View Poll Results: Which city deserves the title of "second city of the NYC Metro Area

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jersey City, NJ

36 46.15%
  • Hoboken, NJ

5 6.41%
  • White Plains, NY

8 10.26%
  • Stamford, CT

5 6.41%
  • Newark, NJ

24 30.77%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which city do you think deserves the title of "second city" in the Metro Area?

Default Which city do you think deserves the title of "second city" in the Metro Area?

The Tri-state area is more than just NYC. It encompasses NY, NJ, and CT. Each state has some of its own cities within their area. Which one do you think deserves the title of "second city" and no, the outer boroughs do not count.

How about GardenCity Long Island. With the amount of shoping and new luxury rentals, plus office space this is the city of Long Island, as i feel.

Forum Veteran

Jersey City and Hoboken, along with many of the cities on the Jersey side of the Hudson, could be construed as a western extension of Manhattan (I know JCMAN is going to flame me for this).

Stamford is slick and corporate.

White Plains is too small and too distant.

And I'm surprised that Yonkers isn't on the list.

Newark it is.

LOL Tloz no I'm not it your very correct in your observation. Newark at one time when it was at its peak was New York's sister city. JC very well could be another borough along with the rest of the cities in Hudson County. If all the cities which are Jersey City, Bayonne, North Bergen, Hoboken, Union City, Guttenburg, West New York, Weehawkin, Secacus, Kearny, Harrison, and East Newark, were to combine to form one city, it would be a city of 635,000 people which would definately be considered another borough lol. So I know you rpoint of choosing Newark with its parks, airport, seaport, penn station, own subway, etc......, but I feel JC is the correct choice call em bias lol.
    Last edited by JCMAN320; July 4th, 2005 at 05:13 AM.

According to the federal government, and all the online enclyclopedias, the answer is Newark NJ. Its the second urban core in the metropolitian area

Urban core, yes, but city, no.

I think JC is getting there. I also think the Condo Farms in Hoboken, Union and the rest are also in contension, but not by themselves.

I am just wondering if we will see, in my lifetime, further expansions INTO or ACROSS the river on either side......

Out of what is listed I would say Newark, but wheres Yonkers on the list?

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    Jersey City and Hoboken, along with many of the cities on the Jersey side of the Hudson, could be construed as a western extension of Manhattan (I know JCMAN is going to flame me for this).

Stamford is slick and corporate.

White Plains is too small and too distant.

And I'm surprised that Yonkers isn't on the list.

Newark it is.

Newark? While Newark "could be" the NYC. Metro's second city, it has completely missed the boat with the development of Jersey City.
    I see Jersey City and Hoboken as New York's 6th borough. Their feeling is urban, they're connected to Manhattan and they offer alot for New Yorkers looking for lower prices but with the urban hipness of the city.

Jersey City and Hoboken are more New York than Staten Island! Now how ironic is that?

White Plains. At least keep it in the same state.

Hoboken could be NYC's "second bedroom community," but it doesn't even qualify as a city.

Brooklyn

Population: 2,465,326
    Land Area: 70.61 square miles
    Density: 34,917

Hoboken is a small low-rise city consisting like Brooklyn mostly of row houses and medium-size apartment buildings. Not, however, NY metro's second city.

Population: 38,577
    Area: 1.28 square miles
    Density: 30,239

Boston

Population: 589,141
    Area: 48.4 square miles
    Density: 12,172

Newark is. Sorry, but a city with a population with over 200,000, two Fortune 500 companies (PSEG and Prudential), a Federal Building, one of the largest county parks in the region, the biggest transportation hub in the state and one of the biggest in the region, a baseball stadium, a performing arts center in which over 4 million people have attended, a soon-to-be arena with a 3-time Stanley Cup winner, an airport only a couple of miles from Downtown, its own seaport, 7 highways (including the Parkway that runs through and exits Vailsburg), 5 colleges (soon to be 6 with Berkeley coming later this fall), 2 major movie theatres, 4 hospitals, and a place that's only behind NYC and Hartford in the top insurance cities in the east deserves my vote, no matter how "less developed or gentrfied" it is.
    Last edited by Marv95; April 10th, 2006 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marv95
    Newark is. Sorry, but a city with a population with over 200,000, two Fortune 500 companies (PSEG and Prudential), a Federal Building, one of the largest county parks in the region, the biggest transportation hub in the state and one of the biggest in the region, a baseball stadium, a performing arts center in which over 4 million people have attended, a soon-to-be arena with a 3-time Stanley Cup winner, an airport only a couple of miles from Downtown, its own seaport, 7 highways (including the Parkway that runs through and exits Vailsburg), 5 colleges (soon to be 6 with Berkeley coming later this fall), 2 major movie theatres, 4 hospitals, and a place that's only behind NYC and Hartford in the top insurance cities in the east deserves my vote, no matter how "less developed or gentrfied" it is.
    As a JC resident, I agree with Marv95.

Newark, in terms of urban architecture is much more of a gem then JC.

Newark, like Philly, is a nice mix of old and new.

In the spirit if Urban Architecture, it's Newark, with JC close second.

JC extremely close. JC has beautiful architecture, some even better than Newark becuase our buildings weren't bunred out in the riots so more of our buildings are in great condition and still standing! People gotta go deep through Downtown and the rest of the city to see it and stop defining us just by our Downtown and realize the city spreads well beyond it.

You mean there's like people and buildings beyond Exchange Pl.????????!!!!!!!

I'm just teasing you lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast