Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: String of Blasts Hit London in Rush Hour

Default String of Blasts Hit London in Rush Hour

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/07/in...explosion.html

July 7, 2005
    Blair Calls Subway and Bus Blasts a Terror Attack; at Least 2 Killed

By SARAH LYALL
    LONDON, July 7 - London was struck by a series of at least seven separate and apparently coordinated terrorist explosions in subways and buses during the morning rush hour this morning. The explosions ripped apart at least one double-decker bus and caused officials to close and evacuate the entire subway system.

There were many casualties, but officials said it was still too early to tell how many of them were injuries. There were at least two dead. Witnesses reported seeing dozens of people stumbling out of subway stations, coughing, and black with soot. Dozens more were being loaded into ambulances on stretchers and taken to hospitals around the city.

In a televised statement from the Group of Eight summit meeting of world leaders, Prime Minister Tony Blair said it was "reasonably clear" that the explosions had been an act of terrorism.

"It is reasonably clear that there has been a series of terrorist attacks in London," Mr. Blair said. "There are obviously casualties - with people that have died and people are seriously injured."

He added, "Just as it is reasonably clear that this is a terrorist attack or a series of terrorist attacks, it is also reasonably clear that it is designed and aimed to coincide with the opening of the G-8."

Mr. Blair said he planned to travel to London from Gleneagles, Scotland, within the next few hours, and then return to Scotland for the summit this evening. In his absence, he said, the summit would continue.

"It is the will of all of the leaders of the G-8, however, that the meeting should continue in my absence, that we should continue to discuss the issues we were going to discuss - and reach the conclusions which we were going to reach," Mr. Blair said.

He added that it was "particularly barbaric" that the attacks had occurred during a summit intended to aid people in developing nations.

Traces of explosives were found at one of the blast sites, said the chief commissioner of London's Metropolitan Police, Ian Blair, according to Reuters.

The police official said explosions had taken place at or around the subway stations at Edgware Road, King's Cross, Liverpool Street, Russell Square, Aldgate East and Moorgate. He declined to speculate on the cause, but added, "We are concerned that this is a coordinated attack."

Television pictures showed people with bloody faces and bandages on their faces and heads.

The explosions came a day after London celebrated winning the bid for the 2012 Olympic Games.

Roger Clark, who was riding on a bus to work in central London, said he had seen a double-decker bus on the street ahead of him suddenly explode.

"The top rear section of the bus exploded, ripping apart the whole of the bus," he told CNN. "It lifted about 10 meters above the bus."

The bus, he said, had been "packed" with people.

Other witnesses reported seeing "multiple casualties, multiple bodies."

British Home Secretary Charles Clarke said there had been "terrible injuries."

Mobile phones and land lines were not working because the systems had been overloaded. Large sections of central London had been cordoned off.

At Tavistock Square, a parking attendant, Ade Soji, said that the driver of the bus that exploded had stopped him just before it took place. "I was helping a member of the public with directions when the bus stopped and the driver asked me the name of the street," Mr. Soji told the Press Association. "I told him Tavistock Square and he called me over. Just as I was about to go, I heard the bus explode. In another second I would have been dead. I had to run for my life."

Witnesses reported that the top of the bus was seared off like a sardine can.

Mr. Blair, London's police commissioner, said that since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, in the United States, London's emergency services had been preparing for such an incident and that "the situation is being controlled." He warned people to "stay where you are" and not to attempt to travel around London - in addition to the subway closures, much of the bus system was also closed - and not to call the police or ambulance services unless there was a life-threatening emergency.

At St. Mary's Hospital in Paddington, officials reported that they had admitted four people with critical injuries, like loss of arms and legs; eight with serious injuries, including head wounds, smoke inhalation and lacerations; and four with more minor injuries, including temporary hearing loss.

Loyita Worley, who works for a city law firm, told the BBC that she was in the subway when an explosion took place in the next carriage, while it was in a tunnel.

Ms. Worley, 49, said: "All the lights went out and the train came to an immediate halt. There was smoke everywhere and everyone was coughing and choking, but remained calm. We couldn't open the doors."

After the doors were opened they were taken to Liverpool Street station, Ms. Worley said. She said that the carriage where the explosion took place was "black on the inside" and that she had seen people who appeared to have their clothes blown off, as well as bodies lying inside the carriage.

London's airports have remained opened and subway stations could be reopened soon, though buses will continue to be out of service for now, said Mr. Clarke, the British home secretary.

"People are strongly advised not to travel into central London as the emergency services must be allowed to do their work in the most effective way that they can," Mr. Clarke said.

So, how do you think we will respond?

Do you think this will bolster or further derail support of Bush and his policies against terrorism?

I can see how this can be used as another "Us vs. Them" seto of political positioning, I can also see this as a stanchion for the argument that things like the war in Iraq has little, if anything, to do with the War on Terrorism and is not preventing further attacks home or abroad for us or our allies.

I hope it is dealt with strait up, but I will bet money that everybody and their brother who is in politics will work it into some sort of blame or accreditation of our own leaders and policies.

I wonder if Bush felt even a flicker of responsiblity for dragging Britain into his quagmire. What an all-around tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau
    I wonder if Bush felt even a flicker of responsiblity for dragging Britain into his quagmire. What an all-around tragedy.
    Bush and Congress can take responsibility for US actions. Tony Blair and Parliament are ultimately responsible for the actions of the UK.

Forum Veteran

excerpt from NY times... Bush exploits the tragedy to push his bs "war on terror" talking points:

"On the one hand, you have people working to alleviate poverty and rid the world of the pandemic of AIDS and ways to have clean a environment, and on the other hand, you have people working to kill other people," the president said. "The contrast couldn't be clearer between the intentions and the hearts of those of us who care deeply about human rights and human liberty, and those who kill, those who've got such evil in their hearts that they will take the lives of innocent folks. The war on terror goes on."

Tony Blair said something similar in his initial address this morning. I was really surprised that he would pimp the G-8 PR at a time like this.

Most of us know who the bad guys are George.

The war on terror is the unglamorous intelligence work that helps prevent these attacks, but every dollar spent in Iraq is a dollar less spent on that surveillance.

Forum Veteran

More a time for words of grief and reassurance I would think. It's like they can't shake election-mode politics to just be human.

Reuters/ITN photo

Forum Veteran

I am shocked, saddened and enraged. How horribly ironic that this news comes the day after London won its Olympic bid.

Nothing can ever justify this sort of carnage. It can be argued by that the victims in the World Trade Center were unwitting cogs in the machinery of the military-industrial complex, but attacking a transportation system that is entirely in the realm of the public?

But the sad truth is that the perpetrators of this atrocity have convictions, and they believe they have just cause: eye for an eye, striking back against their oppressors. As long the root of those convictions exists, then, via the perpetual cycle of violence that it's become, the war on terror will continue.

It's possible that this act was the work of a loosely formed ad hoc group, in which case it would have been difficult to detect and stop. There seem to be more militant Islamic groups (if that's who did this) in London than anywhere outside the Middle East.

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    But the sad truth is that the perpetrators of this atrocity have convictions, and they believe they have just cause: eye for an eye, striking back against their oppressors. As long the root of those convictions exists, then, via the perpetual cycle of violence that it's become, the war on terror will continue.
    An eye for an eye clearly leads to very dangerous places and does continue the cycle. This could also describe some recent military actions:

1) US v. Panama (or GB1 v. Noriega)

2) US v. Iraq I (or GB1 v. Saddam)

3) US v. Iraq II (or GB2 [as proxy for GB1] v. Saddam)

This makes me so madd that this happened. My prayers go out to everyone who has been affected by this. As resdients of the NYC and the surrounding area we empathize with them in how they feel after what we went through on 9-11. This BS will never stop apparently so the war on terror is a load of shit and waste of lives and money like it has been all long. The British are very resiliant this doen't phase them. They have this kind of attitude like OMG what was that...oh thats all...okay then let me go about my day. Remember this is the same city that survived a blitz of bombings everyday for 3 years in world war too, thats why you see people waving because I shouldnt say not a big deal, but it's not the end of the world so life goes on. Thats the British for you. GO LONDON!!!!!

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by Law & Order
    Were the extra security measures being taken in New York noticable?
    Yeah, twice as many police in the subways and train stations as usual. Lots of random stops near bridges and tunnels. My mom said her office building had extra police and security guards.

My love and prayers go to the london people who died in this evil attack.

I wish apon a day that all the people and leaders of the world can come together and have finally have world peace.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast