Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 Mercer - Located at Broadway in SOHO - Condo - by Jean Nouvel

This building is now up to the ninth floor (the fourth floor of the tower section). Four more floors to go and it will be topped out.

The have also started pouring the wall that will be at the north side of the site (against the existing buildings). There is a form being used (it appears to be approximately 10' x 10') which, when removed, leaves in the wall excised indentations a pattern of parallel and perpendicular lines. Rebar extends up and out of this first section that has been poured and revealed (at the Broadway side of the site) so it seems that the wall will continue up to a greater height.

The final floors are now being poured.

From a few blocks below Canal Street looking up Broadway the top floors can be seen rising above SoHo.

Can't wait for the glass facade to start going up...

Default Tower Apartments

Quote Originally Posted by monknyc
    Info on the apartments in the base, from floors 2 to 5. Unit G does not exist on the second floor to accomodate a double-height lobby lounge. They are ordered counterclockwise from the northwestern corner.

A: 2-bedroom, 1649 SF, northwest corner
    B: 3-bedroom, 2476 SF, southwest corner
    C: 1-bedroom, 1222 SF, south
    D: 2-bedroom, 1843 SF, south
    E: 3-bedroom, 2370 SF, southeast corner
    F: 2-bedroom, 1415 SF, northeast corner
    G: 2-bedroom, 1407 SF, north
    The tower floors are basically divided into a western wing (A-line on Mercer Street side) and an eastern wing (B-line on Broadway side), with one passenger elevator with direct apartment access serving each side. The northern spine of the building acts as an exterior corridor linking the two elevators and stairs.

6TH FLOOR
    A (duplex, combined with 7A): 4-bedroom, 4116 SF, 1249 SF private terrace with Jacuzzi
    B: 2-bedroom, 2943 SF, 1582 SF private terrace with Jacuzzi
    Private Terrace 1: 629 SF, southwest corner
    Private Terrace 2: 411 SF, south
    Private Terrace 3: 360 SF, south
    Private Terrace 4: 558 SF, southeast corner
    Public Terrace

7TH FLOOR
    A (duplex, combined with 6A)
    B: 2-bedroom, 2206 SF

8TH - 11TH FLOOR
    A: 3-bedroom, 2706 SF
    B: 2-bedroom, 2206 SF

12TH FLOOR
    A: 3-bedroom, 2706 SF
    PH-1 (duplex, combined with 13B): 4-bedroom, 3515 SF

13TH FLOOR
    PH-2: 2-bedroom, 2131 SF, 485 SF private terrace
    PH-1 (duplex, combined with 12B)

The pool, exercise room and lounge are in the cellar.

Default You Say Color I Say Colour

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    The final floors are now being poured.

From a few blocks below Canal Street looking up Broadway the top floors can be seen rising above SoHo.

Can't wait for the glass facade to start going up...
    The building looks to be topped out, with the gray glass of the northern facade now being installed.

Seems that the blue glass will exist on Broadway, and on Grand Street up until a break in the facade for a secondary entrance on Grand Street about 50 ft. east of the western lot boundary. The red glass will exist on Mercer Street and on the remainder of the Grand Street facade.

Quote Originally Posted by monknyc
    The renderings show the glass facade of 40 Mercer extending on the ground floor to 44 Mercer, which seems to be a mistake. Plans show that the Mercer Street half of the space between the two buildings will be a driveway for the underground parking for 40 Mercer, while the Broadway half will be a private garden for the same building.
    I was wrong about the renderings for 44 Mercer. Elevations for 40 Mercer now show that the garage and garden entrances will in fact resemble the renderings in that the ground floor glass facade will continue at a height of approximately 20' to the adjacent buildings to the north on both the Mercer Street and Broadway sides. The garden will only be accessible through the building lobby, and the garage entrance will consist of a pair of double doors.

What is up with this?

This purports to be a presentation for retail info from RFK.
    http://www.rkf.com/listings/NEW/40Mercer_main.asp

It says that the building is a "new high-end residential condominium", but it seems that RFK is still using the old discarded rendering from when the project was proposed to be a hotel.

This rendering clearly shows the garden area to be open on the Broadway side (unless that tree has been painted on the wall that now apparently will block the garden from Broadway).

Note how in all the newer renderings the marketers have conveniently blocked the view of the portion the development on the north side of the site so that it is not apparent that the garden is no longer accessible.

I guess this makes sense for those who will be paying $5,000,000.00 to live here, but as a longtime resident of the neighborhood the loss of the what was previously presented as publicly accessible space really disappoints me.

And I think it is completely dishonest and unethical for RFK to continue to use the out-dated renderings shown on their website to market this building.

The RKF rendering is indeed confusing. I couldn't figure out their intentions for the garden until I saw the plans, which seem to reflect the sketch of a ground floor plan on the second page of RKF's marketing brochure (the wall, in blue, is slightly more visible in the PDF version):

http://www.rkf.com/pdf/2005_Exclusiv..._Mercer_St.pdf

In trying to imagine the garden experience I figure it will be like the new MoMA sculpture garden, walled off from a traffic- and tourist-congested street - in this case Broadway as opposed to West 54th Street - in an attempt to form a small elitist oasis in the center of the hustle and bustle and the blaring of horns.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40Mercer_EastElevation.gif 
Views:	594 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	1076   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40Mercer_WestElevation.gif 
Views:	554 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	1077  

What's so great about this building?

I know Nouvel's an auteur, but a building like this shakes my faith in that theory.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    What's so great about this building?

I know Nouvel's an auteur, but a building like this shakes my faith in that theory.
    I'm beginning to wonder myself...

The renderings show a very awkward rhythm regarding the windows on the base portion -- some double-hung, some not.

My impression now is that the facade will be overly "busy". And once tenants have moved in and applied their own personal touches it is going to look like a jumble of unrefined ideas.

"And once tenants have moved in and applied their own personal touches it is going to look like a jumble of unrefined ideas".

The Seagrams, the UN Plaza apartments... the first wave of glass walled buildings required uniform window treatments..... I hope thatīs the case with a building like this.

The concrete wall at the north side of the site has had the forms removed -- if this were a Tadao Ando project he would make some heads roll (reportedly during construction of the Pulitzer museum in St. Louis Ando demanded that certain walls be repoured multiple times when the results did not meet his requirements; the results of his perfectionism is sublime): some of the forms for the incised lines clearly did not hold during the pour, so what are supposed to be perpendicular lines now look like an EKG.

Notice the PRIVATE POOL on the TERRACE ...

http://www.triplemint.com/triplemint..._in_.html#more

From that link:

"The good folks over at Curbed last week practically dared us to surf through the dazzling web site for Jean Nouvel and Andre Balazs' 40 Mercer condo without drooling. After the jump we wipe our chin on our sleeve and focus in on one of the more amazing details of Nouvel's residential vision in SoHo: the huge retractable panes of glass.

" ... From the site's own description:
    The design of 40 Mercer Street marks the most cutting-edge use of glass in a residential building in the United States to date...the largest sheets, approximately 7 by 12 feet, ever used on a residential project...On the lower floors, six-foot-wide sash windows open by dropping down to create a safety railing. On higher floors, windows open 17-20 feet wide electronically. All window movements are operated via key-operated motors with a built-in monitoring system. Windows are provided with recessed shades to provide uniformity of appearance from the street.
    "You can see this sliding action via a little animation on the site. We hope the condo bylaws require the shades to be uniform, as Mies insisted with the Seagram Building. Be sure to take a look, as well, at the penthouse image, with its metal louvers like something from the lair of a Bond villain."

http://www.40mercersoho.com/
    Last edited by lofter1; September 20th, 2005 at 12:24 AM.

Go here to see the floorplan for the fantastic 4139 sq. ft. 2 story unit (it has a double height great room!!). 4 bed / 4 bath with terrace and POOL: http://www.40mercersoho.com/29_web.pdf

Here's the pool seen from inside the double height great room:

Unreal on the one with a pool. At least this one looks nice from the outside too.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast