Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: New Calatrava-designed Tower in Chicago to surpass Sears Tower

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio

I agree that the twisty-turning thing is fast becoming a cliche but the Calatrava building is at least an elegant rendition...
    I don't see how the bravura engineering in Calatrava's work is a cliche. Aside from his skyscraper in Sweden, what other examples are there--by him or by anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by JD
    I don't see how the bravura engineering in Calatrava's work is a cliche. Aside from his skyscraper in Sweden, what other examples are there--by him or by anyone else?
    Where do I say that the "engineering in Calatrava's work is a cliche". ?

I am speaking about the twisting walls... a style element that we have seen other many architects propose as well (built or unbuilt). BTW: at least judging by the renderings, I think this building is absolutely beautiful.

Fabrizio and JD, you guys are both right; there's no contradiction in the aggregate of what you've said.

I would add: it makes all the difference how well you do something.

Calatrava does everything well. Compare this building and Twisting Torso with the misbegotten mud-pie that was Freedom Tower.

You know what the auteur theory says...

That also explains why Quinlan Terry's good, though someone not especially versed in classical architecture might not be able to perceive his originality. That doesn't mean there is none; that just means people need to sharpen their powers of discrimination.

Some people can tell a Petrus from a Lafite; some can only tell a bordeaux from a burgundy; and others can do neither.

someone not especially versed in classical architecture might not be able to perceive his originality. That doesn't mean there is none; that just means people need to sharpen their powers of discrimination.
    There is a difference between variation and originality. When such a wide gap exists as between classicism and modernism, as well as other styles, a slight variation in classical content can no longer be considered as original as it would have been in 1763.

JD, you don't have to quote the entire post, and furthermore it violates the forum code of conduct.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I'm so glad you brought that up. Plus I would love to see more editing with the cut and pastes in general.

Quote Originally Posted by czsz
    There is a difference between variation and originality. When such a wide gap exists as between classicism and modernism, as well as other styles, a slight variation in classical content can no longer be considered as original as it would have been in 1763.
    Probably true. There's a coarsening of people's ability to make distinctions.

Okay, this is the information that I have so far...

Yes, the building is still in its conseptual stages, but so what, every great design must go through this process. There's always a bit of refining and fine tuning.

The lady at the sales center told me today, that they are getting many calls from prople who are seriously interested in the building. Where as Trump's building drew alot of the wealthy from the U.S, this building is drawing a lot if international interest. Some of these people are willing and ready to put money down NOW...

The flloor plans at this point are still incomplete, but she said that she believes that Calatrava is working with DeStafano + Partners on the interior layout.

Shawn and myself also got a chance to look at the building model. Oh, my , god... It's so ****ing SWEET...........

Also, the lady at the sales center sent me a copy of the press release package that was distributed this past wednesday. Below are some of the scanned pages of that package, some computer generated images of the model were also included, and I will post them when I get the chance..

Forum Veteran

All the best to Chicago and best of luck to Carley. It's about time that that city's tallest building was also truly among its most beautiful.

I am, however, a bit confused by Calatrava and Carley's logic as to how this building's use as a residential building, as opposed to an office tower, will somehow make it less likely to be targeted by terrorists. It's true that Al Qaeda or other related organizations would not be attacking the headquarters or office space of the major corporations located in Chicago if they plotted to attack Fordham Spire. But who is to say that they won't be tempted to assassinate the executives or other major figures in said companies, who might end up buying units in the building?

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Very good point. Terrorists are going after symbolism and publicity.

^ A residential building's much less densely occupied at its peak (nighttime) than an office building. They wouldn't get to kill nearly as many people.

This was in todays Chicago Tribune, Sunday July 31, 2005.

The Dude Abides

What can I tell you? Russia is just not that exciting. Chicago's hot right now, but I think it will take a route similar to Miami (as opposed to New York) when the real estate boom subsides.

What's up with that terrible base?

Quote Originally Posted by greenie
    What's up with that terrible base?
    Pretty bad, alright. It's the program as conveyor of marketing "savvy". Even three stories of retail's a stretch; they could consider a five or six story mall like Trump Tower's, or fill up the base with five or six stories of squared-off residential. Not being in the tower, this would fetch less per square foot.

Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast