63. You may not vote on this poll
  • TWIN TOWERS II

51 80.95%
  • The Freedom Tower

12 19.05%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: TWIN TOWERS II vs. The Freedom Tower

Smile The Tiwn Towers 2

I want to see the twin towers 2 build in new york and the freedom tower should not be build.

Default Two (Freedom) Towers; very nice fantasy.

Sure it's not practical but as much as I dislike the Freedom Tower design, I don't stress because I know it is what is going to get built. I like the idea of two and would be very happy if they could bring into being something that actually gestured to the original twin behemoths on the skyline. Each tower had nearly an acre of floor space on each floor!

If they had rebuilt the originals, I long ago advocated them to be taller though, like actually 110 floors. Perhaps 115 and the towers themselves would be soooo cool to look at. Meaner, bolder more 21st Century. They would be the home of the new UN.

Alas, we have to make do with this final design. The first two Freedom towers , with less than 70 actual floors (I think) and a huge oil derrick on top, was like cheating calling it the world's tallest.....have you seen the bold designs of skyskrapers in Asia? This final design is better althoug it is very disappointing Mr. Libeskind's winning design is not getting built.

OK, Ok! After it is built I will be happy at least something is there and take it to heart. In two or three dozen years, most of us will be used to it and look to an even taller, bolder structure in Manhattan. Then again, the era of super tall office buildings in America may be over....

Lastly, I would think there would be at least a million people willing to stick that special finger to the types who destroyed or rejoiced in the destruction of the original twin towers and live and work up so high.

One way to show faith in local homeland security would be to get at least half the building rented to private as opposed to government tenants. A year after opening day, the building ought to be at least 85% leased, and if it isn't it will be because of economic conditions and not because too many chickens frightened away otherwise sturdy prospects.

Living or working 150 floors above the streets of Manhattan; I would if I could but while such a structure impresses, it is too impractical.

Its a big country with a lot of ballsy people and "ain't" everybody scared!

FU to the terrorists and their sympathizers.

I too was and still am a proponent of rebuilding the twins. If this were the plan, we would not be with the uncertainty and wrangling that we have now. It would be : 'they are beying rebuilt, that is what they looked like, how high they were', etc. There would be no 'well, we're rebuilding them at 950 feet each'. Rebuild. End of story. But that's not the case and we entered instead the world of politics, rbber spines, etc. So we are getting something, but don't know what.

Quote Originally Posted by granite61
    ... show faith in local homeland security ...
    Blind faith in that gang of stooges ???

What the DHS has (NOT) done for us ...

NY 1

A Department of Homeland Security scorecard released Friday says New York is not fully prepared to respond to a major disaster.

The DHS’ analysis revealed 71 percent of the city's emergency plans were partially sufficient.

The report is based on the city's plans for evacuation, medical care, sheltering of victims, public alerts and other emergency priorities.

Copyright © 2006 NY1 News

is it still too late to get the twin towers (in original form, but at least 10 more stories and structurally stronger) back, or will we be stuck w/ the Freedom Tower until someone tries to knock that tower down?

IMO I'd love to see Twin FT's, minus the FT name, or move the FT on the Deutsche Bank site and bring the originals back.

Hey everyone, i'm new here. To answer that last question, no it is not too late for the twin towers. the chances of the freedom tower being built are getting slimmer by the day.

blackhawk08: ::snap:: WAKE-UP and try a little research before you jump into this frying pan ...

The title of this thread is deceptive. There is no choice between Twin Towers and the Freedom Tower. The WTC Site has been allocated, and there is only room left for one building of great height. There is only a choice between the Freedom Tower and a much smaller (probably 60-story high) replacement.

Default did anyone see this

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/14/n.../14rebuild.html
    Freedom Tower Is in Doubt, Port Authority Chief Warns

By CHARLES V. BAGLI
    Published: June 14, 2006

Although work is under way on the foundation of the Freedom Tower, a top official cast new doubt yesterday on whether the signature skyscraper's steel frame would ever rise above street level.

The 1,776-foot high tower will have to be reconsidered if state officials fail to obtain leases for one million square feet from federal agencies by September, Anthony R. Coscia, the chairman of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, told a breakfast forum sponsored by Crain's New York Business.

Mr. Coscia has made similar statements before, but this was his most explicit warning to date, with the fifth anniversary of Sept. 11 soon approaching. Also yesterday, Senator Charles E. Schumer called on the two dozen insurers at ground zero to make good on their commitments to provide a total of $4.6 billion for rebuilding at the World Trade Center site.

Larry Silverstein, the developer who leased the trade center six weeks before 9/11, warned last month that some insurers were indicating they might cite a new plan put together by state and city officials to renege on their obligations. "Business-as-usual tactics like talking tough, threatening litigation and stalling are just not acceptable when it comes to rebuilding ground zero," Mr. Schumer said in a statement. "We have a plan to move forward. What we don't have is explicit certainty from all the relevant insurance companies that they will make the payouts necessary to finance rebuilding."

Both men's comments raised new questions about the Freedom Tower, a project long promoted by Gov. George E. Pataki, who leaves office in December.

The project has been criticized by some real estate executives and civic leaders, who have called it too big, in the wrong location and unlikely to attract corporate tenants. The Democratic nominee for governor, Eliot Spitzer, has expressed concern that it could turn into "a white elephant."

Under the latest arrangement at ground zero, Mr. Silverstein would build three towers on the site, but he surrendered the most financially troublesome project, the 2.6-million-square-foot Freedom Tower. Mr. Coscia, in turn, agreed that the Port Authority would build it, but only if it were financially feasible.

To get the project on a sound footing, the Pataki administration agreed in April to contribute $250 million and to round up leases for one million square feet from federal agencies — at market rates of up to $50 a square foot — by September. Those leases would allow the authority to get a mortgage, which, combined with $970 million in insurance proceeds, would cover most of the cost of the building.

Mr. Coscia, who said he remained hopeful, did not indicate specifically what would happen if the federal leases fail to materialize by September, although the tower's opponents hope a new governor will abandon it. Mr. Coscia said that the foundation work for the tower would have to be done anyway to bring the site up to street level.

"I think there's every reason to be optimistic that the state will get the leases," Deputy Mayor Daniel L. Doctoroff said. "Coscia's just sounding the bell to remind people that we've got to get this done."

State officials also expressed confidence. "The Freedom Tower will serve as a testament to our resiliency as a people, a city and a country and will reclaim our city's skyline," said Joanna Rose, a spokeswoman for the governor.

Mr. Coscia also told the breakfast forum that the Port Authority was willing to take on construction of the 9/11 memorial as long as there is a financial plan for the project. The estimated cost of the memorial has swelled to $1 billion, but a report to Mr. Pataki due tomorrow is expected to outline a series of alternatives for a memorial that would stay within a $500 million budget.

"There should be an understanding of where all the money necessary to build the memorial is coming from and also a plan for its operating expense going forward," Mr. Coscia said. "I don't think the Port Authority should be responsible for cost overruns. I don't think we should be responsible for covering operating expenses."

Quote Originally Posted by granite61
    ...I dislike the Freedom Tower design... I like the idea of two.
    The whole post was rediculous. But this particular thought is just puzzling.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    What the DHS has (NOT) done for us ...
    A Department of Homeland Security scorecard released Friday says New York is not fully prepared to respond to a major disaster.
    The DHS’ analysis revealed 71 percent of the city's emergency plans were partially sufficient.
    The report is based on the city's plans for evacuation, medical care, sheltering of victims, public alerts and other emergency priorities.
    I regard everything DHS says with a grain of salt. They have absolutely no credibility left as far as I'm concern. None, zero, zippo, nada, zilch.
    The Department of Homeland Security. HA!

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greenie
    ...rediculous...
    Here you go again.
    You know what's amazing? I see that word spelled that way more often than the correct way.
    Last edited by antinimby; June 18th, 2006 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by greenie
    The whole post was rediculous. But this particular thought is just puzzling.
    When confronted with an exceptionally ugly baby, just say to the parents:

He should be twins.

Rediculous
    http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/toolbar/index.html

is this also going on still?

http://www.twintowersalliance.com/petition/