View Poll Results: Hotel Pennsylvania should be replaced with the proposed office building

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

76 44.97%
  • No

93 55.03%
Page 6 of 131 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Hotel Pennsylvania - by McKim Mead & White - to be replaced by 15 Penn Plaza

Forum Veteran

They ( Vornado) would not move ahead with a 2.5-3 million sf tower with a lease to the NBA for 200,000 sf. They along with Tower 2 are the finalist in NYC for Merrill's new HQ.

AS for that rendering, that is from 34th and 7th, another Vornado owned site that instead of a office tower they built a 2-story retail shop

Random Personality

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6 View Post
    They ( Vornado) would not move ahead with a 2.5-3 million sf tower with a lease to the NBA for 200,000 sf. They along with Tower 2 are the finalist in NYC for Merrill's new HQ.

AS for that rendering, that is from 34th and 7th, another Vornado owned site that instead of a office tower they built a 2-story retail shop
    Dumbest idea ever in my opinion. They really should have built something a lot taller. Kind of reminds me of the Toys R Us building in TS. That should have been taller too.

Banned Member

The two story-building has the foundations and support to move forward with the rest of the design at anytime. It was truncated immediately after 9/11. At that time, it made sense. Again, another example of Steve Roth's conservative and pragmatic business sense.

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6 View Post
    with the demolision and coordination of the underneath rail tracks and subways, they wont get this done by 2011, that I can gurantee. There selection of CM's thru the years ( plaza, HRH) also makes me know theywont finish by 2011
    Perhaps, perhaps not. I think it's more of a point to just be competitive with the target dates of the WTC towers. Just so long as they get it built.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    NY Guy posted this rendering on another site:

Does anyone know if this is it? (I hope not.) It would be lame to lose the Hotel Penn in return for a 750 foot box.
    I didn't post it. That's the same rendering first posted here, and older version at 1.3 msf. But it is in fact the hotel site.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686 View Post
    Finally: Merrill Lynch's lease at the WFC is up by 2011. There are a bunch of articles in the World Trade Center threads (Freedom Tower, etc.) that discuss the possibility of them singlehandedly filling up one of the new towers (Tower 3 seems most likely). As for the Vornado office tower, the article I posted a link to speculates that the NBA would be the anchor tenant there. Not sure how credible that sounds now that 5 trading floors have been added to the plan.
    The NBA could also be looking at the Brookfield site on 9th Avenue again. That way, when the new MSG gets built, they can rush down and hand out fines to the Knicks immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by NYatKNIGHT View Post
    Vengineer, you tease. Spill it!
    No no, nothing to spill. It wasn't even relevant to this thread. It was just a very minor correction which wouldn't have meant anything.

If I may add my input on this prospect... this really does look exciting. 2.5 million sqft is a tremendous amount of space even considering the size of the lot. My guess is that it'll be a tower-on-podium style tower like BoA and Tower 2 which means it won't utilize the full lot for its girth... which in turn means height height and more height. Vengineer predicts this tower will break 1250ft to roof... called on 3PM Friday, Jan 5, 2007. (Not based on any insider information, purely on speculative intuition.)
    Last edited by Vengineer; January 5th, 2007 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post

Kind of reminds me of the Toys R Us building in TS. That should have been taller too.
    Toys-R-Us in TS was a build-out of an existing building, the great old Bond Building ...

http://www.lileks.com/NYC/timessquare/tscrowd.jpg

Random Personality

Oh. That would explain why i never saw a hole for a foundation on that block.

Banned Member

I'm dating myself, but I saw The Clash play there back in 1982(?).

When they did something like 14 shows in a week?

Quote Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, but only on 33rd Street (extending to the MSG and Brookfield sites). It would almost be like a standoff between Downtown's tallest (the WTC) and Midtown's because there's not many tall buildings between the groups.

This is really exciting for the area. Between The Javits, the yards development, the Moynihan/MSG/large towers project and this...Boy, I can't wait to see the end result. Well, at least the immediate one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vengineer View Post
    Vengineer predicts this tower will break 1250ft to roof... called on 3PM Friday, Jan 5, 2007. (Not based on any insider information, purely on speculative intuition.)
    Wow, that's pushing it past my conservative estimate of 900-1,200 ft. Very exciting prospects we have...

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Toys-R-Us in TS was a build-out of an existing building, the great old Bond Building ...

I remember reading something from the owners at the time that retail was more profitable for that site, along with advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by Vengineer View Post
    ... this really does look exciting. 2.5 million sqft is a tremendous amount of space...
    Does anyone know how many sf the B of A and NY Times towers have?

Page 6 of 131 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast