View Poll Results: Should the International Freedom Center be built on the WTC site?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • It should be built right where its planned on the WTC site.

17 39.53%
  • It should be built but off the WTC site.

9 20.93%
  • It should be built in some other place of the WTC site.

7 16.28%
  • It should not be built at all, anywhere.

10 23.26%
Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253 LastLast

Thread: WTC Memorial Pavilion - Visitors Center - by Snohetta

They were never supposed to be seen from the west, only the north side. Also, since the pavilion is not completed they've draped the immediate area behind the tridents off to shed more light on them at night.

It's impossible to see them during the day even from the north side. It takes going right up to the glass and putting your face against it and blocking out the light, which is why I believe at times we've seen them rope off the front of the glass pavilion. People must be making too many face and hand prints on the glass.

At night it's also somewhat difficult to see the tridents, the fact that they had to drape something behind them to bring them out is a bit unsettling.

The materials that were loaded up on the roof a few weeks back (apparently a type of big pavers) are now being laid out atop the pavilion.

Yes, the contractor is installing pavers at the Pavilion roof.

Is that any good news as far as work goes? Or is the PA and the memorial foundation still going at it?

I don't know the current situation between the foundation and the PA, but there's minor work going on at the Pavilion, including installation of sheetrock walls, removing temporary supports, installing fire alarms, etc. Work at the Museum is however stalled.

The framework for the roof top structure here looks like it's finally all in place.

The Snohetta website has a crazy uber-saturated aerial shot of the WTC site (taken more than a few months ago):

http://www.snoarc.no/#/projects/98/f...ll/image/1523/

And this image shows detail of the perforated metal entry canopy that I don't think I've seen before:

http://www.snoarc.no/#/projects/98/false/all/image/864/

Snohetta will be designing a new library for Temple University in North Philadelphia:

Transformative Architects Set Eyes On North Broad Street

hiddencityphiladelphia
    APRIL 9, 2013

Another lot to be gone: site of forthcoming Sn°hetta library at Temple University | Image: Google Maps

Temple University campus architect Margaret Carney said last week the university sought “the best talent in the world” in selecting the Norway-based firm Sn°hetta for a new campus library to be built adjacent to the Liacouras Center and McGonigle Hall on North Broad Street.

Carney, speaking at a university lecture given by Sn°hetta director Craig Dykers, said that the new library “will redefine [the term] ‘library.’” She continued, “it will be an invention; you can’t point to anything currently like it.”

Alexandria Library | Photo courtesy of Sn°hetta

The firm earned an international reputation in 1989 with the competition-winning entry for the new library in Alexandria, Egypt. Since then, the firm has completed numerous award winning projects including the Norwegian National Opera in Oslo and the National September 11 Memorial Museum Pavilion at the World Trade Center in New York City. Sn°hetta was recently commissioned for a redesign of Times Square.

At Temple, Sn°hetta will partner with the local design firm Stantec.

Dykers’ lecture focused on the firm’s impressive work portfolio, which also includes a number of notable library projects (the firm has completed upwards of 20 such projects in its 24-year history). It’s this array of projects that Margaret Carney said was a main factor behind choosing Sn°hetta’s proposal out of 39 submissions for the new Temple library.

The project is currently under contract negotiation between Sn°hetta, Stantec, and Temple, so project details were left out of Dykers lecture. Instead, the packed room of students, professors, professionals, and citizens gained insight into the firm’s outlook on the demise of “dusty old” libraries and the rise of transformative, knowledge-intensive, community hubs.

The firm prides itself on its nontraditional approach—authorship is nowhere to be found in the firm’s name, Sn°hetta (a Norwegian mountain)—rather than for a star or list of star partners. The firm name is just one of many collectivist-oriented approaches and the firm doesn’t shy away from designing for socially just causes where opportunity exists to bring people together for various reasons. Enter the 21st Century library, a place Dykers sees as a community center intrinsic in people’s daily life where diverse groups of people can share information and knowledge.

“Modern library design has to be about more than just adding computers,” Dykers told me in an interview yesterday. “You need to understand how people interact—from single individuals who are quiet up to 40 people who are loud and dramatic.”

“Because media and the Internet saturates our daily lives, there is so much access to information,” he said. “What we don’t have enough of are places to share that information.”

For decades now, libraries have both been viewed and designed as places exclusively for quiet and solitude, and for the archiving and storing of the written word. Dykers sees that outdated view as a “tremendously challenged,” short-sighted scope of what libraries can provide.

“Libraries have never been just about books or computers,” Dykers said in the lecture. “A library is a place for people to interact and allow for diversity in thinking. It’s about creating useful and viable spaces for people.”

This function, Dykers says, is a return to knowledge sharing centers as active places, based on the experience of Ancient Greece. The Greek stoa—covered walkways that would typically surround a town’s central market place (agora)—would draw intellectuals to discuss philosophy and politics.

Hunt Library | Image courtesy of Sn°hetta

Sn°hetta’s recent library projects build off the stoa example, aiming to create dynamic, active places where people feed off that energy in the sharing knowledge process. Hunt Library at North Carolina State, the firm’s most recent library project, celebrated its official dedication last week. The building is noted for its generous open spaces connecting all floors of the library as well as its emphasis on an interactive and social environment where “disruptive” learning spaces with colorful, dynamic furnishings exist alongside more focused study areas.

At Temple, Carney sees a chance for the library to “fully embrace Broad Street” and “become a stronger part of the urban context.”

The Ryerson University Student Learning Centre in Toronto, which broke ground in recent months, is another example. When complete, it too will offer a range of activities for users, both on an individual and collaborative basis. The library’s prominent Yonge Street frontage will even feature destination retail services.

Dykers said the firm is focused on the future and the ever-evolving needs of modern libraries. “By the time the library in Toronto opens, technology will have advanced even more,” he told me. “Access to building and making things is dramatically changing.”

Ryerson Student Learning Centre, University of Toronto | Image: Sn°hetta

Sustainable and environmental design will continue to be a major component of projects the size and scope of Temple’s new library, an aspect Sn°hetta will certainly address; 25% of the firm is comprised of landscape and interior architects.

Technology, Dykers asserts, not information, is now what libraries provide access to in the modern world, especially to those that can’t always afford modern conveniences.

With that in mind, Dykers believes that in addition to being places where reading and sharing is paramount, libraries are quickly becoming places for makers as well. “Libraries will be about making of things, not just reading things,” he said.

The Hunt Library features 3D printing in the “Makerspace” section of the library where students, faculty, and staff can learn about emerging technologies and how to bring their digital creations to life. With the Temple University library still under contract negotiations, Dykers can’t yet speak on project details. With the firm’s work as a precedent, and with Temple’s newfound commitment to rigorous architecture, what can assuredly be expected is the transformation of the term “library” in Philadelphia—and we imagine, the experience of North Broad Street.

I don't usually fall in love with out of the box contemporary architecture, but I cannot stop looking at this building when I see a photograph of it. It has the same effect on me in person. Those striped opaque windows really make the clear ones much more dramatic. Love it.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Yes. It's fantastic!

I never liked the idea of a Performing Arts Center at the WTC site in the first place. The WTC is an office center, with some retail and a train station. If you want to build an art theater, put it on Broadway a block away, not in the middle of the WTC. The plot of land also always seemed to be to be too small for an art theater, since in addition to a large main auditorium, you'd also have to have rehearsal rooms, storage closets, backstage room, restrooms, some kind of lobby area, administrative offices, etc. Unless they planned to make the building multiple storeys, I have no clue how they planned to fit this all in a building with the same size footprint as 7WTC. The original WTC complex didn't have any building designated exclusively as an art theater. However, the original WTC complex did have a building designated exclusively as a hotel for business travelers and tourists, and now that this Performing Arts Center is essentially dead, and because there is currently no hotel in the master plan for the WTC site, I think it's time for the Port Authority to at least seriously consider leasing this plot of land for a hotel to be built on it. It's also the ideal location for a hotel, right between Towers 1 and 2 (which is where the original hotel was located). This is a quick sketch I made... With this kind of layout, the main hotel portion would be 290 feet long (and could be even longer). The original Marriott Hotel (3WTC) was 344 feet long and 242 feet tall. If the builders designed to have the new hotel contain exactly the same amount of hotel rooms as the original hotel, the new hotel would only have to be 286 feet tall. For comparison, the Post Office building adjacent to 7WTC and 2WTC is 276 feet tall at its parapet (the smaller penthouses on the roof rise to 306 feet). In addition to the main hotel portion, there's also ample room (marked in the sketch above with the thinner black line) for a few-storey portion to allow for a larger lobby, a ballroom, gym, pool space, or whatnot. So, what do you guys think of this? Would you rather the new "6WTC" be a Performing Arts Center or a hotel?
    Last edited by RKOwens44; June 3rd, 2013 at 05:08 PM.

...a performing arts center. (sorry)

(So, what do you guys think of this? Would you rather the new "6WTC" be a Performing Arts Center or a hotel?)

I agree about the PAC: that type of use doesn't seem to fit what would be the overall 'program requirements' of the site in general - but I am no expert on the matter to say the least, just my impression. So, my default position is 'a hotel' .

Nice write-up and the site conditions, site plan and photos - Thanks.

Look forward to seeing more of the same........