Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forbes Most Expensive Zip Codes

Quote Originally Posted by Law & Order
    It wasnt terrible for everyone. Do you live with your parents Alex?

My family is very low-income and I understand the economics of being poor.

Housing=Oppertuniy
    Building=Jobs

When someone like you or Fabrizo complains about building or jobs or someone sneezing on you, I feel like you guys are giving us the finger.

Think about others for a second. The South Bronx in the 70's and 80's was a hellhole. Period. Cities were hellholes, period. Some still are.

How can you say with a striaght face that it wasn't terrible for everyone involved. Oh sure, the slumlords did alright. But they didn't have to live there. No one, given the choice, would have liked to have lived there. It was a last resort type of place of crime, disease and horror.

Renovation did a lot for the South Bronx, as well as new construction. Now people want to live there. If it was up to you, you'd let it die. That to me, is the definition of hate and ignorance. Think on that.

The only thing I know is that you're an ass.

This computer is a gift. I pay for my own internet via my job at a fast food establishment.

My family is way below the poverty line for a family my size. My house is paid for by the government and so is our food/utlites bills.

I'm not telling you anymore becasue it's obvious this will be used against me. But anyway, be a snob. You obviously hate people in general and are a NIMBY yourself. When SoHo is a dump in 20 years, you'll have only yourself to thank.

I have family here that have been to the South Bronx frequently during that time period and they know what they're talking about. I am sick and tired of people defending the city at all costs. It's perfect becasue it's not. If you don't understand what that means, let me enlighten you:

NYC is real. It has real crime. Real people. Real transit. Real jobs. Real attitude. it is a real city. People of your ilk are destorying NY. Your killing our poor. Strangling our transit. Killing our neighborhoods.

NY is not some urban disneyland of Prada stores and $600 martinis. While it is, it is a lot more than that. Real people live here. Plumbers, Doctors, Masons, Bus Drivers, Secretaires, Construction workers, Cops, Teachers, Laborers. Not everyone is a CEO or a Broker.

While it seems I want gentrifacition, which I do, I want it for a different reason. It grows NY for all people. More doctors moving into the city creates more jobs for nurses. That's how it works. I want a city overflowing with all types of people. Yuppies, Super Rich, Immigrants, Middle Class, Working Class, Newcomers, Poor, everyone! I love them all!

That's what new housing means. Should it look like the neighborhood? YES! ABSOLUTELY! But stopping all development?...NO!

I never said kill everyone. I did say drop bombs. I mean, if you knew where the nukes we're, wouldn't you act on it?

Also, I was a tad angry on the whole thing. People get emotional about this stuff you know.

Anyway, stop fixating on one thing. All that says is you know I have you beat. If you want an answer, then give me an answer. I have no respect for people who beat around the bush.

/\ My anti-NIMBY stance and my reasoning.

As for my comment about the South Bronx, it's hard for me to imagine people being happy there. Move past the specifics for a moment and see it from a fuzzy presepctive. I mean, look at it, would you want to be there? Look at the statistics.

NY 1970: 7,890,000
    NY 1980: 7,070,000

Look on the Census.gov to back me up.

I mean, really. Really.

/\ Well, I must say that was quite comprehensive and deep.

So, here's my spin:

I like cities. I love cities. I believe in the power of cities and how they draw people togehter. I believe the more density, the better. I do not care if I live 100 stories off the ground, nor do I care if I have 5,000 neighbors. As long as I can quietly sleep at night, and my quilty of life is good, the more, the merrier.

I believe in the power of the masses. I believe economic and popualtion growth is key to a brighter future. I believe in height, size and style. I love buildings with more than 60 floors. However, this does not mean I am into cheapness or "cookie-cutter". I love cast-iron, victorian, brick, art-deco and all those other sorts of things. I do believe the perivous always did it best. But the soultion is not to keep the previous, but to embrace it into the current and future.

I believe that people should have a right to do as they please while it is good for everyone. If I want to build a 60 story building, I should have the right to do that, as long as it fits within the community. For example. If I knock down a colonial house, my condo should look colonial. Simple. You see, compromise is the name of the game.

I, like you, hate the suburbs. I despise the suburbs. I feel it is the greatest example of human ignorance and destruction of society. I feel the post-war period has been one of destrcution of morals and happyness in the sake of money.

However, capitalism is good, as long as it is checked. But then you say "Why don't you like people like Spitzer or NIMBYs?" Well, here's your answer.

It is simply not realistic to expect a company to abide by the rules if there is a way out. It is corporate nature to be evil and selfish and therefore any reforms on the part of NY are simply not going to work. People will simply move to NJ or some other state to escape what is deemed as "restricting" or "liberal". Therefore, this must be a national issue, not a local one.

NY must do all it can to appeal to business while not losing it's morals. You cannot win every battle. But you can win the war. If someone is inconvienced in the short term by a library or firehouse closing, that is accpetable if the lower taxes attract a small buisness that gives us the money to re-open that library or firehouse.

Is my stance more clear? Anything you'd like in more detail?

Quote Originally Posted by Law & Order
    Quote Button

I dont hate the suburbs

I didnt say that, I dont even know what Spitzer is. Im not sure if that quote was supposed to be what I said or not.
    Okay, thanks.

Misquote.

Not an exact quote, but a hypothetcial question. Like what you might ask.

Quote Originally Posted by alex ballard
    Right. Those same egg-heads would have said the South Bronx in 1975 was funky.

It wasn't funky. It was a hellhole for everyone who lived there. Period.

Thank god for low-income housing with foresight. Now, it is a thriving working-class area with new housing all over.

If it was up to you guys, you would have stopped any new construction and told everyone to clear out. You seem like you'd stop every single building from going up.

Not every 'hood is SoHo. You see, I live in the real world. Where people need places to live and jobs to go to. Maybe you should visit.

I can't believe that I'm even going to dignify your ignorant rants with a response, but I can't stand to watch you blather on about something you clearly know so little about.

AlexBallard, you are a teenager who has never lived outside of your parents' home. You're embarrassing yourself by daring to tell grown adults who work 60 hours a week to pay their own rent what it's like in "the real world".

As for the South Bronx's supposed unfunkiness in the 70s-80s, try a Google search of "hip-hop" and another of "Fashion Moda".

With the increasing craziness evident in your posts as of late, it's pretty obvious that your school's out for the summer. Instead of typing away about any topic that comes into your head, try schooling yourself. I don't want to cringe every time I read your posts.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau
    I can't believe that I'm even going to dignify your ignorant rants with a response, but I can't stand to watch you blather on about something you clearly know so little about.

With the increasing craziness evident in your posts as of late, it's pretty obvious that your school's out for the summer. Instead of typing away about any topic that comes into your head, try schooling yourself. I don't want to cringe every time I read your posts.
    well said.

The Dude Abides

Law & Order, I'm just curious. Where do you live?

But I too am a teenager out for the summer. I waste my time watching Law & Order, and staring at maps.
    Hardly a waste of time, in fact two preoccupations I could hardly do without. The difficulty lies in that agonising future career choice: law or cartography?

The Dude Abides

Where in North Carolina? (I only ask because I go to school down there.)

Question

Law and Order, did your family decide to move to here?

The Dude Abides

Cool. I've spent a lot of time in both Vermont and North Carolina. Can't say I could see myself living there. I hope to work in New York after college and continue living somewhere either in the city or in the metro area. I understand your hesitation at giving out more info, but that's more than enough. I go to school about 15 minutes from where you live - at Duke, which is in Durham. I don't really like the city. It's pretty rundown, but a lot of the outer towns are nice, especially in the Research Triangle Park area. I think Chapel Hill is an awesome college town, and I heard Cary is pretty nice too. Oh well, enough of that tangent. Just goes to show you what a small world it is.

The Dude Abides

Well, Beacon Hill isn't technically an independent municipality. It's just an upscale part of the city of Boston, as the Upper East Side is to New York, in a way. I believe you that it's a very nice place to live in, I've been there before. So much for staying on topic.

The Dude Abides

My bad, I thought the list was for individual cities as opposed to zip codes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast