Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Arman Building - 482 Greenwich Street - Condo - by McKay Architecture

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

The latest look...

Image from RKF.

I like it...with that and the zinc building that little area will be sweet

Now why the heck would anyone want that much glass ^^^ down low facing all the traffic coming towards you on Canal Street?

Similar situation at ONYX on Eighth Avenue -- where all the lower floor units with floor to ceiling glass facing south will see nothing but headlights all evening long.

Seems you'd have to keep the drapes / shades pulled so what's the point of huge expanses of glass?

And how did that design ^^^ evolve from this \/ which was approved last September ???

I think the latest redesign is much better than that one^.

Btw, this site isn't within a historic district, therefore the design doesn't need to be approved. The approval last Sept. were for certain zoning variances.

Banned Member

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I like cleaner lines on a building. The new rendering is a mess. What does this structure want to be?

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post

this site isn't within a historic district, therefore the design doesn't need to be approved. The approval last Sept. were for certain zoning variances.
    Correct ... it had to go through Board of Standards and Appeals (BSA) which allowed the configuration I show. That is why I asked how it now morphed into a structure with many more floors in a tower portion -- which were nowhere visible in the previous rendering.

Unless it was just the angle

I agree with BR -- the new rendering is a mess of a building.

They both have 11 stories. I don't know why you think there are more floors in the tower portion.

All they did was created a setback on the Canal St. side, where there was none before. It has become slender in appearance, which is always a plus.

You're right -- the massing had me fooled -- and I didn't count the floors.

The first has a base of 7 stories with a small setback and then 3 more and another set back for a PH.

The latest version has a base of 5 stories then a larger setback for the tower of 6 stories.

The balconies on the newer version are awkward looking.

IMO the first version is a stronger piece of architectural design.

But that could simply be the variation in perspectives shown in the renderings.

But who wants to pay these vast amounts of $$ to live right on Canal Street anyway?

Has this one started construction yet?

Here are a couple of renderings from this website... http://www.mckay-architects.com/

THE ARMAN BUILDING, 482 GREENWICH ST, NEW YORK CITY

18,000 square foot 10 story new building. This new residential building is being developed for Centrum Properties Inc. of Chicago. The project is being design in collaboration with the world renowned artist Arman Armand. It shall house a retail space, a gallery space, and condominium apartments. MA/D is providing all architectural design services, MEP and Structural engineering consultant coordination and local Building department filing.

Currently in Construction Documents Phase.

anyone know when this will start construction?

Cool Status Request

Yes, I forgot about this project; but I do not know the status. I will subscribe to this thread in the event somone posts some news on the project.

DOB shows fro 482 Greenwich / 523 Canal that a DEMO PERMIT was issued on 6.12.07

DOB also shows a Permit for EXCAVATION was issued on 5.16.07:
    Filing herewith for Limited excavation and temporary construction fence in conjunction with NB 104467097. No change in use egress or occupancy
    The NEW BUILDING Application shows that the Plan has been APPROVED -- but seemingly Permit(s) not yet issued.

Post 482 Greenwich Street

I was reading recently about the Sanitation Garage planned for this area and was reminded of this project: I can see the permits were issued - but, wondering if they went ahead with construction.

The 'site' of the proposed garage can be seen in the far background of the site photo.

As a side note, and in considering that garage project. Imagine over a hundred huge garbage trucks barreling through those narrow streets and among the many small scale residential buildings in the vicinity: the folks in the area who oppose this project have a good case - but, it may be too late to change the plans for this site.
    Last edited by infoshare; April 5th, 2009 at 10:05 AM.

Nothing has happened here. The large billboard shines on.

I doubt garbage trucks will be using streets like Renwick and Greenwich Streets to get to the garage. Also, the neighborhood is still mostly commercial. The city should have never let the handful of residential buildings rise in Hudson Square in the first place. Now they have these nimby's to deal with.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast