Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Typical Taxi Driver attitude?

If breaking even was so hard wouldn't there be more cabbies who make the extra effort to be friendly and helpful? Or to even just not be on their phones. The average for me was silence or they were on the phone. I met one friendly cabbie in my time in the city, who was delighted to help me with a large load I had, he received a large tip.

I'd say 9 out of 10 cabbies are nice and pleasant. Most of them talk on phones, but I don't really mind that as long as they are paying attention when I enter and when I want to leave their cab. I've had some great conversations with the ones that aren't on the phones. One of my cabbies just a few weeks ago was a former "semi-pro" chess player that spoke 7 languages fluent (I tested him, he wasn't BSing). Not surprisingly, he was Russian Anyway, I think generally they are good, and driving hasn't been too bad. I've had few, if any, cabbies that drive more aggressively than I do myself, so maybe that colors my perspective.

I only had a conversation once with a cabbie... it was a million years ago when there were still old time NY cab drivers and Checker cabs. It was at night and I was traveling alone. I noticed that the driver seemed to be staring at me and a couple of times he seemed to turn around to look at me. When we got to my stop, I paid with tip and he looked right at me and said: "you have a good night Mr. O'Neil". What? He was convinced he had Ryan O'Neil in his cab.

If any cab driver said that to me today, I'd probably commit suicide.

Default Love handles mean never having to say you're sorry.

Ew. Time does take it's toll but he's like 17 years older than me... we'll see (when he did LoveStory he was supposed to be 18 but was 30). I used to get Ryan O'Neal a lot... today occasinally I hear Alec Baldwin:

http://www.usmagazine.com/files/baldwin_blog.jpg

Or Jeff Bridges in the Great Lebowski

http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/img/1...4833-large.jpg

It depends on the length of my hair and how much I've been drinking.

--

Ryan O'Neal in better days (I love the lyrics to this):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO_J4...eature=related

--
    Last edited by Fabrizio; August 17th, 2009 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    I only had a conversation once with a cabbie... it was a million years ago when there were still old time NY cab drivers and Checker cabs. It was at night and I was traveling alone. I noticed that the driver seemed to be staring at me and a couple of times he seemed to turn around to look at me. When we got to my stop, I paid with tip and he looked right at me and said: "you have a good night Mr. O'Neil". What? He was convinced he had Ryan O'Neil in his cab.

If any cab driver said that to me today, I'd probably commit suicide.
    I would prefer if the taxi driver kept his eyes on the road and helped me with my bags and lets me be.

It's always a pleasure when that happens.

^ 30 years ago it was a pleasure to be confused with Ryan O'Neal. Believe me.

---

I have an Italian friend whose English is only so-so... he asked a cab driver if he could be taken downtown, the driver responded "jump in!" My friend loved that... some crazy American slang he had not learned from his English lessons. "Jump in!" He says it for everything... if you knock on his door he will tell you to "jump in!"

--
    Last edited by Fabrizio; August 21st, 2009 at 07:05 PM.

Haha that Jump In story was cute.

Speaking of cute, I see to have a liking for cabbies and find a lot of them quite hot. Dunno why.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Back in the old days it was a lot of fun to pick them up, if the bars were slow.

True story: my friend from Brooklyn was going home one night from Manhattan. He chatted up the cab driver... an Arab... Tunisian ... Algerian or something like that. He invited the driver up to his apartment. They drank. My friend made some moves and the driver got violent and tried to rape him.

My friend could not really press charges or anything like that but the experience left him devastated. So he contacted a therapist he had seen a few years ago to at least talk over what had happened. My friend went down to the street to hail a cab to go to his appointment. He got in and while riding noticed that the driver taking him to his therapist appointment was the very guy who tried to rape him: "I was sitting there having the biggest panic attack of my life.... needless to say, I did not tip him!"

Damn stache, guess I was just born too late after the good old days.

And that is horrible Fabrizio! Hopefully your friend is better now, out of all the cabs and people in the city, he just had to get the same guy again, fate is cruel!

I'm actually "seeing" a cab driver at the moment, but that's a story for another time and website. lol.

I don't see why they have to drive like maniacs. I was in a cab last night when it was pouring and you'd think the rain would slow him down. Nope. He drove as if everyone was out to cut him off. It's funny when you first come to NYC and witness it, but after a while it gets old.

Default To cab drivers

Hello there! I was a cab driver 10 years ago in the city of New York. I get my licence from TLC in 1994 and I was driving Ford crown for 3 years in the city.I wonna ask cab drivers about the money they are making today.Buck to the old days I was making:monday-80 $,thu-80,wed-100,thu-100,fri-120,sat-150.Sundays I was of duty.What about today bussines,did the cab drivers are making the same money or more?Can anybody answer me that? Thanks guys!

If u cn reed this, u coud bee a cab drivr

Turns out my Taxi driver is one Kinky man.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast