Thread: Londen june 2005

Default London june 2005

Some of my pics from London last weekend:

Hope you like them!!
    New York is still my favorite city, followed by cities like London, Rome, Toronto, Paris, ...
    In september I'm going 6 days to Barcelona. I think that's also a great city to visit.
    Last edited by VdB; June 22nd, 2005 at 11:08 AM.

Thanks for the pics...

NYC has GOT to build us one of these:

I assume Londen=London

Quote Originally Posted by Edward
    I assume Londen=London
    Yep, I wrote it in dutch

that's a really good bunch of pictures!
    ah London, how I love/hate that place!

Forum Veteran

Love that closeup of 30 St Mary Axe looming over the medieval streetscape. Excellent juxtaposition.

Default Bus

Hi,

Great to see the bus in Streatham, I used to live there!

Check out my one of my London photographs here:
    http://www.ajphoto.info/pages/lionsHEAD.html

Take care,

AJ

Forum Veteran

Centre Pointe is arguably the most hideous, street-killing building in London. That giant fountain/elevated plaza thing pretty much makes the entire sidewalk inaccessible and creates a huge blank wall in what's otherwise a bustling neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    Centre Pointe is arguably the most hideous, street-killing building in London. That giant fountain/elevated plaza thing pretty much makes the entire sidewalk inaccessible and creates a huge blank wall in what's otherwise a bustling neighborhood.
    Even worse was how poorly the fountains were designed in that you could end up getting drenched from the other side of the road quite easily.

This is all going to change with the advent of Crossrail, Crossrail 2 and Crossrail 3 the metro-city-metro heavy rail services that will revolutionise London with completely new 12 carriage 30tph lines. The services will be much like the current Thameslink line through London, but Tottenham Court Road will become the principle interchange for all of the Crossrail lines. All designs of the actual stations are still in development, there is an idea for general land purchase to safeguard the route. Tottenham Court Road due to its location won't resemble another Canary Wharf station (although other stations like Isle of Dogs look promising: it will be built within a dock) is unlikely due to the requirement to leave space for 2 other Crossrail lines, work around the Central and Northern Underground Lines and other Victorian era works.

Yet, the Centre Point plaza will be redeveloped as it will become the principle surface entrance for Crossrail... pages 43 onwards illustrate this. I believe the surrounding areas will be landscaped.

http://www.westminster.gov.uk/enviro.../TCR%20ETH.pdf

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by nick-taylor
    londonlawyer - London's population is not 18mn....its metro is though as defined by the GLA. I do believe you disputed this fact on so many occasions (creating dozens of threads) on SSC and SSP that it got you banned. INSEE (the French statistical agency) even used a 40% commuter rate and still got 17mn for a London metro....American metro's use 20% for commuter rates I do believe.
    Yes, but nearly a third of all mass transit users in the country live in or near New York.

I understood the GLC area to be about 11 million. I remember my grandfather in Yorkshire often fondly telling me that London had a higher population than Australia (as I'm sure it did in his day).
    New York is of course the financial capitol, but for how long? (at least until the end of this boom that has defined us).
    And both cities are intensely parochial, as all cities are, even New York, the supposed home of so many favourite tv shows and personal fantasies.

^ Those should be the new fleet of New York cabs, not the cramped hybrid shitboxes we will get.

These cabs are comfortable, spacious, easy to get in and out of, and they take up a bit less pavement.

Wish they didn't clatter so, with their diesel engines; if these cabs got hybrid motive power, they'd be near-perfect (if expensive).

This travelogue thread has been hicjacked into another city vs city debate.

Any further off-topic remarks will be deleted.

10 posts from this thread have been moved here.