View Poll Results: Hotel Pennsylvania should be replaced with the proposed office building

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

76 44.97%
  • No

93 55.03%
Page 51 of 131 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast

Thread: Hotel Pennsylvania - by McKim Mead & White - to be replaced by 15 Penn Plaza

Random Personality

Quote Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
    I'm already sick of people moaning about not razing the hotel; if you must, take a picture or two and say goodbye.
    With better sites to develop than this one (less demolition [see 34th and 7th or across the street]) there is no need to tear this one down.

Your enthusiasm for new buildings (especially really tall ones) is so blinding that I bet you would be willing to tear down the ESB if iit was a glass box and rose 1500 feet. It's pretty disgusting.

Banned Member

It seems the poll numbers are tightening up considerably.

This area of Manhattan is being re-thought from the River to Seventh Avenue. Vornado has a lot of properties and proposals in play. Many depend on air rights. If the area does see an expansion of commercial space, this hotel could re-positioned as a 5-star hotel. Vornado could also have executed the concepts purely for sales/marketing purposes.

Penn Station is up in the air re: redevelopment. I can't see how Vornado would move on this property first, before having resolution or at least signals of direction on the other developments.

Quote Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
    With better sites to develop than this one (less demolition [see 34th and 7th or across the street]) there is no need to tear this one down.

Your enthusiasm for new buildings (especially really tall ones) is so blinding that I bet you would be willing to tear down the ESB if iit was a glass box and rose 1500 feet. It's pretty disgusting.

Never in a billion years, and you're obviously trying to smear me and exaggerating everything. Frankly, I don't care if there are other open sites; this one had to be picked for a reason and I don't think that it would be fair to take it away. Financial giant HQ or hotel that a tourist wouldn't even bother to take a picture of? With the loss of Hotel Penn, NY will completely and forever lose its identity and will instantaneously become that city in the Matrix which no one knew the name of because it was fake; also, the Chrysler, ESB, and the thousands of other buildings built before the year 1970 will suddenly jump up out of their foundations all at the same time and be teleported and replanted in an abandoned area in New Jersey where all colors except black and white are banned, and nothing but tall glass boxes will pop up out of the ground to replace them.

Mouth agape.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Wink

Well, he does have a vivid imagination...

Quote Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
    With the loss of Hotel Penn, NY will completely and forever lose its identity and will instantaneously become that city in the Matrix which no one knew the name of because it was fake;
    You could put the Hotel Penn in a lineup of postcards, and no one would even know or care what it was. Who are we kidding here?

New York will always be New York, and recognizable as such because the city has its own vibe and energy. Its a combination of many things that make New York, New York, and its not just tired, old buildings. Most New Yorkers don't even know the Hotel Penn exists, and won't mourn its passing. It's only those who somehow feel we are tearing down Penn Station all over again, and feel that this is somehow another injustice in the same league. It isn't now, nor will it ever be.

Quote Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
    You could put the Hotel Penn in a lineup of postcards, and no one would even know or care what it was. Who are we kidding here?
    Sounds like you're kidding yourself.

Not many cared about Penn Station either.

Default I can't say I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
    Most New Yorkers don't even know the Hotel Penn exists,
    I have a feeling it would depend on how long they've lived here, and if they spend much time on the west side.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    I have a feeling it would depend on how long they've lived here, and if they spend much time on the west side.
    plenty of new yorkers don't spend much time in manhattan, let alone the west side.

which leads to the question, who should get a say in these issues. new yorkers, manhattanites, west siders, . . . ?

Question If they don't spend time in Manhattan

why would they care?

because manhattan's economy determines the fate of the outlying areas. so if tearing penn down is bad for business they should be against it. and if building an office building in it's place would help transform the area into a new business district, they should be for it.

of course there are many other reasons why they might care.
    Last edited by stache; November 24th, 2007 at 06:29 PM. Reason: I only removed my direct preceding quote, honest!

It' ALWAYS only a small band of people who care about architecture or beauty in general. That should not be surprising ...or really even of any importance.

But after the fact, ask the general public if they're thankful for the landmarking of individual buildings and whole neighborhoods.

I'm sure the answer will be yes.

For me the importance here is not so much the Penn as an individual building, but the old-style Gotham street wall, the line-up of old brick buildings that happens here.

It should also be remembered that landmarking and preservation has spurred growth and development in plenty of neighborhoods in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by econ_tim View Post
    which leads to the question, who should get a say in these issues. new yorkers, manhattanites, west siders, . . . ?
    Citizens of the world.

(The caretakers of our common culture.)

Banned Member

Looks like this is going forward. More later.

With Merrill as a tenant?

Do you have height information?