View Poll Results: Hotel Pennsylvania should be replaced with the proposed office building

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

76 44.97%
  • No

93 55.03%
Page 11 of 131 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Hotel Pennsylvania - by McKim Mead & White - to be replaced by 15 Penn Plaza

In that case ^^^ a big F'ing super tower should rise mid-block between 6th / 7th -- and not right at the very edge of Herald Square -- give the square some room to breath.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686 View Post
    Tear it down. It's not worth saving for the reasons being given.

There's an opportunity here to remake this long-inferior district anew. Let's take full advantage of it.
    They already tried it with MSG and 1 and 2 Penn Plaza, right across the street. Look at the result.

The one redeeming quality of Vornado Tower would be that it would add to the local cluster and make 1 Penn Plaza look slightly less awkward and out of place.

Everything bad in that aerial photograph is new, i.e. built after the demise of Penn Station.

Most of the older stuff looks pretty good and is harmonious as the area around Grand Central was until Trump ruined it by recladding his hotel in glass.

We have enough glassy districts in this city; only the Time Warner Center makes a really good case for itself, and that's because of the newfound strength of its setting: the curve and the fountain.

The Dude Abides

Now a Trump-style recladding of Hotel Penn, I'd certainly not be in favor of. But, I'll repeat myself again: the reasons being given for saving it (look at how bad the "recent" stuff is) are not, IMO, strong enough, or even applicable.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686 View Post
    Now a Trump-style recladding of Hotel Penn, I'd certainly not be in favor of. But, I'll repeat myself again: the reasons being given for saving it (look at how bad the "recent" stuff is) are not, IMO, strong enough, or even applicable.
    If there is a choice between recladding the hotel vs demolishing and building a new tower, I'd definitely go for the latter. The hotel's only redeeming quality is the exterior. If that is gone, then there will be no more reason for the building to remain around whatsoever.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Someone mentioned this before but why can't they build on the low-rise underutilized site just (north of) across 33 St. from the Hotel?

If I'm not mistaken, Vornado owns that site as well and they could just as easily transfer all those air rights to here.

Don't make no damn sense.

I guess that H&M is making a lot of money. They could use this site to replace some of the rooms from the Pennsylvania.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	435 Seventh Avenue 1.jpg 
Views:	1275 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	3361   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	435 Seventh Avenue 4  Structure Tone.gif 
Views:	347 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	3362   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	435 Seventh Avenue 7  BBGo.JPG 
Views:	319 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	3363  
    Last edited by Derek2k3; January 14th, 2007 at 02:38 AM.

^ A short little pip-squeak of a tower on a very prominent corner. What a waste.

Transfer Hotel Penn's air rights over there and build higher.

Btw, no way in the world rents from H&M is more than revenue generated from Hotel Penn, no way.

Space: 185,000 square foot
    Floors: 20
    Architect: Brennan Beer Gorman/Architects

Well, that rendering is atleast 5 years old now. I bet a larger tower could be built if they bought some air rights.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I'm pretty sure H&M is too far from Penn to do a transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    I'm pretty sure H&M is too far from Penn to do a transfer.
    Yea, I meant those small buildings on H&M's block. Real Deal says a 2.4 million sf tower is slated for the site.
    Last edited by Derek2k3; January 14th, 2007 at 12:54 PM.

The preservationist are mobilizing...
    http://www.2600.com/news/view/article/4947

HOTEL PENN THREATENED WITH DEMOLITION - HOPE CONFERENCES IN JEOPARDY

Posted 17 Jan 2007

We received this disturbing news earlier in the month. Apparently the realty company that owns the Hotel Pennsylvania, site of our HOPE conferences, wants to tear down the historic hotel and replace it with a huge financial tower. Such a move could spell the end of HOPE.

The Hotel Pennsylvania was built in 1919 and has a very rich history. It has been home to many a "big band" concert in its early years and was the inspiration for the famous Glenn Miller song "PEnnsylvania 6-5000," a phone number that still rings at the Hotel Pennsylvania switchboard. The building itself, as any HOPE attendee knows, is filled with hidden corridors, rooms, and even floors. Being right across the street from Penn Station (New York's main train station), it's extremely easy to get to for those coming to New York for the first time. And because it's not an overly expensive place to stay, it's proven very popular for travelers from all over the world.

We've hosted five HOPE conferences at the Hotel Pennsylvania since 1994 and the next one is set for 2008. In preparation for this, and to discuss the fate of the hotel among other things, we are today launching a web-based forum for all things HOPE-related. You can reach this brand new forum at talk.hope.net.

If you've been involved in any of the HOPE conferences, we'd like to see you become active in the HOPE Forums so you can help make future conferences even better. We also have a bunch of sections for those of you who would like to reminisce about previous conferences. If there's anything that the current threat to the hotel has taught us, it's that history should be preserved. We think HOPE has provided quite a lot of history along with a whole host of good memories. With luck and organization, we will be able to generate a lot more of this in the future. Your participation is vital in ensuring this.

As for saving the hotel, it's something we would very much like to do. But that will involve a huge challenge, not just for us, but for the thousands of other people around the world who want to see it preserved, maintained, and open for future generations. We just might have a shot. In any event, we hope you register for the forum and get involved in the discussion.

Save the hotel link for those interested:
    http://talk.hope.net/viewforum.php?id=17

Btw, no way in the world rents from H&M is more than revenue generated from Hotel Penn, no way.
    Revenues perhaps but what kind of profits are they making from the hotel? Its an old building that is expensive to maintain I would imagine. Cheaper and more profitable to tear it down and build new than to maintain a down market hotel like this.

Why should it matter what kind of profit it makes?

Profit is profit and you want the one with the most, which in this case is the hotel (as compared to H&M).

Architectural Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
    The preservationist are mobilizing...
    http://www.2600.com/news/view/article/4947
    I'm not sure how to respond here... I'm all for 2600, used to read the print version back in the day (will never forget the first issue I saw on how to crack ATM's with a fake card). They've been a vocal group in the tech sector in the past, and have had some success in their endeavours, but I highly doubt that any NYC agency/company is going to listen to a bunch of hackers when it comes to real estate.