Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Typical Taxi Driver attitude?

Question Typical Taxi Driver attitude?

I'm sorry if these questions are already ask, please lead me to where its already been asked to.

I am wondering what a typical taxi driver attitude is? How do they usually treat visiters/ people in NYC? Are they nice/ mean. What should people expect from a NYC taxi driver?

Is the ride bouncy? Smooth? Slow? Long?

There is no real typical attitude.

Some are nice, some arent. Some are psycho drivers. We had one that had his walkman on and could not hear us telling him to stop as we almost passed our drop off point. He also swerved the car to the beat of whatever he was listening to. It was downright scary.

MOST cab drivers are aggressive drivers, and a lot do not speak english as their first language. Unlike in England, there is no real course or requirement for new cabbies in NYC. You could easily end up with a cabbie that does not know where you are going....

So just be aware of this, and also be aware that NY is big, but sometimes it is faster just to walk to where you need to go....

Travel to any destination in the five boroughs of the City of New York;
    A courteous, English-speaking driver who knows the streets in Manhattan and the way to major destinations in other boroughs;
    A driver who knows and obeys all traffic laws;
    A radio-free (silent) trip;
    A driver who uses the horn only when necessary to warn of danger.
    Ha...ha...ha...riight

Default re: typical ny yellow taxi driver attitude

i'm american born and raised, and i have been driving a yellow cab in new york for about six months now to help pay for school.

please know whoever reads this, that many cab drivers are relatively intelligent guys that just need some way to produce ready cash. many are in a foreign country with out any connections to get them in to something else right away. furthermore most of them speak english perfectly fine.

when one has to deal with the self absorbed, obnoxious, paris-hilton attitude of most new yorkers on a day to day basis, one learns to pretend not to understand a single word. when people that will drop fifty to a hundred dollars at a club without blinking, or do a show and dinner for three/four hundred over a weekend, start to play bullshit games with you over fifty-cents in change... and this, of course, after they've asked you- and you've done all kinds of this and that for them... and you do this day after day for twelve hours straight...

believe me, when people treat you as if you are the lowest form of life, but expect to be accorded the highest respects and considerations (and even if you do the 'perfect' job they will still ask you for the fifty cents change) you also will begin to turn up the volume on that ipod, chat away with your family and friends on you cell phone, and drive like a complete ****ing lunatic if you feel like.

From this ^^ it sounds like you expect, right off the top, that anyone who enters your cab will be a POS.

All the more reason to avoid taking cabs in NYC

How nice it would be if a driver said just once: "Hello ... where can I take you?"

I believe the cabbie's attitude reflects his passenger's. The decision's made in the first second: how you get in the cab is crucial, and how you greet the cabbie.

Years ago I was a supercilious SOB and so were the cabbies. Nowadays I choose not to be a jerk, and the cabbies are pussycats and sweethearts.

Can't be that the cabbies changed so much all by themselves.

Last edited by ablarc; May 21st, 2006 at 08:52 AM.

Default Attitude?

The taxi driver I met in NY were kind and... they spoke a lot!!! But I don't think that's THE attitude of all of them!

See? Zerlina, you're clearly also a pussycat.

I've gotten into cabs on many occasions where the driver is in the midst of a conversation on their cell phone headset and speaking in a foreign language. They pause when you get in the cab to get your destination and then resume their conversation. I have no idea what they're talking about and who they're talking to but they are generally courteous and keep their voice down (unlike some other NYers on the bus and trains).

Default what???

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    See? Zerlina, you're clearly also a pussycat.
    Ablarc, I don't understand what you mean saying that I'm a pussycat. Can you give me an explaination, please? Thanks in advance!

From the American Heritage Dictionary:

puss•y•cat noun

Informal. One who is regarded as easygoing, mild-mannered, or amiable.

Taxidrivers are invariably courteous towards pussycats.

(forumers are, also)

From the American Heritage Dictionary:

puss•y•cat noun

Informal. One who is regarded as easygoing, mild-mannered, or amiable.

Taxidrivers are invariably courteous towards pussycats.

(forumers are, also)
    Thanks a lot, Ablarc! I'm Italian and I just can't speak a perfect American language! However, it's true... I'm easy going, kind and smiling... that's my way to live!

Quote Originally Posted by Zerlina
    I'm easy going, kind and smiling... that's my way to live!
    That's the only way to live.

I wish there were more like you.

That's the only way to live.

I wish there were more like you.
    Ohhh... that's very kind of you! I think that... life gets better when you smile!

If the driver isnt on the phone, I like to start conversations with them. Most seem to enjoy the company and will gladly talk with me.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast