View Poll Results: Should the International Freedom Center be built on the WTC site?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • It should be built right where its planned on the WTC site.

17 39.53%
  • It should be built but off the WTC site.

9 20.93%
  • It should be built in some other place of the WTC site.

7 16.28%
  • It should not be built at all, anywhere.

10 23.26%
Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3434950515253

Thread: WTC Memorial Pavilion - Visitors Center - by Snohetta

Quote Originally Posted by RKOwens44 View Post
    The original WTC complex didn't have any building designated exclusively as an art theater. However, the original WTC complex did have a building designated exclusively as a hotel for business travelers and tourists, and now that this Performing Arts Center is essentially dead, and because there is currently no hotel in the master plan for the WTC site, I think it's time for the Port Authority to at least seriously consider leasing this plot of land for a hotel to be built on it.
    The original WTC needed a hotel; there were hardly any in downtown Manhattan.

Now there are five within one block. And more on the way. Silverstein's 30 Park Pl (aka 99 Church) will have a hotel. 99 Washington St is topped out. I think it's more likely that site 5 will be a mixed use residential than an office building.

Hotels are vehicle intensive; don't forget security screening.

I don't see a need for a hotel on the WTC site. Don't much like the idea anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Now there are five within one block. And more on the way. Silverstein's 30 Park Pl (aka 99 Church) will have a hotel. 99 Washington St is topped out. I think it's more likely that site 5 will be a mixed use residential than an office building.
    Downtown Manhattan is also becoming much more of a tourist destination than it was prior to 9/11, hence the reason for the new hotels to keep up with demand. Obviously if the PA were going to decide to build a hotel, the first thing they would do is look at market conditions and see if demand for such a hotel would exist. I think the fact that so many developers are jumping on the downtown hotel bandwagon is that yes, there is a demand for hotel space downtown. And when the WTC towers and museum opens in the coming years, there's going to be even MORE of a tourism boom downtown and even more demand for lodging. Again, I'm just saying this is something they should consider, since the PAC is obviously going nowhere. It was a poor idea that was doomed to fail anyway, just like that "International Freedom Center".

BTW, for those who haven't seen it, this is a cool documentary focusing on the original hotel at the WTC on 9/11 which I saw recently... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROe3fyAZt_k

They've planted a tree along Greenwich, just outside an entry door to the Memorial Pavilion at the NE corner.

And, looking at the building on the WTC Earthcam (click the Elevated View cam), one could read into the pavilion design some symbolism of the planes' paths into the towers. Look at the angular north face, and the implied direction found in the design (an indent pointing towards the south on the west end of the northern facade, and an indent pointing towards the north on the east end of the that northern facade, most prominently seen on the canopy over the entrance there). Couple that with the previously discussed "ghost" seen in the panels of that facade.

Generally, how long do people have to snake around in that line?

I looped the memorial the other day about three times, and it took twenty minutes for the line to move up a segment. It's like trying to get onto the most popular ride at the amusement park.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Apt comparison.

Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3434950515253