Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Typical Taxi Driver attitude?

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    But how does the breakdown from 5A - 5P - 5A give a full "rush hour" shift?

As you stated: At 5P (the start of the afternoon rush) is when all the cabbies are switching cabs and gassing up so they are missing out on the start of the rush hour period.
    Agreed. It was difficult finding a cab when getting out of work a bit early. There were times we needed to get to Port Authority leaving at about 5pm and it took forever to get a cab. It was faster to take the subway than to wait for a cab to take us strait up Hudson to 8th avenue!

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    But how does the breakdown from 5A - 5P - 5A give a full "rush hour" shift?

As you stated: At 5P (the start of the afternoon rush) is when all the cabbies are switching cabs and gassing up so they are missing out on the start of the rush hour period.
    I think the problem is not as big as we like to think. Now days, with the dollar surcharge that kicks in at 4pm, most cabs are trying their best to minimuze the time it takes to change shift.. In my opnion certain times of the day, you could double the amount of cabs, it still wont be enough...
    it will always be difficult to hail one in residential neighborhoods in the morning rush and business district in the evening rush...

I do have ideas on how to improve the availibility of cabs but thats a totaly new thread

[quote=Zerlina]
    Quote Originally Posted by milleniumcab
    ----There are a few woman, driving a cab. You got to be real lucky to get one))

Well... I met a woman cab driver only once in my life...
    I was in Rome and she took me to the airport... believe me guys... she looked like a man and, waiting for my luggage she smoked cigars too!!!
    ))))) LMAO

Most of my cab experiences have been pleasant enough. No real complaints.

But, I do have one fun story.

I was walking along the streets, close to Times Square, and at a small intersection was prepared to walk across the street...

There was one car stopped about to take a right hand turn...

And there was a cab, going about 40mph, that was coming up along behind him, and the weirdest thing happened...

He didn't slow down.

He plowed right into the other cars back and I nearly got smacked by the momentum of the first car jerking through the intersection.

I remember the cab had a passenger in the backseat who very calmy took off his seatbelt, opened up the door, cursed his driver, and walked away.

God, I love this city.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by NyC MaNiAc

I remember the cab had a passenger in the backseat who very calmy took off his seatbelt, opened up the door, cursed his driver, and walked away.

God, I love this city.
    Now that's NEW YORK...

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

What's there to love? And what's so New York about it?
    Lousy driving, inattentive and/or aggressive drivers can be found everywhere.

CABBIES UN-FARE TO PASSENGERS: CITY

By ERIN CALABRESE

June 9, 2006 -- Two Queens cabbies were arrested when they really took their customers for a ride - overcharging them for a trip to Brooklyn from Kennedy Airport, police said.
    Emmanuel Cotin, 49, and Serge Fouyolle, 60, allegedly charged the riders - who were working as undercover investigators from the city's Department of Investigation - more than 21/2 times the proper fare.

Although a flat-rate of $45 plus tolls applies for rides from JFK to Manhattan, trips from the airport to other boroughs are metered.

The men were part of a group of 13 taxi drivers who were issued violations by the DOI on Tuesday for charges ranging from failure to show Taxi and Limousine Commission licenses to overcharging passengers.

The two hacks were charged with misdemeanors after undercover DOI agents posed as non-English-speaking tourists and asked to be taken to Brooklyn with a handwritten note.

The cases will be referred to the Queen's County District Attorney's Office for charges of fraudulent accosting and petit larceny. If convicted, both men could face up to a year in jail.

Copyright 2006 NYP Holdings, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    What's there to love? And what's so New York about it?
    It is the humor in the whole sceene.That's what's to love and that's soooo New York..

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    CABBIES UN-FARE TO PASSENGERS: CITY

By ERIN CALABRESE

June 9, 2006 -- Two Queens cabbies were arrested when they really took their customers for a ride
    They deserve everything that's coming to them, greedy bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by milleniumcab
    It is the humor in the whole sceene.That's what's to love and that's soooo New York..
    And I'm trying to say that type of scene is not atypical in New York only.

Which sceene do you mean; 1) a car hitting another one or 2) the passenger of a cab calmly gets out and walks away as he curses the driver , after an accident..

The first one is definitely not atypical of NYC but the second one is.

I think you just missed the whole damn thing.

Hey Cabbyman, Millineum, how's business these days?

Quote Originally Posted by milleniumcab View Post
    Which sceene do you mean; 1) a car hitting another one or 2) the passenger of a cab calmly gets out and walks away as he curses the driver , after an accident..

The first one is definitely not atypical of NYC but the second one is.

I think you just missed the whole damn thing.
    How many accidents a day Millenium?

At a rough guess?

(Not all caused by the cabbies, Im sure).

Not had too many experiences with NYC cabbies - but those I have have been ok

The 5pm shift change may explain the problem my friends & I had getting a cab to JFK from midtown at about 4-30pm one day a couple of years ago.
    Guess if we waited til after 5pm it shouldn't have been a problem, ride out to airport and assuming a fair gaurantee of a fare back.

Last few times we've caught cabs driver been on cell the entire journey, little or no English spoken and only time he addressed us (after saying we said "hi" etc) was
    Where do you want to go?
    What cross street?

Not unpleasant by any stretch of the imagination - but not the most welcome ride into your city either - HOWEVER not remotely convinced it would be any better anywhere else in the world

Most of my experiences with cabbies have been pleasant enough. Some are quiet, others respond in kind when you attempt to talk with them. If any do not initiate conversations on their own, it is likely because they are either uncomfortable with their command of the language, or would not presume that passengers prefer idle chatter over a moment of solitude.

I use cabs fairly frequently and seldom encounter drivers with poor attitudes. You get back what you put in.

IMO we should cut them some slack. These guys have the toughest job in the city. In addition to the stress of driving around the city all day, they lease cars from medallion owners at fairly hefty rates, and earn little in return. For the most part long hours are required just to break even, and 12 hour shifts are the norm.

The deck is stacked against them. On one hand market conditions drive the price they pay to lease the cars. The medallion owners can pretty much charge what they want to lease their cars as long as there is demand for drivers and lets face it, right now there is demand. On the the other, price restrictions control what they can charge even when consumer demand would dictate higher pricing. And they do not have the option of rejecting fares for better opportunities. They get all the downside of market pricing but none of the up.

Go to LGA sometime and take a look at the taxi que. It is ridiculous. I have no idea how these people are able to earn enough to live on.

Finally, despite some of what is written here, for the most part, I find the drivers to be fairly knowledgeable about the city and the fastest way to get around it. And I do believe the city requires training and testing .Occasionally this proves not to be the case. Once in a while a driver will suggest the FDR when I am on Lex or something, that always annoys me, but that stuff is pretty rare. If riding in a cab is not always a great value, blame the Medallion owners, they are the ones making the killing. Cabbies do not earn extravagant incomes.

I agree it is not London, but generally these guys do good work.
    Last edited by eddhead; August 11th, 2009 at 02:49 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast