• TWIN TOWERS II

51 80.95%
  • The Freedom Tower

12 19.05%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: TWIN TOWERS II vs. The Freedom Tower

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio
    Well it DOES look truck-bomb proof.
    You know the only way to proof a building?

Remove the threat.

You know what stands up well against car/truck bombs?

Hills.

All they need to do is build the site up and back from any commercial traffic. The larger the vehicle, the further away it should be from any critical sites and the more stuff should be between the two.

You get a good 10 foot escarpment around the edge, maybe in marble, with a single line of names of the people who died all around the entire site, and you will have a few things.

You will have a memorial that is simply stated, and serves a function to protect the structures from something similar happening to them again.

The names could be the barrier.

Hmmmm, I kinda like that......

Note that the facade of the original TTs was all about VERTICALITY ...

Now look at the Trump(ed) up new buildings --

And all those the m a s s i v e h o r i z o n t a l b a n d s.

The new ones just don't work.

NO NO NO No no no no no no . . . . . . . . .. .. . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    Note that the facade of the original TTs was all about VERTICALITY ...

Now look at the Trump(ed) up new buildings --

And all those the m a s s i v e h o r i z o n t a l b a n d s.

The new ones just don't work.

NO NO NO No no no no no no . . . . . . . . .. .. . . . . . . . . . . . .
    They look sort of like large Bose speakers or something....

Maybe battery packs.

just curious, I know its been 1/2 year. I was at the teamtwintowers.org site and was wondering if this group is still pushing to get the twin towers rebuilt the way Trump would've wanted, or are plans for the Freedom Tower going full speed ahead?

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by wns808
    just curious, I know its been 1/2 year. I was at the teamtwintowers.org site and was wondering if this group is still pushing to get the twin towers rebuilt the way Trump would've wanted, or are plans for the Freedom Tower going full speed ahead?
    They were still going forward following the release of the latest FT design. They pushed their own 'design competition' which didn't create much buzz. I also wanted to see some form of the towers rebuilt but I saw the latest Childs design as a good compromise - which they did not. Their former spokesperson started another group. This movement is essentially dormant and/or dead.

Question: If only one of the towers had been destroyed do you think they would have rebuilt another twin? I've always sort of wondered about that.

Given what happened to the nearby Deutsche Bank building, there is a good chance that even if only one tower had come down the other would have been damaged beyond usability. Then, due to damage and contamination, they would have been left with the problem of deconstructing a building more than 2X the size of Deutsche Bank. Nightmare scenario.

The Twin Towers make a (digital) appearance at the end of the recent Spielberg film, Munich. I don't think I was the only one in the theater who thought, "We need to rebuild those." As time passes it becomes even more evident the correct course of action is to do so. Better. Taller. Stronger. Safer.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    Given what happened to the nearby Deutsche Bank building, there is a good chance that even if only one tower had come down the other would have been damaged beyond usability. Then, due to damage and contamination, they would have been left with the problem of deconstructing a building more than 2X the size of Deutsche Bank. Nightmare scenario.
    I remember watching the Naudet brothers documentary on 9/11 and they were filming in the North Tower lobby. When the South Tower collapsed, the whole lobby of the North Tower turned pitch black and all dust when the fireman and cameraman had thier flashlights on. Imagine the whole dust cloud entering the North Tower and leaving its mark all over the inside of the North Tower. If it was just the South Tower that collapsed, I defintely think they'd rebuild it (if Silverstein had a brain), and restore the North Tower to its former glory.

+ if Chicago lost either the Sears Tower or the John Hancock Center the way the WTC was destroyed on 9/11, those would get rebuilt as they were. Even the Pentagon was restored as it once was pre-9/11

Too bad and no offense to any that Larry Silverstein chickened out and chose a different design for the WTC instead of rebuilding it pre 9/11.

forever at Silverstein not rebuilding the twin towers
    to him for the new 7 WTC

No one can possibly say what Chicago would have done.

Only about 10% of the Pentagon was damaged. It would have been ridiculous to tear it down.

Give Silverstein a break. He was not the final word in what form the rebuilding took.

^^ sorry, just venting from a long day yesterday

hope to see some activity finally take place on the main site for '06

interesting pic I found on the teamtwintowers.org site, but will unlikely happen

Default Here's an Idea

First off I would like to say that I am a supporter of rebuilding the towers as they were, but with many structural and fireproofing improvements. That being said, I realize that there is not much of a realistic chance of that ever happening, especially with the new Freedom Tower design. However, I was looking at the recent pictures and thought about building a second building identical to the Freedom Tower (minus the spire) adjacent to it. Please see the attached picture. These new "Twin Towers" (Freedom Tower and Liberty Tower, perhaps?) seem to be a pretty good compromise to me. What does everyone think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Freedom Tower & Liberty Tower.JPG 
Views:	7233 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	1735  

First you gotta dump the jingo-istic names. Then people MIGHT consider your proposal -- although it has been proposed previously by other posters.

You also have to reconsider the placement that you show -- as the only viable sites won't result in the configuration that you present.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast