Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 111 West 57th St - 1350 ft

Believe it or not the Ritz is a NYC insitution...it´s where all of the society ladies sold their fur coats after the season ended or put their things into storage. It was/is a thrift shop with Park avenue ladies and celebrities supplying the goods. If I´m not mistaken it was once in another location on 57th street in a small art-deco style building.

[Image removed my moderator]
    Last edited by Edward; September 23rd, 2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Old link, now malware

The Dude Abides

RITZ SITE GETS A RITZY PRICE: $52M

lois.weiss@nypost.com

October 4, 2006 -- BARRY Sternlicht's Starwood Capital Group has gobbled up the now vacant Ritz site at 105-07 W. 57th St. for a whopping $52 million.

The narrow site next to the Buckingham Hotel may be destined for a new Crillon, the French boutique hotel and residence brand Starwood is launching led by its flagship Hotel de Crillon in Paris.

In January, Starwood said it was targeting the city and while reps confirmed the purchase they declined comment on the exact plans.

The sellers, entities of Investcorp and Ceebraid-Signal, were going to build a new tower full of lavish condos and ritz it up, just as they had done at Palm Beach's Brazilian Court.

They paid $23 million to the family that owned the Ritz fur shop, and another $8.75 million to adjacent property owner Sam Domb for development rights but never moved forward.

Copyright 2006 NYP Holdings, Inc.

Notice how the Ritz store has washed out remains of the "Ritz Building" signage. Funny to see that shed trying to run with the big boys next door, with a fancy title proclaiming its name.

That "furs' link above doesn't take you to the Ritz any more ... now it takes you to this:

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Talking

He's wearing quite a bit of makeup for the beach -

^^ I created that look, and obviously this guy just stole it. You've probably seen me strutting through Central Park with that same outfit.

The Dude Abides

Well, at least there's some sign of activity here. A construction wall has been put up:

Pianoman: Not sure why but all the pics you've posted in your latest posts are showing up as the dreaded "x" ...

Unhappy

We must have the worse luck...

I think this was the schematic design before the the site was sold off to Starwood. Starwood's design won't be close to being this tall since all these units were double-height.

^ That would have been a beauty.

(Reminds me a bit of Calatrava and Sciame's project Downtown.)

Can we call that concept design a sliver building? And, if so, would the reaction to this sliver be different from the sliver going up on Eighth Avenue? I know some people universally have a distaste for sliver buildings. But could a thoughtfully designed sliver building change minds?

Is there no chance the new developer would build something similar, or even buy the old design?

slivers: I would bet that the reaction would be much different.

Peter Marino has a huge international following (due to his interior design work), is very respected, has impeccable taste. He does not do junk.

The press would call this one a "slim tower".

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny View Post
    Is there no chance the new developer would build something similar, or even buy the old design?

Well, Starwood develops hotels, so it's safe to assume there will be no double height spaces...thus it will be half as tall.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast