View Poll Results: Should the International Freedom Center be built on the WTC site?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • It should be built right where its planned on the WTC site.

17 39.53%
  • It should be built but off the WTC site.

9 20.93%
  • It should be built in some other place of the WTC site.

7 16.28%
  • It should not be built at all, anywhere.

10 23.26%
Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: WTC Memorial Pavilion - Visitors Center - by Snohetta

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    It looks like the writing is on the wall on this...

Too bad because it's a great design.
    No necessarily. The building and what goes into it are two different things. I personally think the design is pretty good, even if the "Freedom Center" is insipid. One solution would be to move the 9/11 museum from underground to the above-ground building.

does it bother anyone else that between the museum, the transit center, the memorial, and the towers, the site has absolutely no sense of architectural unity?

Not really.I actually find it more interesting. Each building with its own personality. If all have the same color or same desighn, it won't be as nice as all with its own personality. Imagine if all of New York Skyscrapers were made to have architectural unity with each other. New York would not look as nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyboy
    Not really.I actually find it more interesting. Each building with its own personality. If all have the same color or same desighn, it won't be as nice as all with its own personality. Imagine if all of New York Skyscrapers were made to have architectural unity with each other. New York would not look as nice.
    Then again, there's Rockefeller Center...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyboy
    To get some sense of architectural unity, you don't have to make all the buildings the same color or the same design. Each can still have its own personality, but some relation is needed on the site to give it a sense of belonging together. Right now it seems we're heading towards a park/memorial bound by a number of mismatched building. That's not really a bad thing, but if we're trying to make the site feel like a whole, like it didn't come together randomly, there needs to be some common elements throughout the site's structures - perhaps common elements that can be found in the details.

The Dude Abides

I too think the cultural center crowds that area too much, even though it is a great building. I wish they could put it somewhere else in the city, possibly somewhere near the Hudson riverfront, or just to the north of the site. If it's separate from the WTC, it can have whatever content it wants. If it's going to be a WTC memorial building, right next to the memorial, it needs to focus on September 11th, nothing else.

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by greenie
    ...That's not really a bad thing, but if we're trying to make the site feel like a whole, like it didn't come together randomly, there needs to be some common elements throughout the site's structures - perhaps common elements that can be found in the details.
    Or a big chainlink fence around the whole thing.

It's the only structure located on the memorial block and even stands between the two pools. It has no business being there unless it includes the 9/11 museum, which itself deserves a location overlooking the memorial.

Actually, the more we can put into that memorial park thing the better, since I'm eagerly awaiting news of the landscaping of that park. If it's just a big flat area with scattered trees, it's not going to be someplace people will hang out.

I really don't get the its to crowded argument. Hello, its NYC. We can never have too much culture.

Eliminate one of the towers, and put the cultural center there.

A good place might be the Deutsche Bank site. It's the least attractive for commercial leasing (farthest from the transit center), and far enough from the memorial not to upset anyone ( I am probably wrong on this point).

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    A good place might be the Deutsche Bank site. It's the least attractive for commercial leasing (farthest from the transit center), and far enough from the memorial not to upset anyone ( I am probably wrong on this point).
    That's a great suggestion. And, it prevents a tall structure from keeping the memorial in a shadow during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    Eliminate one of the towers, and put the cultural center there. A good place might be the Deutsche Bank site. It's the least attractive for commercial leasing (farthest from the transit center).
    Although it will probably never happen, I agree with Zippy that moving the Snohetta building to the Deutsche Bank site would be a better solution.

Opening up the area where the Snohetta building is now situated would also benefit Calatrava's plan for the transporation center, creating an open vista that will allow his beautiful design to soar (rather than being boxed in as it is under the current plan).

As if my "vote" counts, but I also support placing the Snohetta cultural building in the south plaza. It would be a nearby neighbor to the new Greek Orthodox church and offer a pleasant contrast to the soaring towers. If I may speculate, encouraged by other's musings: presuming the master plan has some fluidity (within reason), the two towers (Freedom Tower; off-site 7 WTC) and the retail in the underground transit concourses would get the site beyond the construction pit and into some sustainable income. If market forces determine the when and how of additional towers, then maybe, one day, a tower could rise higher than Freedom Tower. Tower 2 or 3 would rise as need dictates, and it could be 60 storeys, or more, or less. The site would still make sense. The location of tower 5 for the cultural center makes great sense. Good call, Zippy.

O...K...

anyway, getting back to the actual center...what is going to be in there? Is it going to be a timeline of the struggle for freedom or something like that?

and what's with the stupid names? I understand the need for patriotism but who is naming this stuff? Freedom WALK? WTF is a Freedom Walk?

Take the train to the Freedom Station where you will exit hte Freedom Train and walk across the Freedom Sidewalk to the group of Freedom Trees. There you will look at the Freedom Tower, Freedom Center, Freedom Newstand, Freedom Memorial, Freedom Giftshops Freedom Water and Freedom Air.

Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast