Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: NYC in the 1960's/70's/80's: Your personal stories and experiences

Default NYC in the 1960's/70's/80's: Your personal stories and experiences

What was NYC like between 1960 and 1990? Those 30 years seemed to be the most trublent and trying times for the city and I am personally interested to hear about what was going on at the time.

Any stories or things you have to say on the matter? Was crime really that out of control? Was the graffti really that bad? Did the Bronx truly "burn"? What's the deal?

Yes crime was out of control. There are pictures I forget by what photographer but he has one of a man pulling a gun on another man on the subway and the erie thing is in the background no one seems to care. Subway cars looked like walls of some buildings they were so badly damaged by graffiti. Thats the reason for the redbird subway cars, they were painted as a deterent to stop graffiti. Many apartment buildings throughout the borughs were just shells and were left to fall and rot. Other parts of NYC were livable but other parts just feel into dispair.

Oh damm my mistake, lol but crime was pretty bad and its really remarkable the way the city had turned around since than things were that bad.

I can see why NYC had such a bad reputation....

:EEK:

The film industry has been slow to change that image of NY. Check out Leon (aka The Professioal) - with a very young Natalie Portman.

Filmed in 1994, when things had already begun to change considerably, it depicts a police dept out of control, and lots of violence.

I know.

It's one of my favorite flix.......

Although you do need the full DVD version.........

Default No Subway Graffiti in New York Subway Films!!

After The Filming of "Wild Style" and The TV Movie Called "Draems Don't Die"!!.It Was The MTA that Made The Decision Back in The Late 1980's That They will Not TV Or Movie Companies to Film In The Subway System Whatssoever any Films About The Subways to be allowed to Have The Trains Painted w. Graffiti In These Films,The MTA Saying that It Gives off a Very Bad look and Image of What NY Is Like and During The 1990's,The MTA Also Didn't Wanna Allow The Depliction of Violence in The Subway in Any Movie or TV Show That Is Filmed in The Subways Neither Again The MTA's Saying that It Gives off Another Kind of Negative Image of The Subway System for Many Out of Towners and Tourists!!

Default Wahaay !

You're right - New york is a much improved place but I do miss the live sex shows on 42nd Street.

NYC in the 70s + 80s was fantastic (maybe it helped if you were in your 20s). There was a danger was in the air. It seemed like anything could happen. A grittiness permeated everything. Or maybe that was just the drugs...

Thank goodness it's been years since anyone I know has been mugged or raped -- in the classic sense (those things happened to lots of people I knew back then, self included). But in many ways it seems the muggings have been institutionalized / corporatized / privatized and are now carried out by various government agencies.

Gotta admit though -- it's "prettier" here now. Cleaner.

Whether it's safer is still up in the air ...

Quote Originally Posted by alex ballard
    Was the graffti really that bad?
    Some of the graffiti was really brilliant.

You gotta remember that storefronts had those terrible pull down metal gates so many streets looked like they were barricaded. The graffiti broke up the endless walls of metal sheathing -- it had an energy and a ugly / beauty all it's own.

Do I want it back? Nope -- not like it was. Been there, done that.

Default graffiti

And if you're in town this weekend you might want to check this out, from: Wired New York Forum > City Guide > New York City Guide For Visitors Live Graffiti Art Painting in Harlem on Sat 6/25 & Sun 6/26.
    Live Graffiti Art Painting in Harlem on Sat 6/25 & Sun 6/26.

For Those of you Who May be Fans of Graffiti Art and The Hip-Hop Culture.On Saturday 6/25 and Sunday 6/26 Starting on Saturday at 12 Noon.A Group of Over 3 Dozen Graffiti Artists will be Comming Together at The 25th Annual "Graffiti Hall of Fame" Paint-A-Thon In Spanish Harlem.
    Located at E.106th Street and Park Avenue on The Northwest Corner.You Can Come and Check out These Young and Older Artists Painting Along W. Live Music Playing and The DJ's Spinning The Records and Soem Old School Break Dancing and Pop-Locking!!.
    DIRECTIONS:The Downtown or Uptown # 6 Lexington Avenue Local to The East 103rd Street Station Stop.
    Walk North (Uptown) along Lexington Avenue to East 106th Street,Make a Left Going West on East 106th Street to Park Avenue,Walk Underneath The Park Avenue Metro-North Train Underpass and After Walking Out of The Underpass you'll See The Schoolyard on Your Right at The Corner (E.106th Street & Park Avenue)!!.

Banned Member

Am I bad if I say I remember the Green Door, Adonis Theater, David Theater, Wally's, the Piers, the Ramrod, Zone DK, The Spike, The Altar, The original Eagle and other sordid places? I imagine I am. They were of a time.

Clubs: Area, Palladium, Peppermint Lounge, Danceteria, Mud Club, The Saint, The Garage. Afterhours at Maryanns on W 12th (?) street.

Concerts: Diana Ross (2X) in Central Park, Simon & Garfunkel in the Park, Joan Jett - The Clash - Joe Jackson on the piers. The Clash at Bonds. Bryant Park as a druggie haven.

All the old balloons from Macy's (Superman, Elsie, Popeye, The Dragon, the old Mickey Mouse, Astronaut Snoopy, Superman, Daffy Duck.

Double features at Radio City followed by the "floor show" featuring the Rockettes. Plus, those cool lights on the back of each chair to read the programs.

Happyland Social Club Fire.

The great face ornaments (now gone) on the doors of the Empire Theater. The 102nd Observatory on the ESB.

The incredible banking room at the Emigrant Savings Bank on Chambers Street.

The subway psychadelic subway maps of the 60's/70's.

Construction workers beating up anti-war protesters in 1970 / 1971.

The Bowery at Coney Island: The Cyclone, The Tornado, The Bobsled and The Thunderbolt rollercoasters lined up and lit with neon signs for the whole stretch. Rockaway Playland and the Atomsmasher Coaster. Palisades Amusement Park.

Subway tokens. Penn station before the crap renovation (whem it was the scareiest place in the city and the men's room was an all out gay orgy scene).

Nedicks and its square hotdog buns. Chock Full of Nuts lunch counters. Ebingers bakery.

Recreational drug use - a day when we said "no" to not a single drug. Loose joints for sale out of Sucrets boxes in Washington Square.

The Halloween Parade winding through Bleecker Street. Gay Pride ending (and sutting down) West Street.

Homeless people being referred to as "bums" and "hobos".

Not stories, just recollections.

The salty crackers and butter you get at the downstairs bar in Sardi's.
    The toilets at Radio City Musical Hall.
    The smothered steak at PJ Clarke's.
    The Circle Line Tour,
    The draught Bass in the Ear Bar,naturally.
    The Wall Street Bull,
    The topless bar down by City Hall.
    The stolen menu from Calle Ocho on the Upper West Side.
    Bagels.

Default New York City: A Peek at the Past

If you want an authentic look at "old New York," Bill's Gay Nineties [57 East 54th Street, NYC 10022] has not changed its decor in many decades. On August 17, 2005, there will be a birthday party for Mae West at this location. Master of Ceremonies: Joe Franklin. More details are here: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast