View Poll Results: WHICH MEGALOPOLIS HAS A BETTER SKYLINE?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • SAO PAULO

5 33.33%
  • TOKYO

10 66.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAO PAULO VS TOKYO

HONG KONG (ORIGINALLY FROM THE PHILIPPINES)

Default SAO PAULO VS TOKYO

I must be crazy by doing this but this is one is interesting to compare. I know people will say "YEAH TOKYO IS MUCH BETTER" but think again! Anyway, both are megalopolis, have a population of over 18,000,000, have high concentration of skyscrapers and are centers of culture, entertainment, business and finance. Both are important cities in their region, one in South America and the other in Asia. Also, Sao Paulo does have a sizable Japanese population. So which city has a better skyline?

Forum Veteran

Hmmm. Sao Paulo has a longer history with skyscrapers (one of the most historical skyscraper cities in South America, actually), but its buildings are shorter as you said. Tokyo is more modern, but very little of its current architecture is prewar, unless you count relics of the Imperial/feudal/Meiji eras. But Sao Paulo has many historical buildings from its initial foundation also; plus you can see a lot of New York in Sao Paulo's history.

It's a tough choice. Tokyo certainly wins out regarding quality of life, but I'm voting Sao Paulo for better skyline.

Which is which? :wink:

Do you really think the popular choice would be Tokyo? Sao Paulo has the more interesting mix.

They have graffiti!!!

And so does Tokyo!

Rakugaki.
    I've heard that Osaka is the graffiti capital of Japan.

Forum Veteran

Even so, I'd think it would be quite minimal.

I thin that Sao Paulo is better. It has a dense skyline.

Zippy not really! Yokohama is known to be the graffiti capital of Japan. There's an area in Yokohama that has a graffiti wall that stretch for miles.

Anyway, It's pretty surprising that you guys pick Sao Paulo over Tokyo. I thought people would pick Tokyo because of the clusters of skyscrapers in Shinjuku and in other business areas and also it's ultra modern design. Besides the skyscrapers, there's also the vibrant nighlife with it's animated neon lights and large screen televisions and a variety of shopping areas.

I also voted for Sao Paulo because of the endless number of skyscrapers that stretch for miles. Also, their buildings are very interesting in many ways. Because of the huge influx of immigrants moving to Sao Paulo, housing is need and budget is limited. So most of the buildings in Sao Paulo are bland and ugly. There are only a few good looking buildings and a few modern skyscrapers.

Graffiti is a major problem in Sao Paulo especially "PICHACAO" tags. Here's an example of one.

A PICHACAO covered building. (www.graffiti.org)

Besides graffiti, poverty and crime are some of the major problems that face Sao Paulo and the rate of poverty in SP is pretty high. But compared to Tokyo, Sao Paolo's population is more diverse and cosmopolitan. People from many parts of the world live and work here.

More images in both cities.

A scene of downtown Sao Paolo. These are some of the oldest buildings in the city if not, in South America. Italian immigrants in the city financed and constructed these skyscrapers. The reddish victorian building is the Martinelli Building which is the oldest skyscraper in South America. The building on the center, The Banespa Building is very influenced by the Empire State Building in New York.

Old downtown. The skyscraper on the left is the Edipico Italia, the 2nd tallest building in Sao Paulo.

These buildings here resembles those of New York skyscrapers from the 1950s to 60s

New downtown. These are some of the more modern skyscrapers in Sao Paulo

Sao Paolo's skyline is endless

Ibirapuera Park a bit of greenery in SP

Sao Paulo @ night

The planned Maharishi Tower of Peace. If completed, the tower will be 510 ft. It was originally planned in India and supposed to be finance by Maharishi Yogi. The building is designed by Minoru Yamasaki and Associates, the same company that designed the World Trade Center

Tokyo's skyline is endless as well

The waterfront and Tokyo Teleport Town

Tokyo Tower @ night

skyscrapers of Shinjuku

The Statue of Liberty, skyscrapers and supension bridge gives Tokyo a feel of New York

The jungle of neon lights give the impression of Tokyo as the neon capital of the world

Default SAO PAOLO vs. TOKYO

i beleieve Tokyo ahs a better skyline because more well-known companies are in Tokyo than in Sao Paolo, and unfortunately in Sao Paolo, slums build up after passing the skyscrapers and the business district.

Sao Paulo is very ugly and short IMO, not even pretty.

Tokyo has an awesome skyline, and is a far more awesome city. Tokyo is world class, Sao Paulo is not.

There's really no comparison in my mind.

I was in Sao Paulo in February. I loved the city and it's people. The skyline definitely goes on forever. I loved the way most skyscrapers along Paulista Avenue(a main thoroughfare) had public shopping plazas and theaters in the first few floors of their bases- welcomed retreats for residents trying to escape summer heat. Some of the residential buildings had neocolonial flavor that was attractive, not cheap looking.
    That said, in my opinion there were only a few exceptional towers in design and most seemed less than 40 floors. I was puzzled by that, as the city is not short on ego and determination to be one of the world's best.
    I think Tokyo, very impressive in photos,wins, but I have not been there in person.

Quote Originally Posted by PHLguy
    Sao Paulo is very ugly and short IMO, not even pretty.

Tokyo has an awesome skyline, and is a far more awesome city. Tokyo is world class, Sao Paulo is not.

There's really no comparison in my mind.

Wow, Sao Paulo isn't ugly man. I enjoy the city, even though i did vote Tokyo, Sao Paulo is a beautiful city, skyline inclusive.

And as Zippy pointed out, they do have graffiti ;]

Smile Kindest Regards from Sampa City!!! (as SP is known in Brazil...)

I decided to enter this forum as the discussion topic is so unusual... And I was really surprised!

I am a 40 yo guy from the sunny Rio de Janeiro, living form 15v yrs in São Paulo.

I must tell u that SP is really an ugly city at first but it really takes some time till u can understand it.

It is also important to understand the State of SP (São Paulo city is the capital of the state of SP), the richest of Brazil, and its people and culture.

And, of course, to understand Brazil, a country with thousand of aspects, and the play Sampa City plays to brazilians.

I have also been to Tokyo and I must say both cities are very similar. Of course, due to the severe financial problems Brazil in facing till the end of 70's (the country was very dependend of oil when the intl prices grew a lot by the mid-70´s: Now Brazil imports by 5-10% of the amount it needs but discontrol caused by that increase is still present with high inflation etc etc). An, due to it, not only SP but Brazil have both a lot of social problems like poverty and high crime rates.

But when I walk on SP streets I really fell comfortable as if I were walking throughout a small village and I fell at home!

The city of SP is now with 10 mi inhabitants and the greater metropolitan aerea (SP plus a lot of connecting cities like São Bernardo, Osasco, Guarulhos etc etc) is now by 18 mi.

Also, SP is surrounded by other small metropolitan areas like Santos (and its neighbourhoods like Guarujá, São Vincente etc), Campinas (and varios cities connected to it) and other fast growing areas.

Many people work in SP and live in Santos, for exemple, which has Latin America´s biggest port as weel as many people live in SP and work in Campinas, and important computer industry and technology center.

I think all this togheter passes 25 mi inhabitants (the population of Holland is by 20 mi!)

The nicest buildings are: Martinelli, Banespa, Fiesp, Italia, Copan, Microsoft, WTC and some along Berrini ave and Paulista ave.

Fell free to send me questions about São Paulo or Rio de Janeiro if u want to!

Warmest Regards from could SP!

Cool Still About SAMPA CITY

May I suggest you the following links:

For texts:

http://www.spsitecity.com.br/index2.htm

For Photos:

http://www.noitesaopaulo.com.br/fotos/nsp_fotos_home.htm

Um Grande Abraços para todos!

The Prada building sits in a corner of its site, creating a small entrance plaza – an effective gesture of restraint from an otherwise rather unrestrained building. Herzog comments on the rarity of this locally: “Tokyo is a city where not a single building relates to its neighborhood, and every building fills its whole site. We took a chance in creating a little space outdoors, like in European cities. We also reversed the typical Japanese emphasis on looking inward by giving importance to the view.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast