Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poverty in New York

Default Poverty in New York

In New York, there is a large separation from the rich and the impoverished. So this is my question: Where do the richest people in New York live and where do the poor live?

The richest live in the city...and the less affluent are in the outer boroughs (Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens)

It's not true that wealthy people live in Manhattan and poor people live in the outer boroughs.

There are pockets of affluence every borough. There are public housing projects dotted around the wealthiest areas of Manhattan.

Also, Manhattan is not "the city". All five boroughs make up New York City.

See the attachment for a sample page from a report named "The State of New York City's Housing and Neighborhoods" - there is a thread in Real Estate about this. In this attached page, you can see that in Manhattan, the median monthly rent in 2002 varied from $450 to $1,300 depending on neighborhood.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Furman_20.jpg 
Views:	581 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	871  

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau
    It's not true that wealthy people live in Manhattan and poor people live in the outer boroughs.

There are pockets of affluence every borough. There are public housing projects dotted around the wealthiest areas of Manhattan.

Also, Manhattan is not "the city". All five boroughs make up New York City.
    Agreed, all of the outer boroughs have very large upper class popualtions. As well as large, and rapidly growing, middle class populations from all the immigrants and people who didn't flee. The poverty rate (I believe) has gone down.

And Manhattan still has it's sections of poverty. I heard that the East Village still has it's "edge" to it.

Quote Originally Posted by alex ballard
    Agreed, all of the outer boroughs have very large upper class popualtions. As well as large, and rapidly growing, middle class populations from all the immigrants and people who didn't flee. The poverty rate (I believe) has gone down.

And Manhattan still has it's sections of poverty. I heard that the East Village still has it's "edge" to it.
    The poverty rate has gone up. Dominicans, Jamaicans and Mexicans are flooding the neighborhoods of NYC. These people are from the islands or native Los Angelenos type Mexicans. They are usually low income, sending money home. If not many plan on making as much money as they can and raising families in their own homes in the future. Middle income White families continue to leave the city much faster then White yuppies/artist/homosexuals come in. The income gap in NYC has grown. The poorer areas are continueally poorer while rich areas are getting even more wealthy.

NYC has pockets of poverty located in affluent areas and lower income/working class ghetto neighborhoods. The pockets of poverty in wealthy areas are usually lone low income housing projects. Then you have vast ghettos, collections of poor neighborhoods like the south Bronx.

No one borough is a complete slum, no one borough is a rich mans paradise. The Bronx has the largest highest percentage of poverty, Staten Island has the smallest.

You have ghettos like Mott Haven, Brownsville, Hunts Point, ect. With average incomes under $10,000 a year. Then you have areas with average income of around $90,000 a year, like the Upper East Side, with one housing project with a $15,000 dollar average income.

---

To answer your question, the richest people live in the Upper East Side, Manhattan. The poorest live in Mott Haven, The Bronx. The richest community is majorty White. The poorest is majority Puerto Rican.

And yes, there is a large seperation between rich and poor.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by BxOne
    Middle income White families continue to leave the city much faster then White yuppies/artist/homosexuals come in. The income gap in NYC has grown. The poorer areas are continueally poorer while rich areas are getting even more wealthy.
    If this were actually true, then why the housing/construction boom? Why all the complaints (and, um, physical reality) of gentrification? Why has the average rent in my neighborhood quadrupled in the past 5 years? Aside from xenophobia, can you cite any reason or reference to your argument?

I'd be really surprised if Mott Haven was more poverty-stricken than East New York or Brownsville. Maybe in the early 90s, but I doubt it now.

Poverty is everywhere in the world.

I am a Social Worker with the severe mentally ill. Most of them live in extreme poverty. A lot of them live with other family members, or aging family members (mom, dad) in overcrowded apartments. All of the clients I work with reside in Queens, and in every neighborhood of Queens. There is a severe lack of housing for this population, and the housing that does exist, most will not take them because they are looking for "model clients". If they say they won't take meds, or don't want a roommate, or want their own apartment, boom, there you go, turned down.

Quote Originally Posted by winneythepooh7
    I am a Social Worker with the severe mentally ill. Most of them live in extreme poverty. A lot of them live with other family members, or aging family members (mom, dad) in overcrowded apartments. All of the clients I work with reside in Queens, and in every neighborhood of Queens. There is a severe lack of housing for this population, and the housing that does exist, most will not take them because they are looking for "model clients". If they say they won't take meds, or don't want a roommate, or want their own apartment, boom, there you go, turned down.
    Do you work in the psychiatry field? Do your clients get welfare cheque? If you work in that field, how psychiatry work in New York states? I know psychiatry work in Quebec.
    Last edited by Gab; September 8th, 2005 at 06:11 PM. Reason: To add someting I fogot

Quote Originally Posted by Gab
    Do you work in the psychiatry field? Do your clients get welfare cheque? If you work in that field, how psychiatry work in New York states? I know psychiatry work in Quebec.
    They don't have welfare, they have SSI/Medicaid and that really is not a whole lot to live on in NYC, let alone cover rent. They get like $500 a month. And those are the clients who qualify. You have to realize that many people are immigrants/non-citizens and thus not eligible for US benefits. In addition, some clients are married and have benefits (not Medicaid/SSI) through their spouse, which often cover even less of their care. Healthcare is a big problem in the United States. I could be wrong, but doesn't everyone qualify for healthcare in Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by winneythepooh7
    They don't have welfare, they have SSI/Medicaid and that really is not a whole lot to live on in NYC, let alone cover rent. They get like $500 a month. And those are the clients who qualify. You have to realize that many people are immigrants/non-citizens and thus not eligible for US benefits. In addition, some clients are married and have benefits (not Medicaid/SSI) through their spouse, which often cover even less of their care. Healthcare is a big problem in the United States. I could be wrong, but doesn't everyone qualify for healthcare in Canada?
    Everyone can be qualify to get healthcare in Quebec, but you have to stay 6 months if you're an immigrant to get your medicare card. I don't know how it works in other provinces. A black American guy told me:"Here in Quebec you wait for long time to get a doctor while you're waiting in the waiting room but you have a good treatment, I got better service than United States and I really think that tax payers got their money's worth for the medicare card from the Régie de l'assurance maladie". When I was younger, I didn't wait so long to get a doctor but the government cut on heathcare and that's the reason why it's long to get a doctor.

Forum Veteran

Does the quality of healthcare in Canada vary from province/territory to province/territory?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast