Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Hippodrome Facade (6th Ave. and 44th St.)

Default New Hippodrome Facade (6th Ave. and 44th St.)

I've noticed that this building, which has a miserable 70's facade, has construction scaffolding outside of it and wondered what was going on. Someone who works in the building told me that it's getting a new facade (a la the Macklowe building on Madison and 44th). Has anyone seen a rendering?

By the way, a renovation is well overdue for this miserable building in such a prime location, especially since it's getting a stunning new neighbor (i.e., B of A, baby)!!!

I was going to ask the same question. Whatever is planned is for a 2005 completion. I've also always thought the Hippodrome was under FAR, maybe they'll add a few more floors.

Currently, The Hippodrome at 1120 Avenue of the Americas:

Quote Originally Posted by Stern
    Currently, The Hippodrome at 1120 Avenue of the Americas:

Because that photo is drowned in sunlight, one can't appreciate how horrible that building's facade is. If the completion date is 2005, hopefully, the buidling will be re-skinned. The building on Madison and 44th went from horrible to quite nice.

Was the HBO building next to the Hippodrome newly built or was that it reskin of an older building? If the latter, it holds hope for the Hippodrome?

Unhappy

As you can see by the pics, the old windows are not being removed, the new glazing is purely cosmetic and will cover the front. It would be better if the ugly fascade was replaced instead of glazed over but I suppose they want to ask higher rents while not inconveniencing tenants.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

See, this is exactly why if you have a great design, it'll stand the test of time instead having to be "re-enhanced" just 20 or 30 years down the road.

Some of these damn uninspired boxes they're building now are already outdated even before they are completed.

Hearst will still turn heads 50 years from now, whereas something like Goldman Sachs (ho hum) won't even get a passerby's attention the day it's completed.

Default The windows come out after the new curtain wall is installed

Quote Originally Posted by Stern
    As you can see by the pics, the old windows are not being removed, the new glazing is purely cosmetic and will cover the front. It would be better if the ugly fascade was replaced instead of glazed over but I suppose they want to ask higher rents while not inconveniencing tenants.
    The way these reskinning projects work when there are tenants is to apply the new panel outboard of the existing skin, then come back and remove the interior windows and provide new trim to finish the interior.

latest look...it actually starting to look much better

This is a wonderful improvement.

Funny: if you look at the photo 3 images up you´ll see a shoddy wavy green glass building that was once beautiful red brick.... a make-over gone wrong.

An improvement to be sure, though the glass looks similar to what's being installed all over the city.

Nice photos, welcome NYCTowers.

^ that red-brick building is now HBO ! it was once the "bryant Park Building" !!

HBO building is the green faced to our right.

Banned Member

Besides aesthetics, does anyone know if there is any green technology being applied?

The Dude Abides

It's almost done. Picture taken today (8/23):

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast