Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Policy regarding the use of quotes

Default Policy regarding the use of quotes

Wired New York Forum members must follow certain guidelines regarding their posts in order for the forum to be easily readable and accessible by others. One of the aspects of making the forum user friendly is the proper use of quotes. Here I set down the rules regarding quoting.

1. The purpose of quoting is to make clear to which previous poster the post refers to or to which phrase of the previous poster it refers to.

2. Improper use of quoting negatively affects usability of the forum for other forum members.

3. If you are replying to a last post, there is not need to use quotes, since it would be assumed that your post refers to that last post.

4. If you need only to make apparent to which previous poster you are answering, consider the use of expressions of the type “In regards to the post of So-and-so above…” and “As So-and-so so eloquently remarked in his post…” instead of quoting.

5. Quoting entire post is not acceptable, unless such post is a short sentence.

6. When making a quote, leave only relevant sentence in the quote, deleting the rest. The length of the quote should never exceed one sentence.

Telling people how to quote is very condescending in my opinion. Nothing personal Edward.

Perhaps to you it's a trivial skill, but many members use quoting in such a way that it reduces the readability of the forums, and it has to be addressed.

Didn't mean it that way Edward. Meant you are being condescending by limiting the way people can use quotes. You can argue its for readability purposes. I think its insulting to your posters. Just my opinion. Nothing personal. Its your forum. I run a forum as well. Would never think of doing that.

How is instructing posters not to quote entire articles previously posted, rather than just stating in reference to the article, condescending or insulting?

It is just forum structure - the same as limiting the size of images.

Everybody has their own style of posting and no one style is correct or incorrect. To tell people quotes should be just one sentence long is dictating posting style. Everybody has their own tastes. I sure don't mind whole quotes of posts personally. Somebody else might think quoting is totally unnecessary. To dictate style is certainly limiting to a poster and telling him or her there is a wrong style and a right style. Just not true. We all have individual tastes. No big deal. Its not my forum.

oops used an old screen name. Sorry about that. I had trouble logging in with that name years ago so I changed it. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Muscle13
    Everybody has their own style of posting and no one style is correct or incorrect.
    Foreigners post here. It may be more in their style to post in their native language, but English is required to post in this forum.

You are not being asked to change what you have to say, only they way you present what others have already posted.

I would agree if you said it was easier to just hit the quote button rather than cut and paste a sentence, but it's not insulting.

also Quoting a lot (especially a big articles) takes alot of space in the server that is been use.

Maybe that is one of the reasons for not using alot of Quotes... at least that is my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp

You are not being asked to change what you have to say, only they way you present what others have already posted.
    Presentation is an individual style. Will you ask us all to have perfect grammar next? Will I ever be limited to one paragraph posts, one sentence posts, or one word quotes? Will I have to refer to others as sir or madam? I understand this is not a big deal but I find it very insulting to posters to dictate presentation. No one style is better than any other style. Just because Edward likes one sentence quotes doesn't mean I do. Its individual tastes. I would never tell a poster how to present their posts whether I hated it or loved it.

I have run into many posters in forums that can't spell well. Is it tough to read sometimes? Yes. Do these posts detract from a message board? Not in my opinion. Some of the best, most informative posts I have ever read on forums have had a ton of misspelled words. I would never even consider telling these posters to write more clearly. Never.

Quote Originally Posted by muscle1313
    Will I have to refer to others as sir or madam?
    That is a splendid idea! That would be a wonderful way to make the discourse friendlier - each quotation would have to be accompanied by something like "My dear fellow, in response to your remark..." - I will have to work out the exact expression.

Funny.

Off topic Edward. Do you think friendlier forums makes for better forums? Things do get out of hand sometimes, but I find arguments do tend to make forums much more informative.
    Last edited by muscle1313; July 14th, 2005 at 02:49 PM. Reason: To eliminate a quote - Honest! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by muscle1313
    Will you ask us all to have perfect grammar next? Will I have to refer to others as sir or madam?
    Conjecture on any future rules has no bearing on this one rule.

And you still miss the point. The "rules" you fear might be initiated have nothing to do with how you would present your thoughts. You are merely being asked not to repeat something that was already presented.

Some forums allow threads to meander off topic. We try to discourage that here, but it does not mean that the post is inappropriate. It is in the wrong place.

Are these rules insulting? No one else has complained.

As for whether these rules produce a worthwhile forum, I think the result speaks for itself.

[QUOTE=ZippyTheChimp]

Are these rules insulting? No one else has complained.

[QUOTE]

Thats fine Zippy. That quote from you is good enough for me to leave the forum for good. Take care guys. Its been fun.

Forum Veteran

I know text alone is a very inadequate way to communicate, but wow, I don't follow this at all. What's the subtext? What's the backstory? So much intrigue from what's on the thread...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast