Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 85

Thread: Typical Taxi Driver attitude?

  1. #31

    Default re: Typical NYC Taxi Drive attitude?

    Hello everyone, Thanks all you guys for the kind words .

    (I’m sorry if my popping in out of nowhere is annoying anyone, but even though I’m not a regular this is a very hot subject for me. Also, let me say up front that this will include major bitching and complaining, but i am posting anyway to add more clarity and specifics to the case).

    In response to some of the ‘oh c’mon’ and ‘don’t be so grouchy’ replies I’ve read, again I say: even if one tries to maintain a nice pleasant atmosphere, the attitudes of the greater average of passengers really make it tough.

    I think am mostly polite and amiable when dealing with people. Also, I’ve worked in various sorts of things that have made me familiar with how to flow and be personable for the short while. I have sales and sale-closing experience (the last few years i have been selling diamonds and designer jewelry in Los-Cabos Mexico). in my taxi there is always a pleasant scent and nice music on the radio (I have Sirius, so it’s usually ‘Spa’, ‘Blues’, or ‘Stern’ for those I can sense will enjoy it). Further, I pretty much know where I’m going (I am originally from NYC). I’m neat, well mannered, etc. etc... all this to say that as far as what yellow-cab drivers are supposed to supply, I believe I supply it.

    In my short time driving I have found, although there are people that are genuine and polite who recognized a human being is sitting up front there. Many many are just plain entitled obnoxious ingrates. Period. I say this even in disagreement with milleniumcab who is VERY generous and kind in the way he prescribes patience. Further I say, it’s very difficult to repeatedly begin again with every new passenger, and lift one’s head out the fox-hole just to have it shot off again. I mean look, I’m driving a cab I’m not the Maitre d' from Tavern on the Greene… I ADMIRE and TREMENDOUSLY value doing things well and correctly, but There is only so much I think it makes sense to give for people who might, maybe, sometimes, in their kindness and their grace, tip me a dollar fifty-something for my efforts instead of asking for the bloody fifty cents change... most times I try to find the Zen in the taxiing anyway, but I just wanted to make the point.


    A classic example of the usual takes place almost everyday (at least once) at shift change. As many New Yorkers know, at around four-thirty it can become impossible to catch a cab in the city, as many cabs go off duty and head back to their garage. The taxi shift generally runs from five to five SHARP and the next driver is waiting for the car to get right to work. Something that many new Yorkers may not know, as millenniumcab explained, a cab driver is under a lot of pressure to squeeze every last dollar he can into his day, so as to cover the ‘lease’, gas, and other expenses, and have enough left over as profit to justify getting up at three every morning every day.

    Now, the usual procedure for drivers going back to switch is to put the ‘off duty’ light on and head to the garage while looking out for a ‘going my way’ fare. So you see the person with their hands up and ask them where they’re headed, and if it’s your direction or close you take them. If not, not. Perfectly legal by taxi code and an accepted part of the way it works to help the driver squeeze by and get the passenger where they’re going- maybe... (the off duty light MUST be ON for it to be legal).

    So here’s the thing, (and I’m not talking about the people who will stand in the rain with there preschooler just ‘in-spite’, because their judgments declare it a sordid filthy taxiness to try and pick and choose you’re fares if you’re ‘off duty’ light is on. I’ve seen this more than a few times, but I do respect the conviction…)


    So, NOT those people, but here’s the thing with another sub-group: they flag you down, and you stop and apologize and say “miss I’m sorry but I’m going back to the garage now. But tell me, Where are you headed? maybe I can take you?” And the people are all love, smiles, and tenderness, and they are like “can you please please please please take me? I will never ever get a cab and I absolutely NEED to be” wherever they need to be… “please please please!!!” now if (heaven forefend!) you cannot take them, or better, once you’ve agreed and they have already gotten IN to your taxicab, you need just a few moments and attitude will gush forth in a rich joyous cascade of snooty entitlement (Please imagine for yourself the whiney, sex-and-the-city voice): “What are you doing? I said the FAR corner!”, “why are you going THIS way? I like to go THAT way!”, “well it IS just off the corner but I don’t want to walk, you need to make the turn!”, “well if you COULDN’T take me- WHY did you stop!?”, and of course, my personal favorite, directly proportional to how much traffic and difficulty you encountered while completing this job, “can I have fifty-cents change?”...

    But hey, as another driver I know always says to me, “never easily let your guard down! you get that really nice passenger and you get fuzzy inside like any normal f-cking human being. and then the next passenger comes in- and you give them the full treatment and more. and she of course is one of the many obnoxious, entitled, self absorbed f-cking $$%#s (starts with a ‘c’) that abound in New York City Taxicabs (these folks don’t take subways), and you end up feeling terrible for the rest of the day. You gotta watch yourself!”

    And so there you have it: eight out of ten it’s the women not the men, and many of them are OUT to kick you cat around the block. Sometimes I’ve seen them using all kinds of sophisticated viciousness and snobbery (this is not an exaggeration, and I do not mean in response to a come-on or conversation started by the driver). It’s all power tripping and many just want a victim to let out on.

    This is the essence of the thing. Many people get in to the taxi, and they’ve had a tough day. A workmate or lover or whatever has hurt them and they want somewhere to pass it along and get their ego back... Why not steal it from the immigrant, worthless, uneducated, lowest denominator in New York City society that they will ever interact with? Why not?

    And so it goes.

  2. #32

    Default re: Typical NYC Taxi Drive attitude?

    Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    From this ^^ it sounds like you expect, right off the top, that anyone who enters your cab will be a POS.

    All the more reason to avoid taking cabs in NYC

    How nice it would be if a driver said just once: "Hello ... where can I take you?"
    one final thing i would like to add in reply to this post. almost always, depending on my store of patience, my habit on a passenger entering the taxi is "hi ... where can i take you?..." with repeating the destination back to them after i hear it.

    Now, if i would have a dollar for every time i give that and in reply I receive a gruff "blehblehbleh and blehblehbleh" with no hello; and when i repeat the location, and if i didn't hear it correctly (it's hard to hear through the glass and some people find it sophisticated not to have to raise their precious voices) if i had a dollar for every time i get a nasty "I SAID blehblehbleh and blehblehbleh!"; or if i even just got a dollar for every time that when i try to clarify some detail with the passenger i get a condescending "just take me to blehblehbleh!"; than i would not have to drive a taxi at all anymore.

  3. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    From this ^^ it sounds like you expect, right off the top, that anyone who enters your cab will be a POS.

    All the more reason to avoid taking cabs in NYC

    How nice it would be if a driver said just once: "Hello ... where can I take you?"
    final final thing lofter, if you notice the blue glow of the sirius radio on a cab you're about to flag down? please do avoid taking MY yellow cab... you seem like exactly the sort of person that makes my day unpleasant.

  4. #34
    Chief Antagonist Ninjahedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Rutherford
    Posts
    12,773

    Default

    Um........

    OK.

    /me plugs ears as me walks down 6th avenue near stop light.


    Admittedly though, I am also combining NYCTLC cabs with some other independant cab companies that do not care as much for their drivers.

    It is understandable though. A guy zipping around the city in a yellow ford sedan..... How else are you going to categorize them!

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by milleniumcab
    But consider this as a scenario.....You have paid $125 to drive that cab for the shift and you know that you are going to spend another ( minimum) $60.00 for gas, food, water and whateverelse....That cab is costing you $185 before any profit...Would you be pissed off if I got in and said BROOOKLYN, please...Listen , don't get me wrong, I would not have evicted you from my cab, I would not even be mad about it, becaues if your destination is Brooklyn , hey it's Brooklyn))....
    (Brooklyn , Queens and the Bronx, the yellow Cab Drivers just can not get a fare, any fare ....)
    95% of the time I never question a cabby's route. Sometimes they're off but you never really know. Used to be the Manhattan Bridge was ALWAYS faster than the Brooklyn, but lately I've gotten trapped on the Manhattan too.

    I have no sympathy for cabbies who give me attitude about going to Brooklyn, sorry. It's the job. Parts of my job I love, parts I grit my teeth and tolerate. That's life.

  6. #36
    Disgruntled Optimist lofter1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC - Downtown
    Posts
    32,654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cabbyman
    ... if you notice the blue glow of the sirius radio on a cab you're about to flag down? please do avoid taking MY yellow cab...
    Duly noted.

    Will avoid you at all costs

  7. #37
    Disgruntled Optimist lofter1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC - Downtown
    Posts
    32,654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cabbyman
    ... As many New Yorkers know, at around four-thirty it can become impossible to catch a cab in the city, as many cabs go off duty and head back to their garage. The taxi shift generally runs from five to five SHARP ...
    Thnaks for the clarification, cabbyman.

    Above is another example that those who make the big decisions are often dimwits (Who would be the decider in this? The medallion holders? The NYC TLC?).

    Probably one of the time periods when cabs are most in demand is 4P - 6P. To place the shift change right at that time neither serves the cabbies nor the potential passengers.

    The gas station around the corner from me is always jam-packed with dozens of cabs gassing up at that time, and an available taxi on the street is near impossible to find.

    Don't bother me so much -- I walk and take the subway

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    Thnaks for the clarification, cabbyman.

    Above is another example that those who make the big decisions are often dimwits (Who would be the decider in this? The medallion holders? The NYC TLC?).

    Probably one of the time periods when cabs are most in demand is 4P - 6P. To place the shift change right at that time neither serves the cabbies nor the potential passengers.

    The gas station around the corner from me is always jam-packed with dozens of cabs gassing up at that time, and an available taxi on the street is near impossible to find.

    Don't bother me so much -- I walk and take the subway
    The decider is the basic economics of leasing.. shift is 12 hours and each driver must get a rush hour in order to make it fair-even split...

  9. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clarknt67
    95% of the time I never question a cabby's route. Sometimes they're off but you never really know. Used to be the Manhattan Bridge was ALWAYS faster than the Brooklyn, but lately I've gotten trapped on the Manhattan too.

    I have no sympathy for cabbies who give me attitude about going to Brooklyn, sorry. It's the job. Parts of my job I love, parts I grit my teeth and tolerate. That's life.

    You are right Clark, it is part of the job...
    I was only trying to explain why some cabbies might have a problem with taking you to Brooklyn or any other outer- borough...

    And... the traffic sooooo unpredictable lately, isn't it?

  10. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge
    Um........

    OK.

    /me plugs ears as me walks down 6th avenue near stop light.


    Admittedly though, I am also combining NYCTLC cabs with some other independant cab companies that do not care as much for their drivers.

    It is understandable though. A guy zipping around the city in a yellow ford sedan..... How else are you going to categorize them!
    ..some other independent cab companies...??? are you still talking about yellow cabs ?

  11. #41
    Senior Member Zerlina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palermo, Italy
    Posts
    213

    Default Woman?

    [quote=milleniumcab]----There are a few woman, driving a cab. You got to be real lucky to get one))

    Well... I met a woman cab driver only once in my life...
    I was in Rome and she took me to the airport... believe me guys... she looked like a man and, waiting for my luggage she smoked cigars too!!!

  12. #42
    Chief Antagonist Ninjahedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Rutherford
    Posts
    12,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by milleniumcab
    ..some other independent cab companies...??? are you still talking about yellow cabs ?
    Indian Way.

    (In particular).

    Oh, BTW, since when is it a curse to make the shift go from, say, 3 to 3?

    I know that makes the morning commute horrible, but you could also just split it at say 2AM, about the time the bars let out and people want rides home (A ying/yang benefit there) AND you still get the morning commute.

    5 PM as the swing is VERY impractical!

  13. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge
    Indian Way.

    (In particular).

    Oh, BTW, since when is it a curse to make the shift go from, say, 3 to 3?

    I know that makes the morning commute horrible, but you could also just split it at say 2AM, about the time the bars let out and people want rides home (A ying/yang benefit there) AND you still get the morning commute.

    5 PM as the swing is VERY impractical!
    The fleets have that figured out... They have to make sure every cab has an equal chance of getting leased out..

    any shift wiil temper with the amount of cabs on the road, throughout the day.. you don't want that either...for example, if you gave me an option of 3am to 3pm or 3pm to 3am shift.. I wuold take 3pm to 3am on certain days and 3am to 3pm on others..I am sure most will feel the same way..then what do you do with the second shift, have the cabs sit idle???

  14. #44
    Disgruntled Optimist lofter1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC - Downtown
    Posts
    32,654

    Default

    But how does the breakdown from 5A - 5P - 5A give a full "rush hour" shift?

    As you stated: At 5P (the start of the afternoon rush) is when all the cabbies are switching cabs and gassing up so they are missing out on the start of the rush hour period.

  15. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cabbyman
    one final thing i would like to add in reply to this post. almost always, depending on my store of patience, my habit on a passenger entering the taxi is "hi ... where can i take you?..." with repeating the destination back to them after i hear it.

    Now, if i would have a dollar for every time i give that and in reply I receive a gruff "blehblehbleh and blehblehbleh" with no hello; and when i repeat the location, and if i didn't hear it correctly (it's hard to hear through the glass and some people find it sophisticated not to have to raise their precious voices) if i had a dollar for every time i get a nasty "I SAID blehblehbleh and blehblehbleh!"; or if i even just got a dollar for every time that when i try to clarify some detail with the passenger i get a condescending "just take me to blehblehbleh!"; than i would not have to drive a taxi at all anymore.
    To be judged by actions of others.....this is one thing I will never get used to cabbyman...

    But my cab is my place of business, and people know I am all about respect, the second they walk in...I make sure they do...after that if they are still in their own little world, I'll let them stay there and start feeling sorry for them for living such a miserable life )))

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New York Taxi
    By Edward in forum New York City Guide For Visitors
    Replies: 699
    Last Post: May 26th, 2016, 05:18 AM
  2. New York Water Taxi Ferries
    By noharmony in forum New York City Guide For Visitors
    Replies: 115
    Last Post: March 17th, 2015, 10:13 AM
  3. taxi rates?
    By abbygirl in forum Questions and Answers about New York City
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 13th, 2005, 09:49 PM
  4. Question regarding typical language in offering plans
    By Engine9 in forum New York Real Estate
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 22nd, 2005, 08:50 PM
  5. Study Finds More Immigrant Taxi Drivers
    By Kris in forum New York City Guide For New Yorkers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 6th, 2004, 10:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Google+ - Facebook - Twitter - Meetup

Edward's photos on Flickr - Wired New York on Flickr - In Queens - In Red Hook - Bryant Park - SQL Backup Software