Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Urban Glass House - 330 Spring Street - Condo - by Philip Johnson

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigkdc View Post
    A friend of mine just saw a finished interior at UGH and says they look amazing. In fact he thought the interior outdid the exterior....
    The finishes are lovely, but fyi, the interiors have dropped ceilings to make room for the building's air-freshening systems.

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

^^^What does that mean exactly? What is an air freshening system?

something like this???

LOL.

505 greenwich st has a pet spa or something so maybe its a trend in that hood!

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

No, it's to correct a location problem -- Urban Glass House is right next to the vent stack for the tunnel, so its interiors have some sort of extra-fancy air exchange systems so you never smell diesel fumes.

Or so it was explained to me by my client -- selling broker probably has more high-falutin' language for it.

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

It's an air to air exchange system Ali.

Between the Holland Tunnel vent stack, the UPS lot across the street, the parked NYC Garbage trucks, the building is stuck in the middle of a vast diesel-belching wasteland. It does have a view of the river until they build a new water view building on the UPS lot.

Somehow I doubt the gentile people who buy in this building will allow the overnight parking of garbage trucks under their windows. But come summer and the rotting smell of garbage trucks, these fine people will appreciate the air to air exchange system.

Still I have to ask if eventually there will be bottled air in buildings like we have bottled water, or if we'll just steal it from Druidia and King Roland like Dark Helmet did.

-J

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Looks like our new friend here has a bit of sarcastic humor in him.

Welcome to the forum, OE.

Default interesting...

This came from this weeks New York magazine....don't all new developments have delays when they open? From reading the posts on the Orion they seem to be going through the same kind of opening issues...

Slow Going at Urban Glass House

Johnson on his 90th birthday, in 1996.Photo: AP

You'd think the first rule of buying in the Urban Glass House — the Spring Street development that is both the late Philip Johnson's final project and an homage to his iconic New Canaan, Connecticut, home — would be to never, ever throw stones. But, several purchasers argue, the developer's tardiness is making that impossible. "They said it would be ready in July, but we're still waiting," says the disgruntled buyer of one of the building's 40 units, with prices that average $1,600 per square foot. Developer Scott Sabbagh, who bought the site two years ago after a 300-foot, Johnson-designed tower planned for it was nixed by preservationist groups, says the delays were unfortunate but worth it. "When you're doing things that are not commonly done, construction takes longer," he says, noting the high-end finishes by Annabelle Selldorf, who designed the Abercrombie & Fitch flagship on Fifth Avenue, and complications like having to reinforce the neighboring Ear Inn, which risked collapsing. Sabbagh says condos started closing on November 10, but that stone-throwing buyer is still living in temporary housing and says he hasn't yet heard about a move-in date. "They don't call with updates," he says. "It's not nice." —Deborah Schoeneman

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by bigkdc View Post
    Developer Scott Sabbagh, who bought the site two years ago after a 300-foot, Johnson-designed tower planned for it was nixed by preservationist groups
    I'm still sore about this...Johnson really had a great design for that building. Would've been a nice way to go out.

Pianoman, you have a rendering for the tower that could have been? I'd love to see what it looked like.

Look at post 10 in this thread.

Default opportunity cost

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686 View Post
    I'm still sore about this...Johnson really had a great design for that building. Would've been a nice way to go out.

economics 101 ............ talk about "opportunity cost"
    Last edited by infoshare; December 5th, 2006 at 07:52 PM. Reason: add link

The Dude Abides

I'm not sure what you mean...

What's so great about this building? Just that Johnson designed it?
    It's a bore. A mediocre bore.

The Dude Abides

Which building are you talking about? The one who ended up getting or the one that was rejected?