View Poll Results: Hotel Pennsylvania should be replaced with the proposed office building

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

76 44.97%
  • No

93 55.03%
Page 2 of 131 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Hotel Pennsylvania - by McKim Mead & White - to be replaced by 15 Penn Plaza

Forum Veteran

Good point, still no word if this is a current project or something they designed awhile back, Nothing on Vornado's website either

Forum Veteran

Ok, I'm gonna change my first post, I suppose five floors of podium plus fifty-five of apartments makes sixty...

Quote Originally Posted by Law & Order
    How is that on 34th street if the Empire State Building is on the left?
    Hes right sometimes renderings use artistic license in order to familiarize people with the neighborhood or improve the surroundings for the buildings architecture.

Forum Veteran

Its on Seventh, it wil be bult above the H&M, if your in that area you can take a look and see it

I don't know if it is related, but the foundation for a large structure is being excavated between 31st ST and 32nd ST just east of 7th Ave.

Forum Veteran

different building

Hes right sometimes renderings use artistic license in order to familiarize people with the neighborhood or improve the surroundings for the buildings architecture.
    Yeah right. This is the Pennsylvania Hotel site. Observe the the notched corner of the H&M in the model:

That's the other massive old hotel in the rendering. What was it called, the Statler?

hmm..Doesn't the building next to the Hotel Penn rise taller, in a series of setbacks and I don't remember it having a series of flags like that. But in the model the tower is def.on the Hotel Penn site, you can even see the Manhattan Mall behind it.

Also,a 2.3 msf tower could rise where Hotel Penn sits,seems kinda foolish to demolish the hotel and build a res tower half that size.

yeah what is wrong with the hotel there. can they just fixed it up and still built the tower behind it or something?

I kind of like the building... but to be replece with that half ass shops building or whatever it is... I dont like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3
    hmm..Doesn't the building next to the Hotel Penn rise taller, in a series of setbacks and I don't remember it having a series of flags like that. But in the model the tower is def.on the Hotel Penn site, you can even see the Manhattan Mall behind it.

Also,a 2.3 msf tower could rise where Hotel Penn sits,seems kinda foolish to demolish the hotel and build a res tower half that size.
    Its fishy, this building is severely under zoned, a million square feet, for its site.

Forum Veteran

Its funny how for the longest time Vornado was against getting into the residential market now they have 731, soon to be this and they bought another property on 65 th and Madison today, its about time they got in. Mark my words they will be a Fortune 500 firm one day

Did they buy a nice property at 65th and Mad. or a lousy one that will be redeveloped?

Forum Veteran

this is all i saw from crainsny.com

Vornado to buy Madison Ave. building for $158 million
    Vornado Realty Trust agreed to buy a residential and retail building, located at 759 Madison Ave., for about $158 million.

The 94,100-square-foot building, which is situated between 65th and 66th streets, contains 37 rental apartments and 9,100 square feet of retail space. The retail space, which rents for about $550 a square foot, is fully occupied by Basso, Gaultier and Krizia stores.

Vornado, a real estate investment trust based in Manhattan, has seen profits jump thanks to the strong market. The REIT, which has some 14.3 million square feet of office space in the New York City area, acquired almost $329 million worth of real estate in 2004. In March, Vornado acquired the retail space of the former Westbury Hotel, which houses luxury retailers including Cartier, Chlo and Gucci, for $113 million.

I'm confused about this project;
    Were there two proposals for the same site? Which one's getting built?