that night.

So as the subway car clearing repopulates, House becomes a hero, which is at odds with his reserved personality. Not letting him off the hook, I say loudly,

"I wish I had the balls to do something like that."

Much better

Yeah that was pretty good.