Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flight 93 Memorial - Shanksville - Sommerset, Pennsylvania

I love these old threads.

Why do the families of victims of 9/11 think they can do whatever they want?

^^^^Disgraceful posts.

As living decedants of people who unjustly perished in acts that represent the sludge of human actions, I am hard pressed not give them as much as they want (and can give) to alleviate their loss and preserve the memory of their loved ones.

Show a little more compassion.

While the soldiers who perished since 09/11 get nothing.

I stand by my overblown comment.

Compassion isn't measured by size or expense.

Peoples loved ones are killed all the time. Should we give the land where every murder victim was killed over to their families to dictate? We all saw how some of the families acted at ground zero. This instance is ridiculous, why do they need so much land? 2200 acres! Im not being un-compassionate, they dont need a 2200 acre memorial to grieve like everyone else does when their loved ones die.

Yeah, well you see, in case it wasnt realized, this was a national tradegy. The families affected were the most severely impacted by not just a random muder as you dismiss it as being to be, alonzo, it was a deliberate attack and act of war in which innocent civilians perished at the hands of terrorist trying to make a revenge-based political statement.

These families are not doing anything wrong by what they ask...these are not some idiot NIMBY's complaining because they are going to have less sunlight on their block. These are people who lost family members and if they want to push the envelope on preserving some land to commerated their loved ones, so be it. I dont see see the big deal in that and why folks would get bothered about it. This is not about quantifying grief with acres of land but moreso showing a little more respect for the families of the victims.

The soldiers should and will get their memorials just a the WWI, II, Korean War, Vietnam did. Usually it is better to finish the war before we start erecting memorials. Well, that is unless you gullably believed that the mission was accomplished back in 2003. Then I guess the memorials are long overdue.

How do you build a Memorial for soldiers at the end of a war which will never end (the spenders in charge claim that the War Against Terror will continue as long as Terror exists)?

Listen Im well aware of the significance and horror of 911, non-americans died also. I dont see why they need 2200 acres. I think seizing private land for a grossly oversized memorial that is maybe 200 times bigger than the Ground Zero memorial is encroaching on peoples personal rights to ownership. I think the families use the horror of those events to guilt trip people into giving them exactly what they want, Im not going to walk on eggshells. I understand what happened that day, it was a global event. A 2200 acre memorial is disproportionate to the event.

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
    This is not about quantifying grief with acres of land but moreso showing a little more respect for the families of the victims.
    But it is about quantifying.

It's degenerated into legal battle involving Eminent Domain, number of acres, and value of the land.

On one side, there are charges that the owner is trying to get as much as possible for the land. On the other, charges that the US govt is reluctant to give fair value. In all these years, there have been only two assessments authorized by the NPS.

Would anyone notice if the acreage was 2000 instead of 2200?

Europe was bombed...thousands and thousands died. Could you image if we had memorials to everybody all over the place? A mature society gets on with it.

A small dignified reminder will do.

Go to church... have a mass...light a candle... or whatever your faith suggests.

These over blown memorials are crass and IMHO are not done for the dead but for the egos of the living.

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny View Post
    A 2200 acre memorial is disproportionate to the event.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    But it is about quantifying.

It's degenerated into legal battle involving Eminent Domain, number of acres, and value of the land.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    These over blown memorials are crass and IMHO are not done for the dead but for the egos of the living.
    Im not saying its not a lot but I am not going to judge their requests or intentions because I was lucky enough not to loose anybody who was close to me on 9/11; thus who am to talk about what they should or should not get? Presuming you were lucky enough to not loose anyone on that day you should really tone down the disparaging remarks about their requests.

I for one will give them the benefit of the doubt that this is how they really feel...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonik View Post
    Flight 93 families ask Bush to OK land seizure
    "I think the rest of the family members and I feel there is no point at which we will stop," White said. "Whatever it takes. As long as it takes. Whoever it takes. To do anything less would be doing a disservice to those that we love."

Trepye: their particular feelings do not matter any more than the rest of us.

It was a crime against everybody. We are all in this together. It's not just about them and their feelings.

My town went through WWII. There's a plaque at the train station dedicated to the Jews who parted from the train station here. Another plaque to people gunned down by fascists in a park... and so on. That's what they got: a plaque... poignant, tasteful and sincere.

--
    Last edited by Fabrizio; December 30th, 2008 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
    thus who am to talk about what they should or should not get?
    For the same reason that murder trial juries are composed of people with no connection to the crime victim.

Ordinary people can arrive at intelligent and compassionate decisions. It happens all the time.

A true justification for the 2200 acres would be for the government to come out and say that Flight 93 was shot out of the sky and that the debris field covered this large an area.

Of course this would clash with the official narrative that the passengers of this flight are HEROES because they fought back against the hijackers in the 'first battle of the war on terror'.

The landowner might be shrewdly trying to see how much the Feds are willing to pay to keep their story intact.

When flight 587 crashed in a residential neighborhood in the Rockaways, there were calls from some family members to forcibly acquire the property of the houses that were destroyed, not allowing the owners to rebuild and return.

Fortunately, more rational heads prevailed, and after some locations were considered, the areas main street, B116th was selected, at the Boardwalk.

It's not the exact location of the crash, but has much more prominence. It's rather nice.

http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com/b...rial/index.htm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast