Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Assemblages, Building Prospects, Back Burner and Visions

An HP Printer comes to mind but a beached whale...

hmm....

Forum Veteran

http://www.livablenewyork.org/newsle...Mar-Apr_05.pdf

Amsterdam/W67-W69 St. - potential for 60-70 storey building.

West End/W69-W70 St. - negotiations for a 70 storey tower failed.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Gulcrapek

Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by billyblancoNYC
    Very nice.
    I concur, old chap.

Default HSBC Tower

They're most likely speculating to spawn community outrage. They and other community boards and groups do this all the time.

Project#15

New HSBC Building
    10-14 West 40th Street
    Commercial Office
    232,750 sf office; 4,048 sf retail
    Proposed 2007

Found this in the West Side rezoning environmental impact statement. This is the vacant lot next to the HSBC building methinks.
    Last edited by Derek2k3; May 27th, 2005 at 08:37 PM.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Gulcrapek

To hell with NIMBY's. A 70 storey building is something, a 60 storey building is really nothing much.

Quote Originally Posted by Stern
    Project #1
    10th Avenue at 37th and 38th streets
    Dev-Rockrose Development
    Residential
    ~1,400 units
    Proposed Fall 2005-?
    NY POST
    WEST SIDE GLORY
    By JENNIFER GOULD KEIL

Rockrose, whose modus operandi is to get into areas early and build rental buildings, just launched plans to begin construction on two residential sites in the area.

NY TIMES
    No Stadium, No Problem: West Side Is Getting Hot
    By CHARLES V. BAGLI
    June 12, 2005

The Rockrose Development Corporation, which has become the largest property owner in the district in recent years, is putting together three large development sites, including both sides of 10th Avenue between 37th and 38th Streets, for as many as 1,400 apartments. The company told community board officials it hoped to begin construction this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3
    Project#13

Witkoff Group Hotel
    Eleventh Avenue
    Commercial Hotel
    1000-1500 units
    Dev-Witkoff Group
    Proposed
    NY TIMES
    By CHARLES V. BAGLI
    June 12, 2005

Steven C. Witkoff of the Witkoff Group is in the process of buying a large parcel across 11th Avenue from the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center, between 36 and 37th Streets, where he wants to build a 1,500-room hotel on a platform over the Amtrak railroad tracks.

Project #16

Verizon Site
    11th Avenue, between 34th and 35th Streets
    Proposed

NY TIMES
    By CHARLES V. BAGLI
    June 12, 2005

According to real estate executives, developers Douglas Durst and Gary Barnett are among the bidders for a site now owned by Verizon, on 11th Avenue, between 34th and 35th Streets, where zoning allows for a large commercial building with apartments in the tower.

Project #17

504-515 W. 34th St
    Proposed

(that address doesn't make sense)

NY Post
    LOIS WEISS

The owners of 504-515 W. 34th St. want to sell the three adjoining mid-block parcels as a development site, and sources said they could walk away with close to $30 million.

Robert Sass of GVA Williams has been tapped to market the 10,000-foot site. He says it can support as much as 30,000 feet, with 60,000 feet of condos, under current zoning.

That figure climbs to 1 million square fee when transferable development rights and some nearby parcels are included in the package.

Default 86th and Third?

There is a site on the Upper East Side that's just dying for redevelopment. It's on the southeast corner of Third Avenue and 86th Street. There are several buildings that are either semi or completely abandoned residential over active but small scale retail, or straight taxpayers. This goes from the end the first building on 85th and Third to almost midblock on 86th.

I had heard years ago, back in the early 90's recession, that the banks got many of these back on forclosures. I've heard zero since.

As you may know, this is, for Manhanttan, the land of the big boxes. It has great access to the 4, 5, & 6 trains (actually there's a constant stream of foot traffic to and from the station, past the site 24/7). I just can't believe this has sat fallow for a decade or more.

I could easily see a street wall building with three floors (selling basement + 2) of retail, and another floor or three of non-retail commercial. The rest of the available developable space could be piled on top in the form of a rental or condo tower.

While it could be developed without it, a key part of the assemblage would be the movie theater on 86th. Whoever owns it just tacked on a couple of floors of commercial, so it would probably be an expensive pick up. But it goes block though to 85th. Having it would enable putting the residential entrance and some of the service points on 85th, and having 200'+ of unbroken retail frontage on 86th.

I'm amazed this site has been off the radar, or maybe I'm just out of touch. Anyone know anything?

Forum Veteran

Lloyd Goldman and his group just purchased the Bennigans resturant site on Eighth and 47th, id expect something to happen there at one point, just not sure when

Where did you hear that? You have good scoops!

Default West 45th Street Tower

The Times reports a new residential and hotel tower designed by Enrique Norten of TEN Arquitectos.

West 45th Street Tower
    West 45th Street
    Mixed-Use (Residential + Hotel)
    TEN Arquitectos
    Proposed

New York Times
    A Mexican Architect at Home in New York
    By ROBIN POGREBIN
    Published: June 30, 2005

...Mr. Norten is also designing a new village along the Gowanus Canal, including a waterfront esplanade and sidewalk cafe; two galleries in Chelsea, one on West 24th Street for contemporary art and another on West 26th Street for modern furniture; and a hotel and residence on West 45th Street.

Full article here:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/30/ar...l?pagewanted=1

It's #8 on Ten Arquitetos' site. No details yet though.
    http://www.ten-arquitectos.com/map_of_newyork.html

Great! Enrique is quickly becoming one of my favorite architects.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3
    The Times reports a new residential and hotel tower designed by Enrique Norten of TEN Arquitectos.

West 45th Street Tower
    West 45th Street
    Mixed-Use (Residential + Hotel)
    TEN Arquitectos
    Proposed

New York Times
    A Mexican Architect at Home in New York
    By ROBIN POGREBIN
    Published: June 30, 2005

...Mr. Norten is also designing a new village along the Gowanus Canal, including a waterfront esplanade and sidewalk cafe; two galleries in Chelsea, one on West 24th Street for contemporary art and another on West 26th Street for modern furniture; and a hotel and residence on West 45th Street.

Full article here:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/30/ar...l?pagewanted=1

It's #8 on Ten Arquitetos' site. No details yet though.
    http://www.ten-arquitectos.com/map_of_newyork.html
    I saw that too. Do you have any idea where it is? I saw a few months ago something under construction on a small plot in the 40's between 5th and 6th. I wonder if that is Norten's project.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer
    I saw that too. Do you have any idea where it is? I saw a few months ago something under construction on a small plot in the 40's between 5th and 6th. I wonder if that is Norten's project.
    Not sure where either. According to the map on his site, it would be somewhere in Clinton but the map isn't very accurate.

There's a small 21 story hotel going up at 15 West 45th Street so maybe that's the site you're referring to.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast