63. You may not vote on this poll
  • TWIN TOWERS II

51 80.95%
  • The Freedom Tower

12 19.05%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: TWIN TOWERS II vs. The Freedom Tower

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    ^ How new or old is the mansard on W Union Square?
    I'm pretty sure it's been there since the beginning (1910-11). The building started out as the headquarters of Germania Life Insurance Company, which changed its name to "Guardian Life Insurance Company" in a burst of patriotic fervor during World War One (in 1918). The building was topped by a huge, illuminated "Guardian Life" sign until the insurance company moved further downtown (around 1998) and the trendy hotel took over its building and sign. The building was designated a NYC landmark in 1988.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686 View Post
    Oh, really? What about all these?

All Tacky (BTW Hyatt does not count cuz its on the bottom not at the top)

You're right, I just don't understand your logic there. Doesn't make any sense. You even said: "it might sound contradictory." It does. And you've got to be kidding with the commemorative Times Square advertising nonsense.
    I never said it was a contradiction. I stated my reason in an "if you think about it" tone, which is something you dont do much of when you disagree with people. As far as agreeing on a reason....I am willing to accept the fact that you would be tasteless enought to put a sign atop of a building. Its ok, not everyone is the same. Perhaps you should accept the fact that it is something that I do not prefer.

Like I said: I think you'll be hard-pressed to find people that bought more products and services from GE and MetLife because they saw the sign on top of their building. Not AT ALL the same as billboards and commercials.
    Yeah cuz you know it all.....

Banned Member

The Mansard roof is part of the original Guardian Life Building built in 1911, which was converted to the W. The building next to it is the back of a building on East 18th (I think.)

The Freedom Tower.

The Twins are too outdated and unsafe, techwise. Plus, some of the families don't want them to be rebuilt. Too many painful memories of 09-11.
    Last edited by Daquan13; June 3rd, 2008 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
    The Freedom Tower.

The twins are too outdated and unsafe, techwise. Plus, some of the families don't want them to be rebuilt. Too many painful memories of 09-11.
    I totally agree with the technical aspects, plus the Freedom Tower is a modern version of the twins but in addition will have all those up-to-date features. I really do like the glass facade the Freedom Tower will have also. Overall, I'm glad that for the most part it will be what it will. After the Freedom Tower was redesigned to its current design 3 years ago, I was very grateful and thought that the skyline will look that much familiar again.

Quote Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
    I totally agree with the technical aspects, plus the Freedom Tower is a modern version of the twins but in addition will have all those up-to-date features. I really do like the glass facade the Freedom Tower will have also. Overall, I'm glad that for the most part it will be what it will. After the Freedom Tower was redesigned to its current design 3 years ago, I was very grateful and thought that the skyline will look that much familiar again.

Yes, I also became pleased with the present design. It certainly puts the three other designs before it to shame!!

Those other designs were an embarrassment for Ground Zero! I'm so glad now that the NYPD had stepped in and said that the previous design is not safe, was terrorist-prone and unbuildable! It was also ugly wiith a birdcrap gage on top. A disgusting pile of junk!!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789