Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Politics of Racism

Default The Politics of Racism

Greetings!

As an American-born Asian, I've noticed many double standards with regards to racism: certain behaviors that are considered racist when done by one group is considered morally okey, even desirable, when done by another:

What is Racism?

Everyone talks about "racism" but no one ever defines it. AR's assistant editor has given it a try.

By Thomas Jackson

There is surely no nation in the world that holds "racism" in greater horror than does the United States. Compared to other kinds of offenses, it is thought to be somehow more reprehensible. The press and public have become so used to tales of murder, rape, robbery, and arson, that any but the most spectacular crimes are shrugged off as part of the inevitable texture of American life. "Racism" is never shrugged off.

For example, when a white Georgetown Law School student reports that black students are less well qualified than white students, it sets off a booming, national controversy about "racism." If the student had merely murdered someone he would have attracted far less attention and criticism.

Racism is, indeed, the national obsession. Universities are on full alert for it, newspapers and politicians denounce it, churches preach against it, America is said to be racked with it, but just what is racism?

Dictionaries are not much help in understanding what is meant by the word. They usually define it as the belief that one's own ethnic stock is superior to others, or as the belief that culture and behavior are rooted in race. When Americans speak of racism they mean a great deal more than this.

[ . . . ]

Complete article is at http://www.amren.com/917issue/9107issue.html#cover

Regards.

Well i guess us white folk are just too daggum generous with our cultural identity i reckon...

That article just seems like it was written by an overly sensitive white person offended by an unoriginal black stand-up comedian.

it also seems like complete B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    Well i guess us white folk are just too daggum generous with our cultural identity i reckon...

That article just seems like it was written by an overly sensitive white person offended by an unoriginal black stand-up comedian.

it also seems like complete B.S.
    A fascinating analysis of the dynamics of modern ethnocentrism. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Asian-American
    A fascinating analysis of the dynamics of modern ethnocentrism. Thank you.
    And your User ID is...what?

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    And your User ID is...what?
    I am an open-minded and purely objective Asian-American. So, I can look at things like the article I posted without taking it personally or getting offended.

That wasn't my point.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    That wasn't my point.
    What was it?

You come to a forum, choose an Id that identifies your ethnicity, and post one topic - on racism. I am guessing that you have been hippity-hopping all over the internet, posting the same thing in other forums.

You exhibit ethnocentrism, an overriding concern with race.

I'm not passing judgement on the trait, but you were the one who brought up the term in description of another.

The article, by the way, is simplistic and agenda driven.

racism is a problem in all of us though. I guess it's natural. I find myself horribly racist and I try constantly to work against my base thoughts and generalisations (to little avail).

Quote Originally Posted by thomasjfletcher
    racism is a problem in all of us though. I guess it's natural. I find myself horribly racist and I try constantly to work against my base thoughts and generalisations (to little avail).
    You damn afro-jew-polish-asian-hipppie.....what the hell are you?

You have to be at fault for something?

The whole thing is ludicrous. The fact is that people keep trying to categorize people by race in order to delineate their general behavior and market groupings.

It may be true that there are more blacks that score poorly on standardized tests than whites (percentage wise) but that does not mean that BEING black is the reason for this.

Unfortunately, when you say "blacks scored lower" on something, most people cannot seperate that statement from their own categorization and lumping of all blacks into a somehow genetically inferior group.

If all these studies would just focus more on demographics rather than racial profiling, maybe we would get somewhere. Leave the racial categorization to genetic/hereditary maladies such as Sickle Cell and stop trying to say that being Asian means you will be better at math or being black means you can dance.

:P

Here is a story about a recent incident Downtown which I find pretty disturbing.

I find it incredible that people still describe themselves as Asian American, "Korean", "Japanese" or whatever. Does that make me "Indo European tribesman mixed in the 5000 BC waves of migration with last remnants of NW European Hunter Gatherer-Man American"? I dont think so.

Give me a break. Wouldnt it be better just to say "New Yorker" or "American"?

What is happening here?

Racism is stupid. Nuff' said.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaNYC View Post
    Racism is stupid. Nuff' said.

Here's the barbed question though Omega.

I know which is morally worse, but which is dumber?

Being racist, or behaving like a racist stereotype?

When you dress like a "gangsta", how do you think people will react?

Now where that is turned into racism is unilateral association. I really don't like it when EVERY member of a race is relegated to the few that seek to ruin its name.

Dressing like a gangsta should get you treated like a criminal, but others of the same skin tone should not have to suffer the same treatment because of Mans associative memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    When you dress like a "gangsta", how do you think people will react?

Dressing like a gangsta should get you treated like a criminal...
    Yeh... by the FASHION POLICE!!

There was a pciture in the local paper the other day of a local "yoof" all dolled up like he was some kinda "boy in da hood". He had rescued an old lady from a burning house.

How's about we treat people who commit CRIMES like criminals instead of people with dubious style sense.

On the identity thing: most forms in the UK that contain 'ethnic' info now have a number of categories including 'White British', 'Irish' and 'Other white'. I really don't understand why it's important for, say, my local doctor, to have that info...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast