View Poll Results: Hotel Pennsylvania should be replaced with the proposed office building

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

76 44.97%
  • No

93 55.03%
Page 18 of 131 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Hotel Pennsylvania - by McKim Mead & White - to be replaced by 15 Penn Plaza

chicago

Probably the most offensive Mcd's ever.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    However, it's unclear if banks will want to go there before that junk is redeveloped.
    Many this project will spur redevelopment, there isnt much of a reason for redevelopment until these big projects get going.

^Well remember that the area around it is like Chicago's version of Las Vegas.

There were actually a few really good designs for that building, but McDonald's went with their own in house designers in the end, and you can see the results above.

Looks like project architect was none other than ronald himself!

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny View Post
    Looks like project architect was none other than ronald himself!
    Possibly. The interior is surprisingly nice though, with expensive furniture and huge windows looking out towards the skyline.

Unfortunately the winning design in the competition wasn't built.

That was supposed to be a mcdonalds?! They could afford to have decent buildings, are there actually any well designed modern Mcd?

Yes I agree, digging up that old design is a cheap gimmick.

My town will not allow Mc Donalds in the center, but they do have a very nice new simple building out on a highway.

Going back to the subject at hand: even fast food joints and cheap shops can have nice store fronts if forced to by law.

That area of 34th is a visual mess... almost a reminder of funky 1970's NYC style.... but it doesn't have to be that way. It depends on community standards. The base of the Hotel Penn was designed to look classy and proper... not junky.

BTW: it WOULD be great though if the new project on that site were to include a hotel facing the street .... and why not call it the Hotel Pennsylvania.

---
    Last edited by Fabrizio; April 19th, 2007 at 07:14 PM.

Received these renderings from a source that shall remain anonymous unti I'm told otherwise. Not sure how old they are, or if they're connected to current plans. But one thing is certain: the days of MSG and the Hotel Pennsylvania are numbered.

I sincerely hope that stubby little piece of crap is not what we'll up with.

And right in the middle of it all remains the horrid and ugly stump of Two Penn Plaza (along Seventh Avenue)

Thumbs down MSG towers....

I don't believe these are the current TWO buildings for the MSG site. It has been leaked most recently (within the last few days) that tower 1 is 1360' and tower 2 is 1200' (roof height) with crowns and spires. The two twin towers pictured in this rendering are the same height and appear only 900' compared to the ESB nearby. However, the other tower replacing Hotel Penn is only 750-800' and is "stubby" for 2.5mil sq. feet.

I hope to GOD these renderings are NOT the final. They also look very SOM-NYC (boring, stodgy, same 'ol Childs POS limited boxes). The leaked 1360' and 1200' towers over MSG are supposed to be designed by Foster and the rendering here DEFINITELY does NOT look like Foster designs. So... there's definitely hope we'll get something much grander... much better than this CRAP!

The one building w/a spire on the corner next to the MSG "twins" also looks like a Childs design... blah! I give the whole rendering a big

Considering the way the previous renders were taken down id say the short ones are old. The newer renderings we lost are tall.

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny View Post
    Considering the way the previous renders were taken down id say the short ones are old. The newer renderings we lost are tall.
    It's and old rendering, and 2 Penn will be demolished. But it's another look into the coming madness that will be the massive 33rd Stret redevelopments...

I do hope foster designs these buildings, I love his work. The renderings as is are nothing special, but I think they are a step above the 1970's commi boxes that NYC is having such a hard time breaking the habit of. 2 Penn Plaza is a disgrace, and I truley hope it comes down. The hotel Penn is a neglected piece of famous NY history, and probably one of the top 3 historically significant buildings in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Scraperfannyc View Post
    I do hope foster designs these buildings, I love his work. The renderings as is are nothing special, but I think they are a step above the 1970's commi boxes that NYC is having such a hard time breaking the habit of. 2 Penn Plaza is a disgrace, and I truley hope it comes down. The hotel Penn is a neglected piece of famous NY history, and probably one of the top 3 historically significant buildings in that area.
    The area between 28th-38th streets and between 9th and 6th avenues has so much potential for a really inspired designs. There is so much wasted space, like the 1-2 level shacks that are occupied by Mc'Donalds, Berger Kings etc. that are just unbelievable in the middle of Manhattan.

Also I sincerely hope the Penn Plaza complex and MSG are demolished soon, that will be truly a step forward for the whole city as this hated part of town is transformed into something worthwhile.