Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New tower near the ESB

Default New tower near the ESB

Residential Firm Takes Development Site for $20M
    By Barbara Jarvie
    Last updated: June 28, 2005 07:45am

NEW YORK CITY-Senior Living Options Inc. has acquired a 50-foot wide, 4,960-sf vacant parcel diagonally across from the Empire State Building for $20 million. The firm plans to construct a 100,000-sf residential building on the site.

McSam Hotel LLC sold the site on Fifth Avenue and East 35th Street after deciding not to construct a hotel on the site, according to Eastern Consolidated’s Alan P. Miller, who arranged the sale. Lee Odell Real Estate collaborated with Miller, who had closed several deals with Senior Living.

Miller calls the site “an extremely valuable parcel” due to its location and because it’s zoned for multiple uses. “In truth, the land never really came to market, because the seller realized it would be more fiscally prudent, given today’s heavy demand for apartment buildings, to sell to a residential developer, rather than to develop a hotel on the site.”

McSam originally purchased site in May 2000. At that time, a five-story commercial building owned and tenanted by the Building Service Employees International Union, occupied the site. The building was razed in preparation to construct a 27-story hotel, but those plans changed after 9/11. Earlier this year, McSam purchased 373 Fifth Ave., which shares the same zoning lot with 1-3 E. 35th St. That acquisition allowed McSam to increase the bulk that could be utilized on East 35th Street.

With proceeds from the sale, Queens-based McSam has made several more land acquisitions in order to build moderately priced hotels in Midtown, Midtown South and Downtown. The firm has developed 10 hotels with 2,000 rooms in the last five years. Brian Wrynn, Esq. represented McSam in-house, while Eric H. Seltzer Esq. of Gilbride, Tusa, Last & Spellane acted for Senior Living.

Oh cool another new tower close to the ESB... oh Goody!

The Dude Abides

Yeah, here's the another major one planned near the ESB. Seems like we haven't had an update on it in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3
    Far West Side & Penn Station Area Development
    Approximately the area west of Fifth Avenue from 30th to 38th Street and the area west of Eighth Avenue from 40th to 28th Street.

Project #1

400 Fifth Avenue
    396-400 Fifth Avenue (Fifth Avenue between West 37th and 38th Streets)
    ~50 stories ~600 feet
    SOM/SLCE Architects
    Dev-Chetrit Brothers
    Residential Condominium
    Proposed 2005-2007

SOM; AIANY Design Awards 2004
    http://www.aiany.org/designawards/2004/projects/226.htm

http://www.thai3dviz.com

New York Daily News
    What's up on Fifth?

January 24, 2005

There's a hole in the ground on Fifth Avenue not far from Lord & Taylor - and the Chetrit family is responsible for it. The real estate investors are planning a mixed-use development at 396, 398 and 400 Fifth Ave., south of W. 37th St., sources said.

The buildings at 398 and 400 Fifth have just been torn down. And a permit's been issued allowing the facade of 396 Fifth to be demolished and replaced.

People in the neighborhood got their hopes up that something really nice would be built at the site - because Trevor Davis, a high-profile builder of upscale residential towers, is listed as the property owner on city-issued demolition permits.

Davis built the elegant apartment tower at 425 Fifth, which is just across the avenue from Chetrits' project. But he's not going to be involved in the Chetrits' project, sources said.

A spokeswoman for the Chetrits did not respond to requests for comment.

All contents © 2005 Daily News, L.P.

Tower at 400 Fifth Avenue (New York City)
    http://www.architects.org/emplibrary/ACF5469.pdf

designed by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (New York City – project team: Peter Magill
    AIA, Gary Haney AIA, Stephen Apking AIA, Aybars Asci, Barbara Kalish AIA, and Nick
    Holt)

The massing of this 600-ft tower acknowledges its historic predecessors in this portion of the New York skyline, but the less contextual architecture of its surface is what shows the most imagination. The facades are unpredictable fields of offset planes that take full advantage of the reflective qualities of glass. The fascination with the building’s skin produces an elegant and interesting outcome – sufficient to deserve an award in its own right – and the designers’ search for an innovative relation between the building’s perceived volume and its surface adds dimension to their achievement.

ESB webcam
    http://live7.truelook.com/face/newfa...imagemap.y=398

Links:
    http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...e=10018%2d2700
    Map

http://www.aiany.org/designawards/2004/projects/226.htm

http://www.knowledgeplex.org
    Adjacent to the corner of 404 Fifth Ave. between East 37th and 38th streets is the site of two four-floor mixed-use buildings. The buildings are in the process of being demolished to make way for another luxury residential condominium development. Trevor Davis and the Chetrit Group are planning to develop the site. The new building is located across the street from Davis & Partners' 67-story mixed-use condominium at 425 Fifth Ave., which opened earlier this year.
    I also remember being in the neighborhood a few weeks ago and seeing a large lot on the southeast corner of 33rd and 5th being cleared. Anyone have information on that project?

Forum Veteran

wow, I love the facade treatment on 400 5th ave - that's a really beautiful building.

whew.... I was bracing myself for a tan brick apt building with balconies ...or some Miami beach-style clone... ruining forever one of NYC´s great views and cheapening the avenue. This looks brilliant. If it looks as good as these renderings this could soon be one of everybody´s new favorite buildings. This is worthy of sitting next to the ESB. This is the best thing I´ve seen since the Times Building. wow.

The Dude Abides

Speaking of the Miami beach-style building, I think I just answered my own question on the building on the southeast corner of 33rd and 5th. That would be this one, designed by KPF:

Does anyone have photos of what's at this site now? I can't think of any empty lots near the ESB.

Total lack of class. Has no place on 5th especially next to the ESB.

Forum Veteran

could be worse... it could be 425 5th.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio
    Total lack of class. Has no place on 5th especially next to the ESB.
    Well, I can't say that you didn't jinx it :-P

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer
    Does anyone have photos of what's at this site now? I can't think of any empty lots near the ESB.
    If you're referring to the site of 325 Fifth, this is the most recent photo we have on the forum:

Thumbs up

Cool facade. That will look good by the ESB if they use quality materials.

I'm not sold on the base yet.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686
    If you're referring to the site of 325 Fifth, this is the most recent photo we have on the forum:
    Thnx but I was referring to the site of the project that's the subject of this post. The article states:

McSam Hotel LLC sold the site on Fifth Avenue and East 35th Street after deciding not to construct a hotel on the site... McSam originally purchased site in May 2000. At that time, a five-story commercial building owned and tenanted by the Building Service Employees International Union, occupied the site. The building was razed in preparation to construct a 27-story hotel, but those plans changed after 9/11. Earlier this year, McSam purchased 373 Fifth Ave., which shares the same zoning lot with 1-3 E. 35th St. That acquisition allowed McSam to increase the bulk that could be utilized on East 35th Street.

Question

Correct me if I am wrong, but THREE, DIFFRENT projects are mentioned in this thread? First, the topic of the thread, the new tower. Which we have no clue as to the dsign yet. Second, the 400 5th building that has seemed to disappeared as of late. And third, the Miami Style building at 33rd street.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkYankee
    Correct me if I am wrong, but THREE, DIFFRENT projects are mentioned in this thread?
    You're right Yankee, discussion is flying around on 3 different projects (but all do have the common theme of being new towers near ESB).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast