Thread: Home architecture in Staten Island

Forum Veteran

Default Home architecture in Staten Island

Just found Shenker Architects..

Richmond Valley, 2001

Arbutus Lake, 2003

www.shenker.us

Forum Veteran

I forgot to mention that this is for single family or small multifamily architecture in Staten Island. We never get anything from Staten Island. So... contribute, por favor.

cool. If more of this stuff is built I might actually visit the place one day.

AWESOME IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A LOCAL COMPANY THAT DESIGNS THIS STYLE
    IM GONNA CONTACT HIM

HERES SOME I FOUND

www.s2designerhomes.com

www.asis-leif.com

This one is a bit much (from here: http://www.asis-leif.com/ )

Nice set on Flickr by how long it takes of some Staten Island landmarks.

Walcot House

John DeGroot House

22 Pendleton Place

Boardman House

De Hart House

Charles Kreischer Mansion

H. H. Richardson House

Garibaldi-Meucci Museum

Gustav A. Mayer House

Other Landmarks

Seaview Hospital

Borough Hall

PS 15

Saint Paul's Memorial Church

Northfield Township, District School 6

Bayonne Bridge

Tottenville Branch

Westfield Township District School No. 5

Staten Island Savings Bank

Borough Hall

Staten Island Depot Office Building

105 Franklin Ave

Saint Peters Church

Saint Alban's Episcopal Church

This looks surreal.

Last edited by Derek2k3; January 18th, 2010 at 09:47 PM.

^ Awesome pics! Sad to see those buildings that obviously need some TLC.

Spirits Moving on S.I.

By HILKE SCHELLMANN

The bucolic setting belies this landmark building's turbulent past-for decades, rumors have circulated that spirits live in the home, which is on the market for $1.3 million. Several years ago a former caretaker was convicted of a murder on the site.

A Victorian mansion painted in orange and military-green sits on a knoll on Staten Island, surrounded by trees and overlooking the Arthur Kill. But the bucolic setting belies the landmark building's turbulent past, which includes long-circulated rumors that spirits live in the home.

"The house is haunted. Everybody says that," said Jeanne Green, 26 years old, who moved to Staten Island from Florida in January and works in a local bakery in nearby Charleston.

View Slideshow

The mansion, which is on the market for $1.3 million, was built around 1885 by Balthasar Kreischer, a German immigrant who had started a successful brick-making business, first in Manhattan and later on Staten Island. According to Linda Hauck, director of the Tottenville Historical Society, the patriarch built two similar buildings for his sons, Charles and Edward, on the hill overlooking his plant on the Arthur Kill, the strait that separates Staten Island from New Jersey. Now, only Charles's residence remains.

Ms. Hauck described the family's fortune—and fame—as huge for the time. The town at the foot of the mansions was even called Kreischerville, after the brick magnate. It is believed to have been renamed Charleston around World War I on account of anti-German sentiment, according to Patricia Salmon, a historian at the Staten Island Museum.

A combination of fires and the deaths of Balthasar and Edward, who died under mysterious circumstances and was found near the brick factory, devastated the family, and it eventually sold the business.

"Rumors of infidelity, mismanagement, financial troubles, and even murder and ghosts linger after all these years," said Ms. Hauck. "Nobody fully understands that such a prominent family just vanished off the map."

Kevin Hagen for The Wall Street Journal The service staircase

But the tales connected with the house didn't deter Isaac Yomtovian, an engineer and developer based in Cleveland, from buying the mansion and surrounding acres for $1.4 million in 2000. He learned about the property from his mother-in-law, who lived on Staten Island at the time.

It was Kreischer's immigrant success story that first attracted Mr. Yomtovian to the mansion. "When I think about myself, it's a very similar situation," he said, referring to his own immigration from Iran to the U.S. via Israel.

So Mr. Yomtovian decided to try to bring the mansion back to its former glory. It was no small task, as he said the roof was falling in, the paint was peeling, the foundation was damaged and a porch wrapping partly around the building was "destroyed."

He estimated it cost almost $1 million over the course of about two years to restore the building, which measures about 3,300 square feet.

But after the restoration, events at the house took another dark turn. Joseph "Joe Black" Young, a caretaker for the mansion who was associated with an organized-crime family, was charged with killing a man on the premises in 2005 and later convicted, according to court documents.

Kevin Hagen for The Wall Street Journal Carved fireplace

"When I think about it, it becomes part of the history again of this site," said Mr. Yomtovian. "Not that I'm proud of it, but it is something that happened here.…I think it enriches the house rather than damaging it."

Another blow came in the summer of 2007 when financing for an active-adult community, which Mr. Yomtovian had imagined for the site, fell through, according to the developer.

Mr. Yomtovian listed the house for sale in 2011 for $3 million and recently dropped the price for the mansion to $1.3 million. The adjacent 3.58 acres are on the market for $8.5 million. Michael Schneider, a broker with Massey Knakal, is the listing agent for both properties.

There is one more dream that Mr. Yomtovian says he has related to the property: making a film recounting the mansion's turbulent past. He has written a treatment of what he described as "a very meaningful film" that he predicted would have viewers sitting at the edge of their chairs.

Meanwhile, the Kreischer mansion has had a chance to provide the backdrop for another drama, although not a real-life one. Parts of the pilot of HBO's "Boardwalk Empire" series were filmed on the property in 2009.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...NewsCollection

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

Seems like a prime opportunity for the Ghost Adventurers Crew.

'Wandering New York' photographer documents Staten Island

By Vincent Barone

Joseph Raskin once waited 17 years to take the perfect photo of a Brooklyn subway platform.

"I watched the station get erected. And that picture was stuck in the back of my head ever since," he said. "I passed by it plenty of times but the lighting was never right."

A few months ago, the shadows of the building finally angled up against it just right. He reached for his camera (which he has with him at all times) and a photo imagined in 1997 was manifested in 2014. Such is the life of urban photographer Joseph Raskin.

He's the man behind the lens of Tumblr blog "Wandering New York," a photo project dedicated to documenting and obsessing over the prosaic architecture of New York City, spanning all five boroughs. Its ode to design minutiae that most residents are too hurried to notice during their commutes.

A house in Randall Manor Joseph Raskin | Wandering New York

The site serves as a vast compendium of apartment complexes, single, or two-family homes, unusual brickwork and geometric symmetry that has been photographed in a very matter-of-fact, straightforward way. Within two years of the blog's existence, Raskin has posted around 10,000 photos and has collected more than 4,000 followers.

Raskin, 62, was born in Brooklyn and works for the MTA in government relations. He's been studying photography as an amateur for as long as he can remember. He took after his father, who loved snapping family photos. Raskin's vision for "Wandering New York" began taking shape with his fascination with trains over 20 years ago.

"All of the sudden trying to get still life shots on the subway started to appeal to me," he said. "But I didn't want the people to be the focus of my photos. So I used long exposures to completely blur moving people out. I rested my camera on garbage cans, pillars, benches, railings and kept the lens open for about 10 or 15 seconds."

After Raskin had children, he started shifting his focus to architectural shots. He'd take his kids to the park and shoot the buildings circling the playgrounds. Photographing architecture slowly became Raskin's weekend hobby. Every Saturday or Sunday, weather permitting, he'll walk about six miles through one of the five boroughs, notching around 100 pictures per outing.

Five years ago, at the behest of his family, he started posting his photos to his personal Facebook page, which brought his work the limited visibility of his friends online.

"My sister and my niece were after me," he said. "'You gotta post these. You gotta post these! Start a weblog.'"

Raskin, admittedly not the most tech-savvy individual, was hesitant to move his work to the web. "I don't grasp a lot of this, still," he said.

Eventually he started his Tumblr blog. A year ago, while away on vacation, Raskin received an email from Tumblr notifying him that the site would be featuring one of his photos on the home page. Raskin was humbled by the overwhelmingly positive response from the online community.

"From there it took off. All of a sudden more than 3,000 people liked my photo and all sorts of people started following me," he said. "I'm astounded by the response. It was completely shocking to me."

Raskin's "Wandering New York" is an intriguingly enigmatic blog. Besides the title, there are just photos and captions of neighborhoods--that's it. No bio, no picture, no name. Nothing.

A house in New Dorp Joseph Raskin | Wandering New York

"People think I'm of a different age or ethnicity," he said. "The anonymity is not deliberate. If at some point I could figure out how to put my picture on it, I would. But I do to some extent find [the anonymity] appealing."

I recently walked with the artist for two miles through Randall Manor and New Brighton as he worked. Raskin was wearing an old New York Mets hat and a black windbreaker. He shot with a Pentax X-5 digital camera.

Raskin peaked down street corners, surveying the houses of residential blocks. He aims to get from point A to point B, but how he does so is improvised. When he saw something he liked, he stopped, snapped and continued walking. A photo was realized, framed and taken within a matter of seconds.

"If I have to think too much about a photo, I won't take it," Raskin said. "I want the photo to look as true to real life as possible."

He took a photo of a two-story home on Davis Avenue with striped green awnings hanging over each window. He took a picture of a house in Castleton Corners with a great front porch. He took a photo of three homes in New Brighton because he enjoyed the symmetry of houses as they looked out left.

"Most of the time I enjoy more generic buildings that you see all over the place," Raskin said. He presents his buildings in such simple ways, they serve as a sort of architectural Rorschach test. "People read a photo in so many different ways. They'll take note of different things in one picture."

Raskin nodded to urban photographer Berenice Abbott and painter Edward Hopper as some of his biggest influences. You can see the documentary mission of Abbott and the austere, Hopperesque subject matter in his work.

"The photographers and painters who've influenced me have been about portraying realism," he said. "They took a picture, developed it and printed it. Berenice Abbott was, in my mind, the greatest urban photographer ever."

Raskin gushed over Hopper's "Early Summer Morning," which he remembers seeing on old phone books in the city thirty years ago.

"He did so many great things around the city and elsewhere," Raskin said. "He grew up in Nyack. You can go around and see all the houses he painted there. It's an amazing thing.
    "You look at Abbott's photos and in some cases you see buildings that are still around," he said. "But you see them in completely different contexts."

Raskin is also an independent scholar. He's published a book on the history of planned subway lines that never came to fruition called "The Routes Not Taken: A Trip Through New York City's Unbuilt Subway System."

His first encounter with Staten Island was in 1963, when he took the ferry from Brooklyn over to the fifth borough for a day trip as a boy scout.

"Just discovering the whole borough was quite a thing to me," he said. "I've been finding out more about the Island in general over the years. I enjoy [researching]. It's like seeing things without being a tourist."

On the contrary, Raskin's photography could be described as seeing New York exclusively as a tourist. Everything is fresh. Everything is interesting. The deli on the corner is worthy of a photo. And the unassuming ranch on a hill will garner a snap too.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf...th_photog.html