63. You may not vote on this poll
  • TWIN TOWERS II

51 80.95%
  • The Freedom Tower

12 19.05%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: TWIN TOWERS II vs. The Freedom Tower

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Which is why I asked about 30 Rock, which you didn't answer.
    Because it is a mutually exclusive point. The principle that putting company names on top of a tower is tasteless has nothing to do with the design of the tower but rather what the tower is being used for. Case and point: I feel the same for both Metlife & 30 Rock (RCA or GE) regarding the lettering; as far as design, they are opposite of each other IMO.

Not mutually exclusive...

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
    The mere act of using the top of a tower as some uncontextual billboard is tasteless to me.
    I feel the same for both Metlife & 30 Rock (RCA or GE)
    There's that bugaboo...uncontextual.

Remember, we weren't talking about MetLife, but the Pan Am sign.

Unlike RCA and GE wich migrated to 30 Rock, the Pan Am building was built for Pan Am. It took its shape from an airfoil; the roof was a heliport; the building represented the company when it was an American icon. It hardly needed advertising on its tower.

Three companies, more than any other, symbolized America in the late 60s. All three appear in 2001, A Space Odyssey

Probably why some of us here don't like to refer to it as MetLife.

Didnt MetLife sell it anyway?

10 Barclay = Decepticon Optimus Prime's Avatar

To a group led by Tishman Speyer, yes.

Not mutually exclusive...

There's that bugaboo...uncontextual.
    Remember, we weren't talking about MetLife, but the Pan Am sign.
    Well I guess I should have put the Pan Am sign in the mix too. Same effect whether its the Metlife or Pan Am. Still tastelessly using the top of your tower as a billboard.

Unlike RCA and GE wich migrated to 30 Rock, the Pan Am building was built for Pan Am. It took its shape from an airfoil;
    Airfoil.....eh, huh, I never knew that. But I though an airfoil is supposed to be asymmetrical with a smooth round side and a flat side?

Maybe in abstract I guess. But anyways....

the roof was a heliport; the building represented the company when it was an American icon. It hardly needed advertising on its tower.
    Right, so if your tower is a prominent representation of your company (as you suggest) why the overkill of putting your name on top of it too?? Perhaps marketing? Which then in that case it proves my point about being tasteless. Besides, it did not stop with Pan Am as this obviously was a tact that Metlife used also when they had the building.

^
    The point is that the significance of the Pan Am sign is tied to the building and its time, and might be difficult to understand if you weren't around at the time.

Not the same evocation as Met Life. Refer to the original post.

And like I said that was marketing overkill. Given the fact that using the top of towers as billboards does not bother you; taking into account the fact that the building was so tied to Pan Am, what Metlife did was pretty unscrupulous. Just like a lot of marketing schemes.

Or how about Conde Nast? Rooftop billboards for hire.

That too.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Or how about Conde Nast? Rooftop billboards for hire.
    Please find...

The mere act of using the top of a tower as some uncontextual billboard is tasteless to me. The only exception to this is the screens at top 4 TS. I know it may sound contradictory but it doesnt bother me as much. Maybe because the fact that that is the purpose of the screens and they serve as a commemoration to the the advertiment flamboyancy of times square; so IMO there is some depth as to purpose and contextualism. Also the animation give it some interest, its not some letters pasted atop of the building trying to use its height as a marketing gimmick.

I'd much rather the opposite and that is what New York Life does....use the building as part of its company logo.

The Dude Abides

I wouldn't vehemently oppose that.
    Well, good luck getting the hotels to agree to that.

What confuses me about your "tasteless advertising" argument is: how can you be against a MetLife or a GE sign at the very top of a skyscraper (which you can't see unless you're in Manhattan and within a certain number of blocks) and for the Conde Nast screens, which you can see from New Jersey? Do you really think either MetLife or GE gain new customers because people can see the company's name when they look up at the building? I doubt it.

The reality is, it's not explicitly advertising. It's pasting your company's name on a building you own. Why? I don't know, but why not? I just don't see the harm.

If you think New York is bad when it comes to these things, you should take a look at other cities' skylines. Some have around half of their tallest buildings with the names of their occupants pasted at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686 View Post
    Well, good luck getting the hotels to agree to that.
    They dont have to agree with it if its law. Besides, hotels (specially in NYC) do fine W/O em.

What confuses me about your "tasteless advertising" argument is: how can you be against a MetLife or a GE sign at the very top of a skyscraper (which you can't see unless you're in Manhattan and within a certain number of blocks) and for the Conde Nast screens, which you can see from New Jersey?
    Explained that already; look a couple of posts above. You cant understand that logic or dont like it....oh well. And yes GE and Metlife signs are very visible from areas outside Manhattan to the south. Specially in higways in the NJ (I-78) and Brooklyn (BQE) sides.

Do you really think either MetLife or GE gain new customers because people can see the company's name when they look up at the building? I doubt it. The reality is, it's not explicitly advertising. It's pasting your company's name on a building you own. Why? I don't know, but why not? I just don't see the harm.
    The same reason companies pay money to have commercial airtime, billboards next to the highway, SPAM; the more in consumers psyche you are in the most likely they will use your product when its needed.

If you think New York is bad when it comes to these things, you should take a look at other cities' skylines. Some have around half of their tallest buildings with the names of their occupants pasted at the top.
    Oh, I know and the though of NYC ever looking like that perturbs me. The NYC skyline is above that and putting company names a top of scrapers is beneath a skyline that bears so much quality.

The Dude Abides

They dont have to agree with it if its law. Besides, hotels (specially in NYC) do fine W/O em.
    Oh, really? What about all these?

Explained that already; look a couple of posts above. You cant understand that logic or dont like it....oh well. And yes GE and Metlife signs are very visible from areas outside Manhattan to the south. Specially in higways in the NJ (I-78) and Brooklyn (BQE) sides.
    You're right, I just don't understand your logic there. Doesn't make any sense. You even said: "it might sound contradictory." It does. And you've got to be kidding with the commemorative Times Square advertising nonsense.

The same reason companies pay money to have commercial airtime, billboards next to the highway, SPAM; the more in consumers psyche you are in the most likely they will use your product when its needed.
    Like I said: I think you'll be hard-pressed to find people that bought more products and services from GE and MetLife because they saw the sign on top of their building. Not AT ALL the same as billboards and commercials.

^ How new or old is the mansard on W Union Square?

What is the building beside the W Union Square with the huge fire escape? Is it still there?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast