Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad times to visit Central park?

Talking Bad times to visit Central park?

I have heard of people getting robbed or mugged in central park especially if they go late at night or even wearing an ipod and just sitting to relax. So my question for new yorkers is, what time of day do you suggest is the best safest time (if there's a such thing) to go to central park? Is there places never not to go in central park? Thanks.

During the day it is very safe. I don't care where you go in the world people are getting robbed and mugged. I would not be very worried about, especially if you are with a few people.

Architectural Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by sirhcman
    During the day it is very safe. I don't care where you go in the world people are getting robbed and mugged. I would not be very worried about, especially if you are with a few people.
    I'll second that one... if you're in a group any time during daylight is safe in the park. When it's nice out the park is safe during the evening hours too... after midnight though I wouldn't go there.

As a rule of thumb, if you're alone and don't see any large groups of people, it's probably not safe. If you feel as though you don't really have any privacy, then it's probably safe.

The myth of crime in Central Park is persistent because of the symbolic nature of the park, and the media coverage any crime committed in the park gets.

The reality:
    Compare NYPD crime statistics for the 1st Precinct which covers Lower Manhattan and has low crime rates
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/pdf/chfdept/cs001pct.pdf

with those for the Central Park Precinct.
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/pdf/chfdept/cs022pct.pdf

Total crime complaints for 2003:
    1st Precinct------ 2335
    Central Park --------93

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by abbygirl
    I have heard of people getting robbed or mugged in central park especially if they go late at night or even wearing an ipod and just sitting to relax. So my question for new yorkers is, what time of day do you suggest is the best safest time (if there's a such thing) to go to central park? Is there places never not to go in central park? Thanks.
    You must be reading newspapers from the 1970's or very creative mystery novels.

I think the park has a safer "feel" during the day, but statistics might prove different. The first time i was in the city was 1993. Crime was in the city was worse at that time, but i never felt unsafe.

Banned Member

Common sense, my dear, common sense. Stay out of the more rustic areas like the Ramble late night. For the most part, there's nothing to do in the park at night, so it's really a non-issue.

There's actually lots to do in the Ramble late at night, but not if you're a young lady.

Forum Veteran

I went to see the gates at midnight after a fresh snow, and it was wonderful - didn't see a soul the whole time. The park is very quiet and beautiful at night, but I wouldn't suggest it for touristing, unless you go with a big group.

Frau - do you have some firsthand knowledge of the rambles?

As a young lady myself, I've only heard the legends and viewed the crumpled remainders the day after.

If you're familiar with the Village People classic "Fire Island", you will know what I'm talking about.

^Yikes, I think I prefer to remain oblivious, though intrigued.

I agree with ryan, the park can be a wonderful place at night. Take a stroll around the north end of the Great Lawn - you probably won't be the only one taking in the spectacular views.

Let me put it this way...

I am more worry about getting hit by a car trying to get to the park than getting attack in the park.

Now I have been in the park after dark many times... Looking for trouble... Of course I am kidding... Just hanging out with friends. But maybe on one occasion by myself... I was crossing from the East to the West.

Now if you are afraid of dark lonely places... then as a general rule... Dont go to those places. No matter where you are!

Hope this helps somehow. If not keep posting.

Talking Thanks

thanks for all your post's they are helpful. My dad's the one that is reading information from recent 2005 information of things that have recently happened at central park. but The more I think of it it could happen any where any place any time

Remind your father that the Northwest is crawling with serial killers and that Portland's crime rate is much higher than that of NYC.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau
    There's actually lots to do in the Ramble late at night, but not if you're a young lady.
    ROFL, I know what you're talking about, Schad.

But I digress. The park is very safe most of the time, and a good portion of the [few] crimes that occur there are assaults and the like that stem from fights between people who know each other.

Then again, most crimes in the City occur between people who know each other. So if you're travelling with someone, just don't give them an excuse to kill you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast