Page 101 of 152 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 2267

Thread: London Projects

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Tenenbaum View Post
    Why?
    Because you're a troll. You post the same comments about my country again and again, and acting as if you come from some kind of paradise. Considering the type of thread this is (a thread about development projects) the insults and attempted belittlement are totally unwarranted.

No, thats the entertainment part. You forgot to read the opinion part of my post.
    It's not entertaining. And believe me I've read all your posts over the last couple of pages, you just post the same 'opinion' that has nothing to do with the thread again and again, even when people are trying to move on and get back to the subject at hand. This is what trolls do, and like I said I'm surprised you haven't been brigged or band yet for it.

Then go and watch the Royle Family and start to reflect upon your culture a little bit. And your city skyline. I happen to think that it sucks. When the Hong Kong skyline sharts, something like Singapore comes out, and when that sharts, something like London comes out. See?

I try to study and observe and comment on it and its fascinating to watch the post-Empire death throes of the English as they struggle to find identity in a world that just seems to pile on them more and more every day.

How about breaking the mold? Ever heard of optimism?
    I know what you think, and you seem scared in case we forget it.

Like I said, my country has it's issues. But so does every other country, including yours. When we come to this thread we shouldn't have to be constantly on the defensive. It's about posting and discussing news. You've turned it into a discussion of how crap you think my country and capital city are.

Lets get back on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by newcastle kid View Post
    ...and acting as if you come from some kind of paradise.
    I do.

Like I said, my country has it's issues. But so does every other country, including yours. When we come to this thread we shouldn't have to be constantly on the defensive.
    If you think bad, bads what you get. Rather than lashing out like child, how about addressing the issues raised/made? You acknowledge that they exist, I invite you to address them.

I think your moderator just told us to get back on topic. ^^ That isn't. And I'm not lashing out like a child at all, there's only one person acting like a child here.

For the people who still visit this thread for the updates: A lovely construction picture of the Heron Tower from Skyscraper City forumer Wawd can be found here. I'd love to post the pic myself but I think it'll stretch the page.

Great pic - thanks NK. And not a solar flare in sight...

I've lived and worked in HK & Singapore for as long as I care to remember, but I still miss the views & vibe on the walk home after a day at work in London. I personally find Singapore's skyline quite forgettable (though that is potentially going to change), and HK doesn't have enough variation... there's only so many times you can look across Victoria Harbour and see something new of interest in the view.

Quote Originally Posted by nick-taylor View Post

Livingstone is probably one of the rudest people around, but as a politician he gets things done. Boris comes out with the jokes and Latin wit, but lacks the ability to get anything positive done (axing DLR extensions, or revenue generating operations, etc doesn't cut the mustard).

Ultimately it isn't jokes that cuts crime, make transport more bearable, or help with the property issue - its action.
    I am inclined to agree with on that, but to be fair Boris has supported crossrail and secured the extra funding from local businesses. I am still not happy with his dd bus idea. Not all of Kens plans could of gone through with crossrail taking such a huge chunk of funding and TFl's budget deficit. I did notice graffiti on the underground trains was worse this year (May), I don't know if that's due to a cutback somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mtj73 View Post
    I am inclined to agree with on that, but to be fair Boris has supported crossrail and secured the extra funding from local businesses. I am still not happy with his dd bus idea. Not all of Kens plans could of gone through with crossrail taking such a huge chunk of funding and TFl's budget deficit. I did notice graffiti on the underground trains was worse this year (May), I don't know if that's due to a cutback somewhere.
    Boris has had/has to support Crossrail because only a fool with the lifespan of a fly would stop it going ahead. The business benefits to the rest of the UK through London would be astronomical.

To get an indication of Boris' interest in perhaps London's (/the UK's) most important infrastructure project for 100 years, you only have to look at his voting history on Crossrail in the House of Commons HERE

As you can see despite being the MP for Henley - a constituency/commuter settlement that would be directly affected by Crossrail - prior to becoming Mayor of London, he was absent when Crossrail was at vote. A let down for his own constitutents, but a concern for a project of such importance.

His double decker idea is a crazy idea - only when people realise that journeys take longer (due to slower boardings), and buses are more crowded (routes that the bendies are being taken out of action have bridges that impede double deckers) that people might realise at the cockup. That and the rise in fares or cut in services elsewhere to pay for a £100mn 'project' and countless more staff (which will increase the chance of additional disruption through strikes). A complete waste of resources for a project that will end up causing disruption for Londoners.

Transport routes are the arteries of cities; if they clog up they paralyze urban 'organs'. Relief arteries or brand new arteries can ensure that the organism can grow naturally. The Thames Gateway is set to become the biggest urban project in Europe over the next 30 years; cancelling a new bridge over the Thames and DLR extensions are pointless when the development is inevitable, especially with the housing market already in a process of recovery.

If we can't get transport right, we won't get developments right, if developments end up isolated, we won't lower crime and social deprivation.

The biggest problem with Boris is hiow he manages - he can't, which is a worry for one of the world's premier cities. The latest embarassment for Boris is that the BNP (of all people) raised the matter of Ian Clements' fraudulent expenses to the Police. Clements is the latest deputy mayor to go amid claiming dinners with a woman half his age on his expenses...but stated to the GLA that they were with politicians.

To make matters worse, Boris personally signed off the expenses meaning that he took responsibility in what could become a criminal investigation.

To All - Ignore GT; it's not really worth it and only pollutes the thread.

DITTO, the mods obviously won't do anything about it. They will ban people who insult him, but completely allow him to insult a specific country, repeatedly (you see, that's ok, its not racist). To summarise from the last few pages alone (and bearing in mind this is completely unprovoked, on a thread about construction for Chrissakes):

That "the English government is a joke, and its a police state"

"And your police force is a joke. And your education system."

"your country has nothing else to offer? Except arms sales and smelly expats."

"England of 2009 is a small island who's natives cant wait to leave while it is being occupied by the third world. If you dont like it, fix it, dont try to blame us here for pointing that out."

"What Fking City? Its a freaking monstrosity"

"And your city skyline. I happen to think that it sucks. When the Hong Kong skyline sharts, something like Singapore comes out, and when that sharts, something like London comes out. See?"

On specific forum members:

"He simply needs to learn his manners or realize that the world consists of more than English chav expats like him who go around proclaiming "EVERYTHOINGS SO CHOIP! ITS THE POUND YOU SEE?"

"You joined Wired New York to say this? I challenge you to work together with your fellow countrymen and build ONE decent fast food chain OR one seaworthy blue water operations aircraft carrier for your next colonial Suez/Falklands like war."

????

If that's not trolling I don't know what is. You don't need to swear to troll, or show yourself to have a prejudice against a specific people. Any other major forum would have banned him by now for the rather obvious political agenda - with or without swearing or outright attack. For example to say that x person is 'smelly' may not be especially shocking. However to say at random 'Ukrainians' are smelly, is making that word into proper insult. To say Ukraine has 'smelly' immigrants is one thing, to say Ukraine has 'nothing to offer but smelly immigrants' another. The resulting insult received is the same with or without the inclusion of a swearword.

...Right my question is:

why don't the mods do anything?

This has been going on for years. Why do we have to put up with this insult and derailment, why is everyone having to resort to the ignore function?

As reminder, this hurts people.
    To see one's own culture constantly put down and caricaturised on the context of a foreign field is frustrating.

PS As Nick said PLEASE IGNORE THE TROLL, DO NOT ADDRESS HIM

Last edited by zupermaus; June 27th, 2009 at 06:50 AM.

The Columbus Tower, which at 237m would have been the tallest building in the Wharf (and the best design to boot) has been denied planning permission.

Supposedly it's become a 'conservation area' in the 4 years since the building originally got planning permission The reasons the council gave for denying it, were deemed none-issues by the council themselves when they first recieved the application! It's seems there is something else going on.

If the developers don't start construction before March, this won't be built. And considering there is still an occupied building on site, the chances are very slim.

Quote Originally Posted by zupermaus View Post
    DITTO, the mods obviously won't do anything about it. They will ban people who insult him, but completely allow him to insult a specific country, repeatedly (you see, that's ok, its not racist).
    No one here has been banned for insulting anyone, except one person who admitted registering just to call someone a prick. Do you know of another?

This isn't as easy as you assume, that is, if you want the forum to remain a free-flowing exchange of ideas. We can't dictate what people like, so should we impose some numerical limit on how many times they can say it? Got a good number?

Rather than fuel further drifting off-topic with these complaints, why don't you open a thread in Forum Issues, where the topic can be discussed at length, and maybe find a resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by zupermaus View Post
    DITTO, the mods obviously won't do anything about it. They will ban people who insult him, but completely allow him to insult a specific country, repeatedly (you see, that's ok, its not racist). To summarise from the last few pages alone (and bearing in mind this is completely unprovoked, on a thread about construction for Chrissakes
    Its about architecture. Something that people use. People who live in the city. People like Tomlinson who couldnt walk home without getting bashed and killed by the famous Met police. Hey, the architecture and construction in Berlin in 39 was nice, majestic, even awe inspiring, but would you want to live there? Thats where the social mix comes in, the customs, traditions, law and more important the lore. There are many things that make LONDON "London", and how the people access, use and employ the architecture is part of it. How you and I view the architecture is also part of it The people around you as you walk the streets, take the view etc, work in the buildings, use the buildings, questions like whether you are able to access the buildings from the inside, or whether they are private or for employees only. Taking that latter point, as an example, I get the feeling that many of the buildings in the city would be more spectacular to work in (in a nice office with a window view) than it would be to walk by them or even view them. Are they designed with that in mind? Of course, to some degree or another.

Dont like that? Send James Bond, Ill kick his ass. Or do something about the planning, society and other problems in London through some intelligent dialogue, rather than having a perpetual wankfest where London can do no wrong and everything looks so pretty in the developer mockups.

Here's a start

Spare London’s skyline yet another episode of these faulty towers

Londoners should steel themselves for a shock. The London Eye is soon to be overshadowed by a gigantic stump on the South Bank directly behind the National Theatre. It will comprise 43 storeys of private luxury flats. The building will be of no civic or public significance but simply a way of making money. It will sit above a swimming pool to which, as a sop to local people, non-residents will be admitted - as if that were due compensation for punching London in the face.
    Even the relevant secretary of state, Hazel Blears, normally pro-developer, thought to stall the plan by demanding a public inquiry but, with Johnson declining to object, she has let it through.
    Last October Johnson compounded the offence by deciding to allow another tower and wall of slabs over Waterloo Station, directly behind the Shell Centre. The tower will be 33 storeys and the slabs 27 and 22 storeys.
    The effect of the South Bank tower and the now-dubbed Three Ugly Sisters will be of a wall of unrelieved, energy-guzzling glass gashed across the vista of central London just where the river performs a sweeping curve between Westminster and the City. What will Johnson want next: a nuclear power station in Belgrave Square?
    It is hard to imagine a more sensitive location anywhere in Europe. The towers conform to no plan or contextual policy. They are simply demanded by developers and conceded by a planning process that is hopelessly divided between boroughs, the Mayor and a secretary of state.
    Last edited by Gregory Tenenbaum; June 27th, 2009 at 01:07 PM.

why don't you open a thread in Forum Issues, where the topic can be discussed at length, and maybe find a resolution.
    Done!

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showth...160#post289160

London Developers and Planners.

They put the "Raper" into "London Skysc*****s".

A little "Two Ronnies STOYLE HYOIMOR FOR YOUSE"

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    No one here has been banned for insulting anyone, except one person who admitted registering just to call someone a prick. Do you know of another?

This isn't as easy as you assume, that is, if you want the forum to remain a free-flowing exchange of ideas. We can't dictate what people like, so should we impose some numerical limit on how many times they can say it? Got a good number?

Rather than fuel further drifting off-topic with these complaints, why don't you open a thread in Forum Issues, where the topic can be discussed at length, and maybe find a resolution.
    ^I rest my case.

Newcastle kid, I don't get how they got that turned into a 'conservation area' in the interim. Theyre probably worried Columbus will herald a new clutch of towers around it as its a bit 'standalone' for it not to warrant some 'props ups'.
    Last edited by zupermaus; June 27th, 2009 at 03:37 PM.